Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 01:16 PM

1,913 posts, read 2,251,552 times

Advertisements

there might still be some german airforce at Holloman in Alamogordo ?

you can easily learn spanish when you are in El paso , It helps also in stores and restaurants and in construction etc. when you walk in a cirlce K and the two hispanic clerks are talking about you they will say " wero " ( white guy ) .
eveyone is usually very friendly. It is a mixed culture and is going .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 04:41 PM
jfe

61 posts, read 282,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
there might still be some german airforce at Holloman in Alamogordo ?

you can easily learn spanish when you are in El paso , It helps also in stores and restaurants and in construction etc. when you walk in a cirlce K and the two hispanic clerks are talking about you they will say " wero " ( white guy ) .
eveyone is usually very friendly. It is a mixed culture and is going .
Literally güero (wero) means blonde.

But yes,it is used to describe people with fair skin

Old 12-01-2007, 08:22 PM

52,568 posts, read 47,690,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I am quite attracted to El Paso, for the climate and the housing prices. I have also been quite attracted to the architecture and culture of the area.

However, given the minimal ethnic mix indicated by the statistics, I am wondering how I, as a caucasian of German descent, would be welcomed. I do not speak Spanish. Would I be made to feel like an outsider, or should that not even be a concern?
You shouldn't worry about a thing. This is Texas, and it is a friendly state. El Paso is no exception. If you do decide to settle in there, I hope you'll have a great first experience. You'll especially like the mountain scenery in mid-town and over Ciudad Juarez.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:00 PM

1,913 posts, read 2,251,552 times
make sure you get refridgerated air Not evaporative cooling , it gets so hot in the summer june , july , august , especially if you are used to the cold and snow like this guero ( where are those two little dots that go above the u ? ) the winters are fantastic .

Old 07-26-2009, 01:03 PM

147 posts, read 308,712 times
Learn Spanish so you know what strangers are talking about around you. Not everyone in El Paso is bilingual.

In Odessa, people are bilingual, but in border towns, not everyone speaks English. That is a realistic given here in El Paso.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:47 PM

49 posts, read 312,360 times
I'm white, I've lived here 20 years now (I'm 45) and El Paso feels like home to me. I've lived within 200 miles of here most of my life, and have picked up enough Spanish over the years to carry on a halfway decent conversation....not completely fluent, but working on it. I've never felt unwelcome, nor ever sensed any hostility toward me no matter what side of town I'm in. For the most part, the people here will treat you as you treat them.

If you take the time to learn some basic Spanish, it will serve you well. If you encounter people who don't speak good English and you attempt Spanish with them, you will find that between your limited Spanish and their limited English, you will be able to communicate with them just fine, and you will be well treated. And you will probably grow to really like them.

This is a wonderful community and everyone is welcome. I have friends, co-workers, and neighbors of every ethnicity. I wouldn't have it any other way. Wouldn't the world be a boring place if we all looked, acted, and spoke alike? If you're open minded to cultures other than your own, you will find El Paso a fascinating and friendly place to live. If you insist on being around people exactly like you, you will miss out on a lot of life experience no matter where you live.

If this is the only thing stopping you from considering a move here, stop worrying and load the U-Haul.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:38 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,105,317 times
Great post. Close the forum because that was all the needed to be said.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,415,062 times
Yes, it's the exact truth. You are expected to learn the language of Mexico if you come to this city, it will definitely benefit you to do so because very many people living here reaping the many benefits of this great country expect us to adapt to their ways and don't bother to learn even the language of the USA. You should definitely learn Spanish if you want to live here but it will be easy because you can use the immersion method same as if you went to live in Mexico.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:16 AM

7 posts, read 32,160 times
i myself have wondered the same thing, but and no offense to anyone here but how does the military treat mexican nacionals? i know that el paso has a military base near the city. does that hinder or help race relations in the city?

also another question..what about ciudad juarez? is it still dangerous there? and do they have a walmart?

oh and how are bridge times over there..i know laredo is horrible!

Last edited by lalo2378; 07-27-2009 at 09:40 AM..

Old 07-27-2009, 02:42 PM

49 posts, read 104,949 times
Haha! Walk across the bridge if you can. If you're driving you could be waiting for hours! Especially if its around times that work starts (morning rush hour) or gets out (afternoon).

I would say yes, it is dangerous to go over to Juarez although I know people that cross back and forth everyday for work or family. So I guess I would say its a matter of opinion. Honestly if you don't have work or family over in Juarez there is probably no reason to cross the border. All the shopping you need is in EP. Check out downtown on the weekends. You'll feel like you're in Mexico. Great shopping, great prices and tons of people out enjoying the day.

I was a small town, white girl from MN that moved to EP. I went through my culture shock phase as I had never lived in a racially/culturally mixed city. But I got over it quick! The people and the mexican culture are amazing! They take you in with open arms! I didn't know a lick of spanish when I moved there. But from working daily with spanish speaking individuals I found I was quickly picking up the dialect. It was a great experience. EP will always have a special place in my heart. Go for it. You'll love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso