Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 02:49 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,097 times

Advertisements

I was wondering why we hear about all these illegals coming up through Mexico to Murietta, CA or McAllen,TX or Arizona, but don't hear anything about them coming to El Paso? Is it because there is a lid on the epidemic of illegals coming here for asylum? I sense they come to El Paso, but there is no media attention paid to such activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 03:14 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
This was in the El Paso Times last month - the children and mothers in the article were dropped at the bus station.

Immigrants recently released in El Paso tell their stories - El Paso Times

Most illegals go travel to the lower Rio Grande as its an easier trip than through Chihuahua.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:49 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,709 times
I've wondered the same thing.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:57 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,831,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
I was wondering why we hear about all these illegals coming up through Mexico to Murietta, CA or McAllen,TX or Arizona, but don't hear anything about them coming to El Paso? Is it because there is a lid on the epidemic of illegals coming here for asylum? I sense they come to El Paso, but there is no media attention paid to such activity.
Unlike an "epidemic" of, say, flu or whooping cough. It's just refugees, not a disease outbreak. Probably Fake Noise, Christian Broadcasting Network or Breitbart is treating it like the second coming of Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, as some people think it deserves. I haven't looked (because I don't care).

Old 07-17-2014, 09:39 AM

29 posts, read 27,981 times
Probably because they are simply undocumented. This is not newsworthy. Unless someone gets killed....with a gun. No "historic" buildings are being demolished and the freeway is not being worked on. Nobody cares.

My concern is what do they bring here if they are looking for work? What can they do besides open up yet another dirty restaurant that serves terrible food? If they want to do crappy jobs I don't want, why would I worry about them taking "American" jobs that Americans don't want to do anyways? So long as they don't come here to form gangs to rob, steal and sell drugs 'to survive'. If that's the case, they can do that back home.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:17 PM

135 posts, read 241,092 times
Not an Epidemic. Maybe you have not heard about the many ill border agents who are not able to work due to some strain or virus thought to be brought up with these illegals.

No I think its because we are a border town who seem to be used to supporting such people in the first place, so it is not widely reported that we took on 3000 or more of them here from South Texas. They would sorta just blend into what is already here.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:33 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrabilius View Post
Unlike an "epidemic" of, say, flu or whooping cough. It's just refugees, not a disease outbreak. Probably Fake Noise, Christian Broadcasting Network or Breitbart is treating it like the second coming of Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, as some people think it deserves. I haven't looked (because I don't care).
On the money with that assessment. The fact is that its been an issue for several years and is only a "crisis" when the 24-hour news cycle needs something fresh to scare people about.

Another reason you probably don't hear about it too much in EP is because we don't have as many ultra-right wing folks as the rest of the state does. El Pasoans seems to be a lot more moderate and more interested in local happenings.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:05 PM

340 posts, read 609,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Really? I've seen plenty about this on the local news. But, mostly, they aren't crossing the border in this area. I think they said over 70% are crossing in the Rio Grande Valley area. (Most others in rural Arizona.) And they are not really entering the US in urban areas like El Paso. They, are, however, being bussed here from Southeast Texas and staying in local shelters, but only for a few days. Then they are either deported or sent to other parts of the US to live with family members while they await their day in court.

Or maybe your question was why we don't hear about them crossing here in large numbers? But, I think I already answered that.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:20 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Default Ironic

I find it ironic that even the migrants don't want to stay in El Paso. Many in El Paso cite weather, or family for limiting their potential and staying in El Paso, but these migrants do not have those crutches, so they know to move where the jobs are and don't even bother going through El Paso because it is already inundated with illegal migrants to begin with who will compete with their jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: