Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:37 AM

200 posts, read 610,022 times

Advertisements

Yep, I knew about the racial connotations surrounding Sambo's & that it was believed to be a contributing factor to it's demise. Anyway, was there a Sambo's? If so where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 08:29 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anelizk View Post
Yep, I knew about the racial connotations surrounding Sambo's & that it was believed to be a contributing factor to it's demise. Anyway, was there a Sambo's? If so where?
Yes, there was a Sambo's on the Southeast corner of Airways and Montana. I had no idea of the political incorrect name of course, I was just a kid, but I do remember the picture of the little boy with a tiger. My parents never commented on the name either, so I guess they were clueless as well.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 05-13-2008 at 08:38 AM..

Old 05-13-2008, 06:12 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Yes, there was a Sambo's on the Southeast corner of Airways and Montana. I had no idea of the political incorrect name of course, I was just a kid, but I do remember the picture of the little boy with a tiger. My parents never commented on the name either, so I guess they were clueless as well.
In case your as clueless as I was about this word ( SAMBO ) being a racial slur.. here is a wiki on it, so we all know better.

Sambo (racial term - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

and then a wiki on the restaurant.

Sambo's - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wonder why the owner would use the name if he knew it was a racial slur?

Old 05-15-2008, 02:30 AM

Since we're on the subject, anybody remember Farrell's Ice Cream at Cielo Vista Mall?

Old 05-15-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Since we're on the subject, anybody remember Farrell's Ice Cream at Cielo Vista Mall?
I sure do.. remember the ice cream bowl they brought you on your birthday with all the little plastic animals?

Old 05-15-2008, 08:50 PM

Oh that was the best & those red & white stripes I guess from the uniforms of the employees, also that bell they'd ring! Now I'm just flooded w/ memories! Also does anyone remember Ray's Bassett Burger? God I'm feeling so nostalgic!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Oh that was the best & those red & white stripes I guess from the uniforms of the employees, also that bell they'd ring! Now I'm just flooded w/ memories! Also does anyone remember Ray's Bassett Burger? God I'm feeling so nostalgic!
YES! They were so juicy and mmmm mmmm good.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 5,448 times
I remember Hobo Joe's. The food really was good, at least according to the memories of my five-year-old self. It must have been pretty good, since very little stands out regarding food from that age, but if i close my eyes I can almost taste it. Thanks for posting, since it is nice to know I am not the only person who fondly remembers Hobo Joe's.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:59 AM

90 posts, read 268,805 times
Quote:
That must've been the one! Ahh... the good ole days! My grandparent's favorite place to take us. You know, I get Sambos & Hobo Joe's confused. I definitely remember the Hobo Joe's & a Hobo statue at the front entrance, but did EP have a Sambo's also? Thought Sambo's & Denny's were separate chains.
There's one Sambos left the original one in CA I believe. Remember the Sambos in Las Cruces?

Old 08-04-2009, 08:09 AM

577 posts, read 992,125 times
Anyone remember the BBQ place in Cielo Vista Mall....I believe it was called Smaks or something similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso