U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:34 PM

5,080 posts, read 8,008,985 times

Advertisements

Ok let me start off by saying I'm not trying to start anything. I am a curious person, and like to know other peoples thoughts on stuff... so here it goes.

Today at work a Hispanic Male walked in to get his pay check. He was wearing blue jean shorts and a white T-Shirt that had a picture of Mexican Flag and an American flag behind it, between the two flags was a homie style hispanic male in a wife beater T-Shirt Sunglasses and khaki pants tossing a sign. Along the top in bold yellow and brown letters it read.. BROWN AND PROUD.

My thought is this.. If I had walked in there with lets say the same style shirt except with a cowboy in place of the homie, a Texas flag instead of the Mexican flag, and it Said WHITE AND PROUD, I would be viewed as a raciest.. right?

So why doesn't same apply to this person?

Why is not ok to be proud to be an Caucasian?

Was his shirt in poor taste?

Please don't over read anything in this.. I have seen how some here have jumped way off base and made assumptions where there was none to be made.

Just wondering what you all think.. and please don't start some sorta race war over this, or use this as a platform to spew your hatred or anger about anything relating to the Hispanic population.. thats not the point of this post.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:03 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,794,044 times
I am originally from Mexico and would never wear something like that. Only retard "chicanos" wear crap like that.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:18 PM

385 posts, read 1,422,526 times
I guess one reason I wouldn't wear anything that said White and Proud is because us WASPS (or whatever we call ourselves now) have been exerting ourselves over other groups and races in that manner for about a thousand years (well, the exact time period is not known to me). I know I have been in the "ruling class" if you want to call it that for all my life. So, that is why I wouldn't do it. I would feel like a geek. Its not that I am not proud of being a wasp but really do we have to say it? Why is it necessary for us to do that? Isn't that about feeling inferior in some way and trying to reassure ourselves that we are not? I don't know really. I, too, am interested in others' opinions on this?

Old 09-21-2007, 06:51 PM

9,191 posts, read 19,048,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Ok let me start off by saying I'm not trying to start anything. I am a curious person, and like to know other peoples thoughts on stuff... so here it goes.

Today at work a Hispanic Male walked in to get his pay check. He was wearing blue jean shorts and a white T-Shirt that had a picture of Mexican Flag and an American flag behind it, between the two flags was a homie style hispanic male in a wife beater T-Shirt Sunglasses and khaki pants tossing a sign. Along the top in bold yellow and brown letters it read.. BROWN AND PROUD.

My thought is this.. If I had walked in there with lets say the same style shirt except with a cowboy in place of the homie, a Texas flag instead of the Mexican flag, and it Said WHITE AND PROUD, I would be viewed as a raciest.. right?

So why doesn't same apply to this person?

Why is not ok to be proud to be an Caucasian?

Was his shirt in poor taste?

Please don't over read anything in this.. I have seen how some here have jumped way off base and made assumptions where there was none to be made.

Just wondering what you all think.. and please don't start some sorta race war over this, or use this as a platform to spew your hatred or anger about anything relating to the Hispanic population.. thats not the point of this post.
Anybody BUT a WASP can get away with almost anything as far as language, dress, attitude, etc.....and yes, if you wore a shirt such as you described, you would be considered not only a racist, but probably also an idiot.

Yes, the shirt in question was trashy.

Whites can do very little these days without having the race card thrown at them.

But I refuse to apologize for or feel ashamed of being white.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:43 PM

507 posts, read 1,835,942 times
Cathy-Native-Texan-Transplant-to-New-Mexico: People like you are the reason I left New Mexico. The state is now teeming with opportunistic Texans and Californians buying and selling anything "New Mexican" -- now commodities to be bought and sold like artifacts. KimK above touches on it pretty well -- that the Anglo-Saxon has a centuries-old practice of conquering, colonizing and commoditizing anything / anyone he can. Lost in the discourse of this forum is the fact that El Paso has culturally little in common with the rest of Texas. It doesn't occur to anyone here that EPTX is predominently mexican / mexican-american / chicano / hispanic (choose your term) for a reason. You don't have to apologize for being white, just give some thought (when you're done playing golf) to the fact that the young man in the shirt wishes to express who he is and why he is who he is -- part of the the conquered, subservient people who live in the U.S., arguably, not by choice, but because a white guy decided he wanted El Paso del Norte to be a part of the United States. Of course, if Texan nationalist Mirabeau Lamar had his way, that part of New Mexico you live in would be "Texas" (because he wanted to annex the rest of the West for the benefit of Texas). And, before you say I should go back to Mexico, I'll tell you that I come from a family that has been in the Mesilla Valley for 300 years.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:56 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,794,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br7or13 View Post
Cathy-Native-Texan-Transplant-to-New-Mexico: People like you are the reason I left New Mexico. The state is now teeming with opportunistic Texans and Californians buying and selling anything "New Mexican" -- now commodities to be bought and sold like artifacts. KimK above touches on it pretty well -- that the Anglo-Saxon has a centuries-old practice of conquering, colonizing and commoditizing anything / anyone he can. Lost in the discourse of this forum is the fact that El Paso has culturally little in common with the rest of Texas. It doesn't occur to anyone here that EPTX is predominently mexican / mexican-american / chicano / hispanic (choose your term) for a reason. You don't have to apologize for being white, just give some thought (when you're done playing golf) to the fact that the young man in the shirt wishes to express who he is and why he is who he is -- part of the the conquered, subservient people who live in the U.S., arguably, not by choice, but because a white guy decided he wanted El Paso del Norte to be a part of the United States. Of course, if Texan nationalist Mirabeau Lamar had his way, that part of New Mexico you live in would be "Texas" (because he wanted to annex the rest of the West for the benefit of Texas). And, before you say I should go back to Mexico, I'll tell you that I come from a family that has been in the Mesilla Valley for 300 years.
I believe all the original poster was trying to say is how utterly ridiculus you appear by wearing said T-shirt. I am Mexican from Mexico and can tell you that none of my family/friends would be caught dead in something like that. Why is it that recent immigrants can come to this country and be succesfull and "chicanos" that have been here for generations still complain about what happened 300 years ago, I mean come on get over it and look to the future not the past.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:08 PM

Nicely Said Lipbalm..

Please keep it civil people..

Old 09-22-2007, 10:14 AM

What is it that you (generally speaking here) as a WASP want to get away with? Do you want to call white females "*******" because it is "culturally okay" for us to that but you (generally speaking) Black person better never call them "*******." Do you want to pound your chest in pride about our accomplishments? Lincoln was a WASP. Do you want to wear a T-Shirt with his image on it? I guess that is part of the problem when I hear that we WASP's can't get away with certain things. Just what things do you want to get away with? Please enlighten me on this.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:07 PM

Are you asking me? I have to assume your asking me because you have not directed your post to anyone person above yours.

First off please Spell out what a WASP is. Should I be offended by being called a WASP? I guess I should because someone is placing a title on me, or my race other that what is Politically Correct. But I'm not really because no matter the label I am still me and who I am and not what ever your label imply's.

To answer your question, I want to be able to be proud of who I am without everyone else being offended by it. I want a level playing ground where everyone is equal and everyone quits blaming another race for its problems, it failures, and starts to take responsibility for its actions. Id like to be able to talk about a topic without some raciest person coming into it and making assumptions that are not there to further their hate monger agenda.

I would love to wear a T-shirt with Ol' Abe on the front, or any other American President for that matter, would be a nice change from all the hate filled, gorilla images on shirts these days. No one here wants to get away with anything, I for one just want to be able to wear a shirt with a big saltine on the front of it and not have people like you get all riled up.. then again maybe I do.. the conversation it would spark maybe worth it. And once people start talking, things get worked out. I want to see all this separation removed. I guess I want to have the same rights to express myself as anyone else without being attacked for it. Thats pretty much it. I would never wear a shirt like that, I find it in poor taste, but if I wanted too I would like to have the option.

Id like to point out something.. I posted about the El Paso Rodeo, something positive for the area.. it has yet to get a reply. I ask a question like the one here and its jumped on like a tick in a dog pound. Why is that?

Last edited by Muhnay; 09-22-2007 at 12:34 PM..

Old 09-22-2007, 03:00 PM

This is very curious, Muhnay. I will direct this to you, directly. You posted a question and I thought it was an interesting discussion. I hope it seemed like I was discussing it and not just postulating racist remarks. Now you received some activity on this question and you don't seem to like it. You express a desire to have people discuss things to get things worked out. When they do, you throw up your hands (or so it seems) and start talking weird talk. Why can't you wear a shirt with a saltine or Abe on it? Who would say anything to you? Apparently, no one said anything to the man wearing the shirt you described or a)he wouldn't be wearing it or b)there would have been an altercation. You, my friend, are throwing rhetoric at the wall and hoping it sticks. Please spare me your "poor me" concerns. I give up. I won't comment any more on your "silly question."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso