U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 AM

4,371 posts, read 7,271,079 times

Advertisements

Did anyone attend the following?

'Opportunity Days:' UTEP conference will focus on education, job openings for El Pasoans - El Paso Times

Not news to us here on CD, but I'd be curious to know what was discussed, or proposed, especially since I think one problem El Paso has is the unmitigated unskilled, and cheap labor that undercuts wages, and as a result, affects the entire city.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 AM

47,585 posts, read 35,983,019 times
I agree with you that a big problem is that El Paso is known for it's cheap labor -- it would be interesting to know if they proposed any solutions to this -- other than more taxes.

Even when El Paso was known for it's cheap labor, it was okay when businesses like Levis, Farahs, Hoover and many came and provided jobs with benefits. Now those businesses left.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:40 AM

130 posts, read 28,602 times
el paso seems as if its a death trap,and city council dont really help on that situation.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:51 PM

47,585 posts, read 35,983,019 times
Wait until people get their new property taxes. There is a baseball stadium they must now pay for -- or hopefully enough people will buy up those $600 season passes so a big tax hike can be avoided.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:13 PM

2,480 posts, read 3,373,087 times
I think I am Chicken Little's ignore list but here is some information for people with an open mind.

Regarding the new baseball stadium:

The first quarter of 2013 produced $625,000 in HOT tax revenue that will go toward the stadium. While no one can guarantee that every quarter will generate that exact number, it is a safe number to use for soft calculations. The loan for the stadium runs 30 years.

625K x 4 x 30 = 75 million dollars

MountainStar Sports Group is going to pay the City 400K a year for a minimum of 30 years

That is 12 million dollars.

That is 87 million dollars right off the bat.

Also remember, the City owns the stadium but MSSG owns the team. A small surcharge on each ticket goes to the City. The rest goes to MSSG. I forget what the new contract says but I believe it is 25 cents to the City per ticket.

Another thing to remember, there will be between 72 and 81 home games. A few crabs scoffed at the season ticket prices. That is not admission to one game. That is admission to 72+ games. I am wildly supportive of the stadium but even I am not going to buy season tickets. I plan on going to the ballpark 2 to 3 times a month. If every El Paso family went to a home game once a year, the stadium would be sold out every night. Season tickets are great but not essential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso