Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 01:23 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,830,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
Do you remember the A&W on Trowbridge...
There was one at Hondo Pass at Alps, too, with an A-frame roof. A&W belongs to Yum Brands now, along with KFC (formerly Kentucky Fried Chicken), Taco Bell and Long John Silver's, and these brands often share the same restaurant space, and it doesn't look like El Paso even has an A&W anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 01:46 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,134,656 times
There are in fact several A&W's in El Paso.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
There are in fact several A&W's in El Paso.
Where? I searched the A&W website,

awrestaurant.com

and according to it the only A&W within 100 miles of El Paso is in Alamogordo, on South White Sands Boulevard.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:43 PM

Did the ones on Zaragoza and Dyer close down? I thought the one on Zaragoza was still open. I remember there was an issue with the one on Mesa. A fire perhaps?

Old 06-25-2012, 07:53 PM

404 posts, read 860,177 times
There use to be a A&W on North Loop Rd in the mid 60's about a block away from the Lucky Boy Hamburgers, There was also a A&W next to Ysleta High School on Alameda. The Oasis in Lakeside was also a a cool hamburger stop, there were no MC Donald's in El Paso during this era.
El Paso had it's own Drug store chains, Gunning Casteel Rexall all over town and Alamagordo NM., three bus companies that all stopped at the San Jancinto Plaza, El Paso City Lines, Lower Valley Bus Lines and Country Club Bus Lines,
Interstate 10 would end at the Raynor exit in 5 Points, and the city would end behind Kmart on MC Rae in the east side.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:08 AM

15 posts, read 46,028 times
I seem to recall that there was an A&W on the site of the recently shut down Whataburger on Alameda and Delta.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:55 AM

15 posts, read 46,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
I was here during the time(s) you mentioned...and yes, sometimes I miss that too. And I remember everything you posted.

Do you remember the A&W on Trowbridge...the Oasis at Montana and Geronimo, the Pershing Theatre, all the drive-ins?
Found some great pictures of the original Fiesta Drive In on Mesa. They must be from the 50's because the drive in looks pristine. The web site is drive-ins.com. Here is one:
Drive-ins.com - Fiesta Drive-In (original

Old 06-28-2012, 11:21 AM

There were at least three A&W's in El Paso just a few years ago. Two of them were in combo restaurants. I think the west side had a joint Long John Silvers and A&W. Time flies. I thought the one on Zaragosa was still in business.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:10 PM

I was surfing the web the other day and came across some old issues of the El Paso Herald (later the Herald-Post, now defunct) from 1950 and 1955.

The El Paso Independent School District was founded in 1883, but has grown to its present vast size partly by annexing other school districts, including Smelter (around Smeltertown in West Central--it operated Jones Elementary), Winkler (which operated Winkler School, which I think is now called Travis Elementary), and (the subject of these articles) the Wainwright school district in Northeast. There was an article about the grand opening of Wainwright Elementary in 1950; I think that was a new school building, because the school opened in 1949, according to the EPISD website. They might have been holding classes in temporary facilities during the 1949-1950 school year. The school was named for General Jonathan Wainwright, the war hero of the Pacific theater of World War II; he was there for the school's grand opening.

Five years later the Wainwright school district had opened another school (was it Burnet Elementary? Or Magoffin? Those two were the only schools that opened in Northeast during the early-to-mid-1950s) and a coalition of women meeting in somebody's house on Andes Drive whose kids went to these schools was trying to get El Paso ISD to annex the school district (and eventually succeeded, apparently). Because both Wainwright schools were severely overcrowded, to the point where they were holding classes in the kitchens while lunch was being prepared and the toilets in the bathrooms were getting choked from overuse; evidently the district couldn't keep up with the growth out there.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:14 PM

18 posts, read 126,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider62 View Post
I hope I'm not the only one, but I miss the way El Paso looked in the 60's and early 70's. I was just a kid but the memories of those times just make me want to go back and see it just one more time. I miss the unique look of those times like Bassett Center without the roof, that stretch of Montana from 5 points to Bassett, Piggly Wigglys, Cox's Bakery, Red Rooster, the Fox theater, the retro signs of Ranchland, Sunrise, Lakeside. Does anyone remember Grant City off of Mcrae, Fedmart, Woolco, Kresge's, Winn's, Shakey's Pizza, Jett's petting zoo and the super slide they used to have at Bassett? Just really good memories. But as you get older, those memories just keep getting fuzzier and fuzzier. Can anyone post pictures of El Paso from those times? I think us children of the 60s would really appreciate a walk down memory lane.

Wow lots to remember there, I lived in EP from 1970 to 1988, Graduated 1976 from Eastwood, Red Rooster, I worked there in 1977, I actually painted that whole interior Pink, Fed Mart was alway fun to shop st. AlsoGibsons dept store, And Paul Perrys Smorgasboard and All American Pies
Used to love going to Skakeys, How about the 1.00 theator at Montwood,
and of course we can't forget Ponchos, spent many an afternoon there ditching 6 th period
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: