Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 04:34 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,397,968 times

Advertisements

I am quite attracted to El Paso, for the climate and the housing prices. I have also been quite attracted to the architecture and culture of the area.

However, given the minimal ethnic mix indicated by the statistics, I am wondering how I, as a caucasian of German descent, would be welcomed. I do not speak Spanish. Would I be made to feel like an outsider, or should that not even be a concern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 06:35 AM
jfe

61 posts, read 283,989 times
Shouldn't be a concern. It's not like if you don't speak Spanish they won't let you in the door, and there are very few cases that you will find yourself at a loss at places where they don't speak English (like my mother-in-law's house, but I doubt you will be going there )

Old 11-20-2007, 07:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
It depends more on you I think -- how much interaction you need, how outgoing you are.

If you don't speak Spanish, you easily could feel like an outsider, a lot of conversations are in Spanish. You go to Walmart and the announcements are made in Spanish. It depends a lot on the neighborhood, where you work, church, and activities. Certainly there are people who speak English, just like you could live in Mexico City and find English speaking people and even live in an English speaking enclave.

It just depends on if you are uncomfortable with feeling like an outsider, if you have to know what's being said in conversations around you. You can easily go a whole day without hearing English -- but that depends on the neighborhood, more likely yould live in one where people speak English.

El Paso is like two overlapping cities -- or it's like 5 or 6 towns in close proximity. Each part of town can feel quite different than another.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:30 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Also -- many military families are moving in -- and of course they are English speaking and things may tilt back the other way a bit.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:43 AM

385 posts, read 1,555,817 times
I was thinking about this Spanish thing and its effect on us non-speakers. I have never had a problem in El Paso with day to day life or with people not being friendly. I am not personally offended when two Spanish speakers speak Spanish in front of me (as long as I am not the butt of the joke). It doesn't make me mad or hugely concern that we as a nation are becoming something or someone else. If you just enjoy this place for what it is-its great. People are very friendly and very helpful and will even try to help you learn Spanish. Now, this might be a different experience if you resent their speaking Spanish or give off that vibe somehow. I live between El Paso and Las Cruces. I can go to either city equally conveniently and in fact Las Cruces is easier because of less people. I go to El Paso for what I need because I like to meet a smiling face at the check out counter; I like the fact they remember me; I like the fact the bank teller asks how my child is even when she is not with me; I like the fact they always ask if they can help me carry out my groceries. That is not the norm in Las Cruces. And, to hear another language spoken besides English is interesting and enriching. You will love it as long as your attitude is open to it.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:50 AM

879 posts, read 3,037,220 times
Great post, KimK!

Having lived in several other large cities, and having to hear people speak Chinese, Armenian, Korean, Arabic, Hindi, and all sorts of other languages right in front of me all the time..didn't bother me one bit. It was actually quite interesting to me for some reason. I speak both English and Spanish.. mostly English, so neither language is a problem for me.. although I can see how it might bother some people who don't understand Spanish.

As long as you don't let it get to you, it won't be a problem.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:12 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,606,496 times
i always see the same question do i need spanish in el paso and the answer is yes and no ,but as a rule of thumb the closer you are to mexico the more likely you will need it, there are areas that are real close to mexico like south central ,ascarate riverside ,ysleta,the whole mission valley socorro san eli fabens etc etc in general if you can see mex from el paso you might need a little spanish and then there are areas that you might not need it as much like the westside and upper valley northeast ,make friends with a native and you'll have nothing to worry about better yet get a hispanic girlfriend

Old 11-30-2007, 12:24 PM

4 posts, read 22,449 times
Talking anyone welcome in el paso

anyone of whatever race, color or creed is accepted in el paso. i believe this town is not racist in any shape or form. regardless of a person not speaking spanish, everyone is accepted for who they are. i have friends from india and iran and never have i showed that they were never accepted or welcomed. this is what makes el paso shine not just the sunny days.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:28 PM

421 posts, read 2,156,461 times
I've noticed that el paso does have a community of people who hail from germany or are of german descent. We used to have the german air force stationed here which was probably a contributing factor.. Not sure if there are any civic groups that cater to the german community here.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:04 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,953,720 times
It wont matter for daily life.. only place it may hinder you is in finding employment. Other than that should not matter at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso