Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,773,516 times

Advertisements

El Paso has the highest unemployment rate in the entire state of TX (9.5%), rivaling the states with the highest unemployment averages, Nevada and Rhode Island. Is this due to the influx of people coming over the border?

El Paso, TX Economy at a Glance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 08:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,470,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
El Paso has the highest unemployment rate in the entire state of TX (9.5%), rivaling the states with the highest unemployment averages, Nevada and Rhode Island. Is this due to the influx of people coming over the border?

That has a lot to do with it. A lot more come from over there than people from here go over there to work or live.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:27 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,401,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

3.4% Midland, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
4.1% Odessa, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
4.9% Amarillo, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
5.4% Abilene, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
5.4% San Angelo, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
5.5% Lubbock, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
5.8% Victoria, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
5.8% Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
5.9% College Station-Bryan, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
6.2% Longview, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
6.3% Wichita Falls, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
6.5% Waco, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
6.5% Corpus Christi, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
6.6% San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
6.7% Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
6.7% Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
7.2% Tyler, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
7.2% Laredo, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
7.2% Texarkana, TX-Texarkana, AR Metropolitan Statistical Area
7.5% Sherman-Denison, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
7.6% Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
9.5% El Paso, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
10.8% Beaumont-Port Arthur, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
11.0% Brownsville-Harlingen, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
11.6% McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area

Old 04-03-2013, 09:36 AM

643 posts, read 1,307,426 times
I'm also going to say that there are tons of day laborers here in El Paso. Look on Craigslist and you have people cleaning yards, laying cement, installing windows, repairing cars, etc... They are the "hidden" workforce for lack of a better word. They get paid cash and most likely receive unemployment checks (no data, just an assumption).

I will also add that I think the Permian Basin's (Midland/Odessa) unemployment rate is lower. That area is seeing a boom unlike anything we have seen in the past.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:37 AM

867 posts, read 2,967,004 times
This isn't surprising at all. Meanwhile, places in Ft. Stockton, Midland and Odessa are begging for work.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,482,000 times
Midland's boom won't last long. Hydraulic fracturing uses ungodly amounts of fresh water, and in a region where water is a dwindling resource, you can see where that's headed.

And yes, I think border county unemployment rates are a little misleading as we have a much higher transient population than those further up.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:39 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,202,587 times
Default Nah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
Midland's boom won't last long. Hydraulic fracturing uses ungodly amounts of fresh water, and in a region where water is a dwindling resource, you can see where that's headed.

And yes, I think border county unemployment rates are a little misleading as we have a much higher transient population than those further up.
I take it you don't work in the Oil industry Kid'? The wells use brine, which is not in short supply at all. Also, they don't use surface water, they use water from the wells, pressurize the hell out of it, and send it back to flush the oil out. Again, this is brine which they extract from almost a mile below the surface, that water is never going to be used for drinking as no one would ever drill a water well that deep, and if they did, they'd get brine water, not fresh water. Fresh drinking water is just too expensive, even for an oil company. Bottled water is more expensive than a gallon of gasoline dependig on the brand.

Fracking is 50 years old, you never heard about any problems until environmentalists read a book somewhere and targeted it as their next crusade. So far you only hear of celebrities complaining, but did you ever wonder when those celebrities became geophysicists, or reservoir engineers? Of course not, because they are not, and they have no clue what they are talking about, only that it's the latest "in" cause and they have to be seen to let people know they care.

As to the boom lasting long, read what I posted in the amusement park thread.... http://www.city-data.com/forum/28793733-post40.html

I know for a fact that the Midland/Odessa area is short on drivers now, so if you are a driver and need work, you may want to check it out... it beats not working at all, and is very close to El Paso relatively speaking.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:29 PM

643 posts, read 1,307,426 times
I have many friends who have moved to the Permian Basin area and all have well paying jobs. 401K is great as well as the benefits. They range from roughnecks to drivers to diesel mechanics. There is so much work that they are paying bonuses and all start at around 25/hour. Not bad.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:05 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,426,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I take it you don't work in the Oil industry Kid'? The wells use brine, which is not in short supply at all. Also, they don't use surface water, they use water from the wells, pressurize the hell out of it, and send it back to flush the oil out. Again, this is brine which they extract from almost a mile below the surface, that water is never going to be used for drinking as no one would ever drill a water well that deep, and if they did, they'd get brine water, not fresh water. Fresh drinking water is just too expensive, even for an oil company. Bottled water is more expensive than a gallon of gasoline dependig on the brand.

Fracking is 50 years old, you never heard about any problems until environmentalists read a book somewhere and targeted it as their next crusade. So far you only hear of celebrities complaining, but did you ever wonder when those celebrities became geophysicists, or reservoir engineers? Of course not, because they are not, and they have no clue what they are talking about, only that it's the latest "in" cause and they have to be seen to let people know they care.

As to the boom lasting long, read what I posted in the amusement park thread.... http://www.city-data.com/forum/28793733-post40.html

I know for a fact that the Midland/Odessa area is short on drivers now, so if you are a driver and need work, you may want to check it out... it beats not working at all, and is very close to El Paso relatively speaking.
Someone got schooled!

Old 04-07-2013, 06:02 AM

471 posts, read 804,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
I will also add that I think the Permian Basin's (Midland/Odessa) unemployment rate is lower. That area is seeing a boom unlike anything we have seen in the past.
My buddies son graduated high school, did nothing for a year and moved there last summer to work the fields. He's making @ 70K a year. I'd like to see the unemployment rate in EP for people who do not speak spanish. That's one reason I sold my two year old house and said goodbye when I retired from Bliss in '10. I had planned to stay and was enrolled in UTEP. And good paying jobs are weak. Per capita income here in DFW is 27K. El Paso is a whopping 17K and no the cost of living is not really lower. El Paso is just a poor city. The politicians probably make the most money.

Texas locations by per capita income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso