Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 11:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los22 View Post
Thats good to know. I plan on maybe seeing the city, but only during the daytime.
I'd be very careful where you go. Stick to only tourist areas, or the areas around the maquilas if you have to sight-see, supposedly the military protects those routes because they have to keep the maquilas pretty safe. If your dad lives there, he likely can advise you better than most. Don't drive a vehicle the carjackers want -- in fact it's best not to drive at all, use taxis. Don't go to the bars nor to parties unless you know with 100% certainty that no one is involved with the criminal types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 01:28 PM

322 posts, read 1,270,674 times
Default Vacation in El Paso / Going to Juarez ?

Hey guys. I am flying into El Paso on 12-21 and then road tripping into NM to white sands, across Lincoln National Forest, to Carlsbad Caverns, and back to El Paso.

I personally have never been to Mexico at all and I want to go. If nothing else just to say I have been there. So a few questions?

What is actually needed to go to Mexico? Birth Certificate? Passport? Is it different if you walk vs. drive? Is it actually safe to go there? Are we going to walk across the border and get shot? I don't believe that but reading the media seems to indicate it....

What about taking a rental car into Mexico? Should we just walk across the bridge?

We plan on going to Cattleman's Ranch for dinner. Could we cross into Mexico at Juarez, drive down there on Mexico2, and cross back into the States at Fabens?

Thanks for the info, and any tips on what the weather might be like?

Old 11-27-2010, 06:55 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,606,496 times
I wouldn't go to juarez it's just to risky ,if you want to go to Mexico I'd go here
PinkStore

Old 11-27-2010, 11:36 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
You will need your passport to get back in to the States. If you have that then there's no problem visiting Juarez. In most cases your US car insurance or rental insurance will cover you in Juarez (double check) but if you have an accident you may wind up in jail until it's sorted out. You need insurance issued by a Mexican company. You can buy it from Palms Mexican Insurance in El Paso. I wouldn't drive down to Fabens through Mexico. It's isolated & the most dangerous area of Juarez & vicinity. If you "have" to go -you are safer walking across via the downtown bridge and then up Juarez Avenue towards the old church and east on 16th Septiembre to the old market (but no further and no side trips or short-cuts)- but even that is not "safe" - note the bullet holes in the bridge toll booths from a shootout on the Mexican side. The main dangers will be robbery, carjacking, mistaken identity, or being machine gunned while too close to an intended target - ie: at intersections, on sidewalks, or in restaurants. Get out before nightfall.

Last edited by Gary Siete; 11-27-2010 at 11:47 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 07:35 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Are the tourist shops still even open?

Before you go to Juarez check out the carjacking statistics. I wouldn't drive over - I know of too many people who live there who have had vehicles taken at gunpoint or threats of that. If you insist on doing that, keep some military vehicle or federale in close view so if you get followed, you can dash over to them.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:06 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
I'd as soon play Russian Roulette as take a chance driving into Juarez today! It's easy to get a taste of what Juarez is like by simply visiting South El Paso.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:13 AM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times
You're being foolish if you plan to go to Juarez

Old 11-29-2010, 09:57 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
US car insurance didn't cover Juarez car-jacking

Letters to the Editor - El Paso Times

"A family friend travels frequently to Juárez to visit family members, and to make sure that he had all the necessary insurance coverage, he contacted an insurance company and inquired if his insurance covered trips to Mexico.
He was assured by the salesman that he was.
While on a trip there, he was hijacked at gunpoint and his vehicle was taken. Upon returning to the States, he reported the theft to his insurance company, which primarily told him, "No problem, you're covered."
Subsequently, however, he received notification that his insurance only covered five trips to Mexico and that his crossing pattern had been retrieved by the company, showing multiple trips. Ergo, his insurance claim was denied.
I would recommend that all customers believing they are covered check the fine print very carefully."

Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,593 times
Anybody that still goes to Juarez for the "fun" of it is an idiot or lying about why they go there. This post sounds like a TROLL to me. GTFO.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:41 AM

722 posts, read 2,100,990 times
If you want to go to Juarez to say you went to Mexico, walk over the downtown bridge, then turn left and walk back over to the US side. There is a sign on the Mexican side saying leaving Mexico have a good trip in Spanish on the bridge you can have in the background for a pic or at the top of the bridge there is a marker that shows its the border of Mexico and the US. I would pretty much leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso