Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 02:13 PM

430 posts, read 1,339,932 times

Advertisements

My son's 6th grade Humanities class is reading a Pro-Christian book ( The Bronze Bow) and using bible versus as vocabulary words. Is this appropriate now in our public school systems? I have no problem with religion I just don't believe that it should be taught in public schools not to mention be taught one-sided. If you are going to teach one religion then you should teach them all. From what I gather about the book it is not very flattering to Jews. How can this be appropriate? Shouldn't the school be focusing more on TAKS?

Old 11-02-2007, 04:47 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
No its not.. and you need to contact your school admin and let them know. If they wont stop the lesson plan, you need to hire a lawyer and sue the school system, contact news 7 and have a report done on this.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:48 PM

385 posts, read 1,555,912 times
No, they should not be focusing more on the TAKS. We should not be focusing on it at all. That is one problem in Texas public schools. Do you realize that if your child passes the required TAKS for his/her grade level in March-they are then done with learning for the year. After my child passed last year in March she never had any more homework for the rest of fourth grade. What a waste of time. As for the religion thing, I agree with you. Lets teach them about all religions and lets teach it as accurately as possible. Again, why are they not forging ahead with math, english, social studies, etc. if they have free time? I was always told there was no time to teach anything extra like religion.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:18 AM

I've always disagreed with the TAKS testing. I remember whenever I took the TAAS test the questions on it had nothing to do with what I was being taught in school. But if you failed the test...you weren't allowed to graduate. On the other hand...if you teach what is on the test, then yes you pass it but...you didn't learn what you really needed to learn. Plain and simple...our school systems are a joke. I have contacted the EPISD about the book...no response. I have also contacted KVIA 7. They asked for some more info which I have provided to them but as of yet...nothing is happening. My next step is to contact the principal.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,270 times
In Virginia, when I was growing up, everyone was required to take the SOLs, which translates either to Standards of Learning or Sh*t Out of Luck, depending on your score Anyway, we were never required to pass the tests to move on in the curriculum, and like the TAKS, what we were tested on was not taught in the regular course work.

However, from what I hear from my teacher friends, a similar scenario is played out in VA, but there the teachers do nothing in the semesters but prepare the students for the SOLs because apparently now these tests must be passed in order to advance.

I don't think I ever passed these tests, and I turned out fine. I haven't sold my first ounce of crack yet, but instead traded my money for a Master's degree. I guess that happens when one is given a choice in life--we make our own decisions without ever feeling the urge to rebel against that which is forced onto us.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimK View Post
No, they should not be focusing more on the TAKS. We should not be focusing on it at all. That is one problem in Texas public schools. Do you realize that if your child passes the required TAKS for his/her grade level in March-they are then done with learning for the year. After my child passed last year in March she never had any more homework for the rest of fourth grade. What a waste of time. As for the religion thing, I agree with you. Lets teach them about all religions and lets teach it as accurately as possible. Again, why are they not forging ahead with math, english, social studies, etc. if they have free time? I was always told there was no time to teach anything extra like religion.
I agree about the TAKS -- that is one of the problems -- the schools here tend to focus on nothing but TAKS and very little teaching is done.

As far as a book with a Christian slant--- that's more teaching and introduction to literature than the schools here tend to do.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:19 AM

There are many many many other books that are more appropriate to teach in schools. This teacher has based the lesson on religion. She has the children reading bible scriptures and writing stories on Adam and Eve. This does NOT belong in a public school.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:41 PM

No it does not.. and I for one would raise a stink about it. Talk to the School board, write a letter to the Texas School Board, hire a Lawyer and start a class action... Get other parents that feel the same as you to gather and protest.. Make picket signs and protest in front of the school, call News 7 to cover it, or any news team for that matter. Do something other than complaining on this forum. Get busy or this will continue.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
No it does not.. and I for one would raise a stink about it. Talk to the School board, write a letter to the Texas School Board, hire a Lawyer and start a class action... Get other parents that feel the same as you to gather and protest.. Make picket signs and protest in front of the school, call News 7 to cover it, or any news team for that matter. Do something other than complaining on this forum. Get busy or this will continue.
I have. News 7 has the info along with Kfox. I have written EPISD and the Principal. No response yet. I just wanted to see if maybe I was over-reacting and wanted to see what others views would be on it.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:13 PM

Good deal.. make sure to stay on them news companies.. you may need to organize a protest to get any attention though.. let me know.. i'll come out and support you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso