Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 11:52 PM

56 posts, read 156,284 times

Advertisements

Downtown nightlife, it is sad to see Downtown shut down at night but hopefully the baseball stadium will bring some nightlife to downtown because after the games people are going want to go do something. We need to clean up ascarate there so much that can be done with that park. Right now you cant swim, water ski or anything. Could be a great place to hang out if you were able to swim there, and you know in the hot El Paso summers people need a place to swim. With more musi festivals said to be happening there maybe that lake will get cleaned up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 11:07 PM

70 posts, read 170,706 times
I really want an ikea, bass pro shops, fry's electronics, but what i would love more than anything is real mexican food joints...no, not what we have. I'm talking about real authentic Mexican food.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:07 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Meh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
An amusement park to replace Western Playland. There are 400 amusement parks in the US and none are located in EL Paso. You would think that the nineteenth largest city would have at least one park. Blame commissioners court for that one.

If it was up to me, I would expand Ascarate lake by shutting down Ascarate Golf Course. Stock the lake for some great fishing and set up paddle boat rentals. I would then bring in a much larger, combined water park/amusement park. The only problem would be the county commissioners. Oh well, I can dream...
Don't feel bad... Houston is the fourth largest city in the US, lots of wealth and business, and we don't have a single amusement park. But, San Antonio is less than three hours away, I guess that takes the edge off things. El Paso is indeed isolated.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:29 PM

643 posts, read 1,313,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caiguar View Post
I really want an ikea, bass pro shops, fry's electronics, but what i would love more than anything is real mexican food joints...no, not what we have. I'm talking about real authentic Mexican food.
You're joking about the mexican food thing, right? What do you consider "real" mexican food? Not being facetious, but please explain a dish.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:34 PM

212 posts, read 371,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA2EP? View Post
Whole Foods, REI, Trader Joes, HEB, Bass Pro, Top Golf, Freebirds, and whatever else I can think of
A couple of years a ago a staffer at the REI in ABQ told me that the company was definitely interested in expanding into either the Las Cruces or El Paso area because of the growing popularity of outdoor activities in the area (especially mountain biking). I've heard nothing else about it since then. I've got my fingers crossed.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
You're joking about the mexican food thing, right? What do you consider "real" mexican food? Not being facetious, but please explain a dish.
Ok, i'll give you just a couple of examples: where can I go to get a good plate of birria? (If there is please let me know)

I would love to go somewhere where I can go and buy a quezadilla de flor de calabaza, maybe pork with verdolagas, even simple tacos de cabeza would be great.

One more...where would I go to buy a couple of tostadas de pata with big a** tall glass of agua de mamey??

Any help would be great, I got spoiled in L.A. with mexican food

Last edited by caiguar; 10-02-2012 at 10:16 AM..

Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 AM

404 posts, read 860,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caiguar View Post
Ok, i'll give you just a couple of examples: where can I go to get a good plate of birria? (If there is please let me know)

I would love to go somewhere where I can go and buy a quezadilla de flor de calabaza, maybe pork with verdolagas, even simple tacos de cabeza would be great.

Any help would be great, I got spoiled in L.A. with mexican food
Speaking of L.A., I once recall while visiting some relatives in East L.A. when my ship made a port call to Long Beach, my cousin took me to this house to go buy some burritos. It was in some neighborhood where they sold food from their house and there was a line of people walking up to the side kitchen window to place take out orders and cars pulling up to the front, it was pretty busy.

We ordered these huge burritos that consisted of everything such as an enchilada,chile relleno,tamale,guacamole,sour creme,rice,beans,carne asada,(carnitas'pork) etc.;There were such a large variety of different flavors actually it was pretty good, never seen anything like it.

When it comes to Mexican Food, then it becomes a regional matter because every region claims to have the best which is not always holds to be true. For the exception that El Paso is truly the Mexican Food Capitol of the world. The food carriers the title "Mexican", but it is all different and taste different, for the exception of El Paso, our Mexican Food is way better than what you can get in San Antonio,Dallas and forget about Houston. Albuquerque, Santa Fe it's mediocre. San Diego to Sacramento? Please Spare Me. Forget Tucson and Phoenix, the state of Colorado? not even on the map. The Mexican food in the interior of Mexico, FORGET IT!

But I see where you are coming from, because it goes beyond cuisine and culinary, there are these hidden special dishes within the culture, and you can only find them in certain regions where ever there are traditionalist cooks or chefs that know about these certain dishes.For example those that specialize in the likes of cabrito, tacos de tripas de leche,and morcia also known as blood pudding,and many many more exotic items.
I use to go to this restaurant called Azteca in San Francisco to get my favorite shrimp quezadilla, eventually the ownership decided to pull one of those "A Day Without Mexicans" schemes and they shot themselves in the foot. People got mad and boycotted them till the lost business and folded.

Back in the day when I use to live in the lower valley, we use to raise a few pigs or calves, then when we would have them butchered we would always save the blood in containers and freeze it at once.
Not sharing the extra ingredients added in it's preparation which we got it really spicy hot and deliciously good; It was so irresistible I could eat no less than ten tacos of morcia.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:59 AM

404 posts, read 860,638 times
Now going back to the original topic, I want an Arena in downtown El Paso, I know that it is included in the quality of life bond issue; How ever if this bond issue does pass there is no way that city officials are going to build a arena where the Abraham Chavez Theater is now. That is the plan to knock down the Abraham Chavez Theater when city council should go after blighted properties instead of well developed established landmarks.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 AM

Yea , What im craving is souther mexican food. All we have here is the northern part of the mexican food variety. I love all mexican good but would love more varierty like L.A.

love el paso tho and prefer living here than when I was in L.A., thats for sure

Old 10-02-2012, 03:34 PM

643 posts, read 1,313,500 times
Caiguar, I think what you meant to say was you wanted more varied Mexican food. I can get birria from family all the time. tacos de cabeza on the regular also. I'm surprised you didn't throw the Monterrey specialty which is cabrito!

I was raised in south Los Angeles so I know what you are talking about. I remember getting burritos from the food trucks that weighed about 3 lbs each. They had everything in them!

back to the topic: I would love to also get a D&B here and maybe a California Pizza Kitchen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso