Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 04:04 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,829,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebudstar View Post
actually the bill has to be in the name of the parent, or for instance if you live with someone you have to have a notarized paper stating that this child and parent are living with you and you are aware. I had to do this when I moved in with my parents after a divorce.
If these Mexican kids are living in the district (and also in the attendance zone of the school they're going to), they're good. They may have been sent to live with relatives or friends, as happens with a lot of kids in the US and countries other than Mexico. They may even have US citizenship on account of having been born here (or naturalized). If you're not a resident of the school district, whether you live in Texas, New Mexico or Chihuahua, then you have to apply for admission for your kid(s) and pay tuition if they're approved. I think it's several thousand dollars a year. Some people in Juarez have both the means and the inclination for that. If you don't live in the district and send your kid to a school in it anyway without going through the proper channels (like putting a fake address on the enrollment form), then your kid is a zone-jumper, and under Texas law, last time I checked, you're then arrestable for theft of services and the school district can sue you for restitution. I think the formula the law prescribes for the amount of restitution is the amount of money officially budgeted by the school district per student per day times the number of days your kid(s) were illegally enrolled, and probably times the number of kids that were illegally enrolled. This is the way it is in El Paso ISD, anyway (last time I checked the district's website), and I don't see why the other school districts serving El Paso wouldn't have similar policies.

Since Texas doesn't have an individual income tax and therefore has no revenue from it to share with cities like El Paso, they'll find other ways to raise the money they need to operate, like raising local taxes. The chances that Texas will impose an individual income tax in the foreseeable future are tiny to nil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 04:17 PM

643 posts, read 1,312,353 times
Has anyone ever been prosecuted for such a crime? I doubt it.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
Has anyone ever been prosecuted for such a crime? I doubt it.
Probably because the school districts say that in order to enroll your kids, you have to show proof of residency, like a utility bill.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:04 PM

43 posts, read 163,842 times
Wouldn't the teachers and school districts have an incentive to turn a blind eye to students and their parents who do not live in the district?

More students = more demand for teachers, schools = higher pay, more money for teachers, schools

Old 03-03-2012, 08:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,653,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runners View Post
Wouldn't the teachers and school districts have an incentive to turn a blind eye to students and their parents who do not live in the district?

More students = more demand for teachers, schools = higher pay, more money for teachers, schools
Yes, and the schools actually coach people who obviously don't live in the district and are trying to enroll their kids by telling them if they can't come up with a utility bill that has some name close to theirs, because the utility bill only has to be a relative or stranger with the same last name, they can get a letter from someone claiming to be a landlord instead.

28% increase in food stamps for El Paso reported in the El Paso Times today.

Food-stamp usage climbs 28% in El Paso - El Paso Times

El Paso completely avoided the recession, there are housing subdivisions going up everywhere, new businesses opening every time you turn around, but the article actually did hint at the real reason for the big spike in welfare recipients here:

The La Fe team also said some families that included U.S. citizens and U.S. legal residents moved from Juárez to El Paso to flee the violence, and are having trouble finding low-income housing.

And of course these people tend to have many children on those food stamps who will fill the schools and as they can't even afford to feed their families, they aren't paying anything in taxes to support the schools or the free hospital they enjoy. That all becomes the problem of the property tax payers, build them more free schools while they continue to have children they cannot afford.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:

(rolls eyes)

Old 03-03-2012, 09:07 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,228,042 times
It's to make up for the lack of State Income Tax...not the racist reasons posted on here.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:28 PM

690 posts, read 1,728,031 times
This is one of those postings; everyone has an opinion.
Similar to Political or Religious debates. It is easier to agree to disagree.
This issue was a problem long before the current politicians came into
the picture and will be a revolving issue in the future.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:36 AM

27 posts, read 63,451 times
Quote:
Huh? Voting in and of itself doesnt make taxes lower or higher.

El Paso is a heavily democratic liberal town where those that vote, generally vote to increase services and thus taxes. In 2008, for example, 66% of El Paso voters voted for Obama.

http://www.city-data.com/city/El-Paso-Texas.html
If there is an bond up for vote about raising prop taxes for whatever reason if you ( general) don't go vote how you want it to go then your taxes could possibly go up. That is part of what makes property taxes so high. Apathy usually winds up costing you.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:53 PM

524 posts, read 1,368,882 times
Talking Taxes are so..

high because there is really NOT that much industry in EL Paso..so the burden goes to the homeowner..I DONT live there in EL Paso..but the rest of my family does..and my mother would always say that..but you can get a lower rate for taxes on your house..if you are a senior citizen..my Dad does..since the house is in his name..!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso