Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:54 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,953,720 times

Advertisements

I was using that as an example. I have an education. A criminal science degree. Also plenty of experience in Law Enforcement. But I do plan on going back to school and learning something about internet security or internet policing.

I was just stating that people who perform these type jobs get paid so far below other cities wages here. But that is true no matter your education or skill level in El Paso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 11:39 AM

421 posts, read 2,156,461 times
Good for you! I didn't mean to sound condescending.. But I do think you're selling yourself short. When I first finished my undergrad at nmsu I took a job here in el paso that paid me 6.50/hr.. My boss said that he thought "every college grad should have a job". I was happy to have a job, yes, but I was vastly underpaid. I wasn't planning to bank on that profession, but come on. I did intend to at least make a humble living. Needless to say, that's what set my current career path in motion. I've said it before, you should get into civil/govt law enforcement however you can. Best of luck!

Old 01-04-2008, 05:30 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clashman View Post
We returned and are happy
I would say that if you are happy, that you should stay. Happiness is a commodity in short supply these days. You may be making less than you are worth but what if you went to a huge city and made lots of money but weren't happy. With all due respect, I'd take happiness any day. Good luck to you.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes View Post
Honestly, people will go where the jobs are. And by the jobs I mean good paying professional jobs. Whether or not a prospective employee knows spanish or not will be irrelevant, unless they'll be working in a maquila. The biculturalism of this city is something the city should promote, that fact will not change any time soon. It's like being in old mexico without actually being there. Several of our friends from up north have commented what an interesting city we have. That aspect in particular is what makes this city unique. We're not "Anywhere USA". This is El Paso dangit. I know in the past I've complained about the lack of diversity here, etc. And frankly, depending on the day of the week my opinion can go either way. But the city should really see this as an asset. We need to promote our individuality on top of getting our people educated. That's how we'll move this city forward.
Well -- there are jobs here --- not every job is minimum wage and some of the top jobs could attract better qualified but my feeling is even with better pay, many won't choose to stay here because of other factors.

It's not just money. Yes it's just like being in Mexico without actually being there but unless being in Mexico is like being in Cancun or Matzatlan, I don't think that has much appeal to most people.

I've had Chicano visitors from the Midwest come visit -- I sort of assumed they might actually like it here for the "obvious" reasons and they didn't like it here at all -- they even asked me why on earth would I stay here. --- But then I don't understand why they prefer the frozen north. I do think we overdid it on the "diversity" that now there really isn't much diversity at all -- but that could be turned around.

Maybe it's not the people who leave that should be asked -- maybe they should ask those of us who haven't left what makes us stay here. Some people may feel trapped -- but some of us are actually here by choice.

Now to the positives -- how many people can brag of a beautiful mountain sitting right smack in the middle of their city? And how many places have more pleasant weather? People are pretty friendly and laid-back here. Not as friendly as it once was -- but the friendly people are quite friendly. Certainly if one likes Mexican food -- there's all kinds of it here.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
El Paso's brain drain is based that there are not enough hightech paying jobs along with
the entertainment that helps propel the movement like amusement parks and stuff that keeps youthful people entertained and sastisfied, they venture to other cities like Dallas, Austin, and San Francisco then reality hits them in the head.

I doubt that everyone who left is really all that brainy anyhow -- I think many with low-paying or medium-paying jobs and not that much education also leave because the pay is better elsewhere -- or they left for reasons other than pay.

I think some people just see some place green or they see someplace with lakes or a whole lot of nightlife and action and they just decide it looks more fun. It's like concerts --- we don't get many concerts coming through here anymore so if someone gets accustomed to that kind of thing, maybe they don't want to come back. Or they like the idea that in other towns like Austin, in just a one or two hour drive there's Dallas, or San Antonio and a whole lot more -- and they don't want to be isolated like we are here.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Now to the positives -- how many people can brag of a beautiful mountain sitting right smack in the middle of their city? And how many places have more pleasant weather? People are pretty friendly and laid-back here. Not as friendly as it once was -- but the friendly people are quite friendly. Certainly if one likes Mexican food -- there's all kinds of it here.
Lets see.. There is TUCSON, AZ., ALBQ. NM., SALT LAKE CITY, MOST OF UTAH for that matter. RENO NV., BOISE ID.,

And many more places. Might help to use your car to drive around and see what else is out there.. EL Paso is not the only place on earth.

Besides, some people may find El Paso's Weather dreadful, too hot and sunny. Some may prefer a cooler climate, with rain, or snow.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:11 AM

11 posts, read 80,416 times
This city is friendly? People, I really have not come across it. Even the churches in this city seem very unfriendly.
The problem is, this is a born in and die in city. The only growth to El Paso comes from Juarez, thats it. The military really shouldnt count, none of us chose of our own free will to move here.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Lets see.. There is TUCSON, AZ., ALBQ. NM., SALT LAKE CITY, MOST OF UTAH for that matter. RENO NV., BOISE ID.,

And many more places. Might help to use your car to drive around and see what else is out there.. EL Paso is not the only place on earth.

Besides, some people may find El Paso's Weather dreadful, too hot and sunny. Some may prefer a cooler climate, with rain, or snow.
I know what else is out there -- but most of them don't have as nice weather -- for me. Tucson would be too hot. Utah might be nice -- but doesn't inspire me to leave. El Paso doesn't get too hot -- only a few days even make it to 100 degrees and to me it's only starting to get hot when it gets passed 100 and since there's no humidity, it might hit 100 for 2 hours and then start dropping and most of the day was comfortable.

I'm not saying it's perfect -- there would be some things I would change if I could. And I would leave too if the traffic gets too horrendous or taxes go up much more or crime gets bad. I think large fast growth will be a bad thing because so many of the newer homes have no yards -- no outdoor space and that's not quality living. Then it does just become a hot dusty crowded city with housing subdivisions stacked on housing subdivisions.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Turner View Post
This city is friendly? People, I really have not come across it. Even the churches in this city seem very unfriendly.
The problem is, this is a born in and die in city. The only growth to El Paso comes from Juarez, thats it. The military really shouldnt count, none of us chose of our own free will to move here.
It isn't nearly as friendly as it once was.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:07 AM

hey Malamute.. if you want to check out a cool pretty small desert city.. go check out MOAB Utah. I fell in love with the place a few years ago. Its one place I would retire too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso