Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 09:40 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,606,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Oh I do at the funny ones. and why the defeatist attitude.. things will change if people make an effort to change them.. no instead we move away.. and I am just as guilty of that. But someday we are going to have to stand up and make a change, because there will be no place else to move to if we dont.
i understand and i stand beside you i see things a bit different cause i left for 6yrs and it's very sad that when i came back nothing or nobody has changed and i hope my humor might do a little good and if i can change one person it's all worthwhile .and by the way i dont know what defeatist means call me dumb or call me stupid but i like most people in this city thought it was more important to go to the next party ,instead of school maybe the things i post will inspire people to do things different and i quote "the party will be there after you graduate " so stay in school and get it over with life will be better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 12:17 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
i understand and i stand beside you i see things a bit different cause i left for 6yrs and it's very sad that when i came back nothing or nobody has changed and i hope my humor might do a little good and if i can change one person it's all worthwhile .and by the way i dont know what defeatist means call me dumb or call me stupid but i like most people in this city thought it was more important to go to the next party ,instead of school maybe the things i post will inspire people to do things different and i quote "the party will be there after you graduate " so stay in school and get it over with life will be better
Well it sounded like you gave up on anything ever changing here.. thats the reason for the defeatist language.

Yeah I have left many times only to return to the same old same old. This last time I moved to Mississippi, and did not have to return, but did to help family out.. and when I did I saw some changes being made.. but the attitude and mentality of the average El Pasoan is still the same. even though I do see some hope in the new outlet malls and the changes to Fort Bliss. I think the changes to Fort Bliss are going to hurt this city for some time before anything adjust. I say that because our leadership here is not thinking impact and how its going to change so many aspects of daily life here. El Paso is about 500 police officers under staffed now... just think how many more we are going to need when another small city moves in. 65 thousands more troops.. wow.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:09 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,218,834 times
you know your from el paso if:::

1.your grandparents came from juarez & your uncles & aunts went either to la bowie, la yeff or la high
2.used to go to the "cruize" in azcarate park
3.if your sundays consisted of eating "pan de dulce" from la bowie bakery for breakfast with some atolito
4.you know your from el paso if you refer to your friends as "la" or "el" example:la elsa or "el juan"
5:you know your from el paso. when you go to any restaurant & you hear somebody ask, "no tiene chilito"
6:you know your in el paso, when you go to the movies & you see somebody sneak in burritos to the theater
7:you know your in el paso, when during the time of the amigo airshow, you see people parked along the freeway with an umbrella, a cooler & a bunch of kids running around
8:you know your in el paso when you see mexican students that go to the university of texas el paso wear t shirts that say "yutep"
9:you know your in el paso when you go to a childrens party & by 7:00 o clock the adults put the kids to sleep, so the real party can start!!!
10:you know your in el paso when you go to the swapmeet & see 40 to 50 yrs old ladies with sequence dresses & high heels!

Old 11-20-2007, 03:15 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,218,834 times
Quote:
if you remember the treetop, phoenix , bluefrog and the coney island your from el paso
coney island memories!!!

Old 11-20-2007, 03:15 PM

levow good ones thanks

Old 11-20-2007, 09:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:

I'm one that isn't so in favor of this city becoming just like some other huge city.

I suppose it's all in what someone likes -- or what they liked about El Paso. For me it was the outdoors spaces, the mountains, the green values, the open desert, small town friendliness. All going very fast now.

I don't see a future with houses after houses on tiny little yards -- rows and rows of housing developments with no more open space as so wonderful.

And the traffic is getting horrendous and rude.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:10 PM

malamute , i grew up in the upper valley and its almost gone

Old 11-20-2007, 09:21 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
malamute , i grew up in the upper valley and its almost gone
It is -- so is the lower valley gone. Everything I thought was cool and unique about El Paso is pretty much gone. No more star-filled desert skies, the mountain is being carved up, the arroyos filled with raccoons, skunks and wild life and plants are filled.

I guess those who really wished they lived in Chicago, Dallas, Houston or Mexico City are pleased with the way things are going. We're pretty much there. Now for the 2 hour commutes.....

Old 11-20-2007, 10:03 PM

speaking of wild animals i remember seeing porqpines ,beavers ,coyotes bobcats,raccoons and other wild animals in an area called the bosques on the westside but now the willows are there.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:03 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post

You sadly know your from EP when our High School Football teams get DESTROYED in the area playoffs by the likes of Odessa Permian, Midland Lee, Abilene Cooper, Lubbock and Amarillo High Schools.
See what i mean..........

Wolfforth...59
Del Valle....0

Lets see what happens to the orher 4 teams today as i'm rooting for them but.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso