Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,055 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new here and looking for some insight as on what to expect from the city, as far as safe areas to live, schools, attractions, etc.. My parents and little sisters will more than likely be living on base, while my other sister and I will be renting a house off base with our two small children. I've done some research and was very much advised to stay away from the Northeast area and migrate more towards the Ceilo Vista area. Is that close to Fort Bliss? The closer I can be towards my family, the better!
Also, how is Fort Bliss Base as a whole? Are the people there friendly? What about the schools? My sisters will be attending the middle school and high school there.
We are all super nervous about the move. My dad has been in the military our entire lives and we've never had to move until now. We all feel like we're moving to a foreign country lol.
Any advice, or tips you can give us would be awesome! Thanks, and I look forward to being apart of this new city. 😁

Last edited by AI12; 07-06-2014 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 12:52 PM

575 posts, read 884,456 times
I don't think it will be that much of a culture shock from Dallas/FW. There are a ton of threads here about people moving to the areas, with advice on areas. We are friendly here in general, but I have no knowledge of the base and military culture.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
I myself would much rather live in the NE where there are quiet neighborhoods and less traffic than around the Cielo Vista area. There are very few homicides in El Paso, and almost none are random stranger type homicides and when there are homicides, they are not confined to any one part of town.

Depending on which neighborhood or part of town you move to, you could feel like you're moving to a foreign country but there's not too much reason to feel nervous about that -- you may or may not be able to talk with your neighbors.

I think the people around Fort Bliss or who are here because they were once in the military are the most friendly of all the people here -- which makes sense because they're moving in from other places and have the connection of the military. Other people might be friendly enough but they're more into just their family events and want little to do with outsiders.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:55 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI12 View Post
I've done some research and was very much advised to stay away from the Northeast area...
Don't know where your advice came from but the "northeast" is a huge area with both old and new neighborhoods. There are very large developments still being built with a large percentage living there being military or civilians working for the military/government. Google Maps and Google Street view are your best source of reliable views of what it actually looks like in various parts of El Paso.

As is usual for advising people who are unfamiliar with El Paso, you really need to make an exploratory visit first if you plan to move here.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:55 PM

238 posts, read 420,427 times
I bid you good luck OP. The move from Dallas-Fort Worth will definitely be a culture shock. We do not have the same amenities as your area and the demographic is vastly different. I advise you learn Spanish fast (if you haven't done so already). So yes it will be similar to moving to a foreign country.

I usually advise against moving here but since your family is military then you probably have no choice in the matter. The area you have chosen is will generally meet your requirements but if you can afford it then I recommend living on the far east or on the west side.

On the plus side, the traffic here is nothing compared to Dallas so even if you live on the opposite side of town you will still be able to meet with your family in less than 30 minutes (especially if you take the loop). And the Mexican food is mostly grade A quality (although you may want to avoid Chicos Tacos since that is mostly local fanboy/girl affair).

Old 07-07-2014, 09:36 PM

125 posts, read 191,270 times
Default Hmmm...

Culture shock perhaps, but I prefer El Paso...and no, I am not an El Paso native. To each their own...

Old 07-07-2014, 11:10 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,328 times
Just moved back from the DFW myself, and the one con I'll dock El Paso for is lack of variety among grocery stores. Wal-mart dominates the market, and the only other option you have is Albertson's or Big 8, unless you want to make a weekly pilgrimage to Sprouts for quality produce.

El Paso has much better outdoors culture and if you're into biking there are some good routes to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso