Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:18 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,134,656 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of the reluctance to leave town depends on your generation - not just your culture or heritage. People in my generation came and left town on their own terms. People younger than me (20's) have no qualms about leaving town. They are ambitious and follow their career path. People older than me (40's) might have family obligation that might tie them down. I am Hispanic but all of my family have been American through my great grandfather. Someone who has parents that are Mexican or first generation Americans might not feel as comfortable leaving their family behind. It is too easy to simply say Hispanic are scared to leave town or scared of not being around their family. Every scenario is different and unique. *
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 02:17 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luplor View Post
Bilingual would be a bonus in other states. Other places would have paid you somewhere in the 28.00 or more to start range. Some will say, but it costs more. No, in the end it all balances out.

I usually advice people go somewhere else, make the money-save it and then come back with money in the bank and buy a house.
The benefits of being "bilingual" are extremely overrated believe me. In international business, ENGLISH RULES. The company I work for has facilities all over the world and all of the people I deal with speak english, not spanish, german, chinese, portugese, etc. and not just when they deal with the U.S. facilities but when they have to deal with one another.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
How can the experienced come back to $12.00 an hour jobs?
You really shouldn't have to - if I were you, I'd just keep trying. I'm not sure exactly what you do for a living, but there are jobs where the pay here isn't really that much worse than other places. Sometimes someone can probably do better here because of lack of competition, it's a two-sided coin.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:35 PM

194 posts, read 440,127 times
I recently moved to Austin, and I now make 4x what I made in El Paso. I truly love El Paso, but the economy is so sad that I just couldn't stay.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:12 PM

729 posts, read 2,066,634 times
Just spent a week in Colorado Springs and Denver CO. The weather was absolutely amazing. The drive between the two cities is truly breathtaking. From talking with family and co workers there are alot of people from ELP that have moved there. My niece's salary doubled when so moved to that area.

Colorado...just another route the ELP brain drain is taking.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:41 AM
zix

79 posts, read 371,003 times
Default You forgot to say doing what job

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzOne View Post
I recently moved to Austin, and I now make 4x what I made in El Paso. I truly love El Paso, but the economy is so sad that I just couldn't stay.

You forgot to say doing what job

Old 08-17-2009, 04:36 PM

524 posts, read 1,369,362 times
I thought I should comment on this because I am part of the brain drain..I left ELP to attend the Univeristy of Texas At Austin where I studied to be a teacher, then I joined the military. I came back to ELP for 2 years and taught for EPISD but left again to be with my daughter's father in San Diego. Since then I have taught in Austin and now teach in Dallas..I wanted to go back to ELP recently when My parents are old and could use my help..I looked at both EPISDs and Ysletas scale..I applied to both districts..but never got called..It is not that I did not want to go back..I did not get hired there in ELP.so I have stayed here in Dallas and anyway ..the pay is alot better here!

Old 08-17-2009, 10:53 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,134,656 times
Was the pay better in Dallas than Austin? Why did you leave Austin? Austin Brain Drain - Why?

Old 08-18-2009, 05:51 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
Was the pay better in Dallas than Austin? Why did you leave Austin? Austin Brain Drain - Why?
Again. Sarcasam, I love it. +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso