Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 11:31 AM

16 posts, read 19,805 times

Advertisements

Thanks to mistabinks-your status holds true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 11:32 AM

15 posts, read 22,209 times
El paso is a great city for your kids to grow up in and is full of some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Please excuse Ms.kitty, she's going thru menopause and has been moody lately.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:36 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,259 times
It doesn't say The Official Good Guy Who Never Disagrees With Anyone Ever.

BTW, I was the first to reply to this thread with useful information.

I am one of malamute's biggest detractors but even I thought your reply to him was off base and inappropriate. Hopefully all new El Paso transplants aren't as quick to assume as you are.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:47 AM

@mistabinks-thanks for your first reply of very useful info. I do believe things got off on the wrong track and I never did have the chance to express my thanks to any and all who have useful information to offer.

By the way, I was not judging malamute or the city based on his reply which I feel was posted simply to discredit me-I was offering a smarta** reply however-which I felt was totally warranted.

Again, thanks to everyone who has useful information.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:06 PM

404 posts, read 860,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearingone View Post
El paso is a great city for your kids to grow up in and is full of some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Please excuse Ms.kitty, she's going thru menopause and has been moody lately.
This Wearringone is the one you should worry about if you move to El Paso, since you have small children

Old 08-13-2012, 06:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiaz1017 View Post
malamute-apparently in your opinion a person isn't supposed to entertain more than one job offer or opportunity?? While the job market may be grim for many, in our situation my husband is in a career field that provides him multiple opportunities in many locations all over the country. He has had multiple job offers in the past few months and doing our homework on the location is just one part of making the decision if it would be a good fit for our family. Is it that you have nothing better to do with your time than check up on other people's prior postings? If so, very sad! It is people like you who turn potential new comers off to particular cities/communities! Maybe next time if it is so offensive to you that an individual is checking out more than one city/state you should send a private message to discuss the issue rather than trying to discredit them so no one else replies.

If everyone in El Paso is like you, maybe we should keep looking elsewhere...but I will make sure I change my user name first just in case someone is checking up on my posts.
I only checked after you posted the same basic post a second time -- and found it very interesting that you are very worried about living any where near any poor rural white types in Indiana -- even using the slur term "hill-billys".

Well -- if you are looking for employment here, you won't have to worry - no hill billys (aka poor southern rural folks) here, every part of this town is plenty safe. All the schools here have programs for the gifted. And again, no need to fear running into those hill billys, you will not likely ever hear a southern accent if you come here.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:30 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,259 times
There has always been good ole boys in El Paso. Not 5 or 10 percent of the population or anything like that but some. Maybe cause of the agriculture jobs, I don't know. Now, with the switch at Fort Bliss to more infantry jobs, a southern accent isn't as rare as it used to be.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:08 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,709 times
I had nothing to offer so hadn't posted on your thread. Then, my curiosity was piqued and I took a look at your like thread in the Indiana forum. I read this paragraph...and now have to comment. But first...

Your post.....
It isn't so much that we are looking for diversity, would say we are looking for open-minded and accepting people. Currently as I mentioned we live in a suburb of Birmingham-my husband even when wearing his work clothes (suit, or shirt and tie) is still asked to present ID when purchasing bread and milk at the grocery store to prove his citizenship, and he has to carry his birth certificate with him at all times to prevent him from being thrown into immigration jail if he happens to get pulled over, among daily harassment from locals regarding his ethnicity. When I enrolled our children in school here they wanted to place them all in ESL classes simply because of our last name and the fact that they have brown skin-didn't matter that English is their only language. I had to fight to get them put into the gifted classes, where they are the only Hispanic children participating in the district (the school just couldn't fathom a Hispanic child being gifted). So, if professional Hispanic people are not accepted in your area, or bi-racial couples/children are not accepted in your area then please let us know!

Back to my post...
Madam, your sentence I "bolded" is hogwash...that kind of stuff is against the law...even in Birmingham. In your own words, you're married to an educated and have smart children, yet the way you're coming across with your posts suggests you are naive...or just wanting to create drama...I can't figure it out. LOL

Even moreso with your thread here in the El Paso forum. Surely you knew that El Paso was 80 % +/- Hispanic. So, wouldn't one assume there would be lots and lots of what you call mixed marriages? Where have you been living your entire life? In the back woods somewhere? Come on...what is your motive here?

I'm from "hillbilly" country and have had no trouble traveling the world with my black husband. Gasp! No one even looks twice at us. I'm just having a hard time with the nature of your thread.

You do know El Paso is only a couple of miles, or less, from the US/Mexico border. I'm not sure how that will sit with you. LOL

Old 08-14-2012, 08:22 AM

404 posts, read 860,421 times
There is something strange about this poster in Birmingham including the troll called Wearingone that keeps attacking my moniker cat's name.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:22 PM

@malamute and whoever else has a problem-If you had proceeded to read the entire Indianapolis thread you would have noticed that the hill billy word was not mine originally, I simply used it in response to a poster who was responding to me. It was not used as a slur by me, if it was used as a slur by the original poster then I have no control do I.

My original postings for both Indianapolis and El Paso are indeed very similar, as that is our situation...we are a bi-racial family with 5 kids and so on...

We don't have problems living next to poor white people, we have a problem living next to racists-which we encounter on a near daily basis here in the far Southern suburbs of Birmingham. We encounter it from whites, blacks, and other hispanics (who don't think my hispanic husband should speak english or have a white wife). Alabama has the toughest immigration law in the country and it has caused a great deal of strife here among races.

@ZSF-Sorry, but while racial profiling isn't legal (you got that part right), it happens every single day here (and I am sure in many other locations as well). After spending most of our years in San Antonio, TX, it was unnerving to be transferred to a place like this that is so behind the times. By the way, my good friend here-a white woman married to a black man suffers from very similar racism and has comments made to her family almost every time they leave the house.

Read up on the Alabama Immigration Here-You will see that anyone the police believes may be illegal has to provide documentation...know the facts at least before you attack.
By the way-here in Alabama, anyone that is brown is considered potentially illegal
Alabama to enforce strict immigration laws - CBS News
The Alabama and Arizona Racial Profiling Laws - National Immigration Law Center

They even arrest Germans Auto Execs here for not carrying proper documentation while they are here in the state working...read about that here-
Alabama red-faced as second foreign car boss held under immigration law | World news | guardian.co.uk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso