U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 12:57 AM

2 posts, read 24,718 times

Advertisements

My parents purchased a lot in Horizon City many years ago sight unseen. My father has since passed on and my mother isn"t well. I have been appointed by the family to find out about this property on Mohawk St. Does anybody know of this area, how I can find out about it and what is the property value. Is the area developed? If not what does the future look like.

Thank you for any info
Jim Smith

Old 10-08-2006, 09:44 PM

8,761 posts, read 18,171,106 times
Is this the Horizon city near El Paso? That is a fairly nice area, at least for El Paso. The housing market out there is pretty good, I think, with a decent amount of military moving in there. At least, they are building lots of houses, so I assume the ones in Horizon city are doing all right.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:15 PM

2 posts, read 24,718 times
Question Horizon City

trainwreck20

Thank you for your info. Yes this is the horizon City by El Paso Tx. I am from California and my parents (mother) is from Indiana. She is on her death bed and for legal purposes I need to find out the value of this property because she is in a nursing home and they are about to take control of this property to pay for her expences. I have just found out that it is located in Mountain Shadow Estates, part of Horizon City. Do you know anything about this area? I am lost on what to do with the property, buy it myself to keep it from the nursing home, sell it or just let them have it. I just started paying the taxes for her which is only $24 a year that tells me that it isn't worth much. What do you think or do you know how I can find out any info about this property?

Jim Smith

Contact me at this site or at

izlazy@aol.com

Old 10-11-2006, 11:05 AM

I did a quick search, and you are not the only one wondering about property out there, check out this thread....
http://www.[domain blocked due to spam].net/forum/city/hori...R8LVF5T8D5PICR
I would warn you that some of these properties are in the middle of the desert (very interesting story, actually), whearas yours sounds like it is in Horizon. Big difference.

Lol, I just checked one of the links on the thread, and it leads back to a different thread here .

Edit: I checked out the EPCAD website and found lots on the outskirts of Horizon city to be appraised at ~15k per lot. Don't know where your lot is (can't find a Mohak in Horizon city, but there is one in El Paso).

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 10-11-2006 at 11:16 AM..

Old 10-11-2006, 04:51 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,874,869 times
I also looked on realtor.com and did not see anything for sale in a community of "Mountain Shadow Estates" or any variation thereof. I also did not see the street name listed for anything for sale. You may want to get in contact w/ the owners of the adjacant lots and see if they are interested in purchasing yours. They may want to especially if they have not built yet in order to have more yard or something.

BTW, check to make sure that the state or nursing home does not automatically receive the proceeds from the sale of such as here I know that all property including bank accounts must be out of the persons name for at least 4 years prior.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:50 PM

Jim,

I may have some information that may be helpful. I sent you an email to the above address. Let me know if it does not get through...

Old 10-12-2006, 03:39 PM

105 posts, read 16,917 times
Horizon City was started by a development company that sold lots. Its way out east of town and not sure theres much there. The lots used to go cheap - at one bankruptcy sale a few years back they went in bulk for $50 each. Try the El Paso Times Classifieds and see if any are for sale.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:59 AM

Jim,

The email address came back invalid. Anyway, let me know if you are still interested. Many of the lots were affected by the 'Colonial Act of 19something' (not sure exactly what the name is) and CANNOT be sold as residential property unless utilites have been provided. This covers most of the lots, but a few do have utility access and may have some residential value. The rest of the lots are only worth anything to mining or quarrying type operations. If you have the legal description (block, lot, etc.), I can find out exactly where it is.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 12,330 times
Default Land

My father purchased some land many year's ago when he was in the military, he passed away in May and my mother is looking to find out some information about it. We have no idea where to start other than the fact that we get periodically get mail from Horizon Communities Improvement Association. Does anyone have any idea where we can start to find out some information out the land and the value of it?

Old 11-09-2006, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 12,326 times
Default Sunland Estates, Horizon City

Wow! I just tonight started looking into this. My dad just died Oct 27 and so I've been doing quite a bit more paperwork than usual. I found a deed for some lots (Subdivision: Sunland Est 4) that my mom bought back in 1974. I recall that she use to pay taxes (low) but then I think we all just forgot about them. Now she is in very poor health and like Jim, I'm wondering what to do about these lots (if anything). (Jim, my mom is also from IN). I do recall her second husband going out there years ago and saying they were worthless - no utilities and way out in the boonies...so that Colonial Act of xxxx may be what my mom's got going against her as well... Scammy, aye? Trainwreck, can't seem to navigate that EPCAD site sufficiently to find lot appraisal. I did locate copy of her deed on that site... Thanks so much for supplying info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso