Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 06:26 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,457,152 times

Advertisements

Tesla is shopping for a site for it's new 'gigafatory' - the world's largest battery factory -6,500 jobs- that will ship finished product to it's assembly plant in Fremont California. Tesla has announced a short list of states being considered -Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and, Texas. If AZ & NM cities are under consideration then surely El Paso is in the running. At the western most tip of Texas it benefits from Texas business regulations (or lack thereof), low Texas taxes, and the shortest time and distance to Fremont from any Texas city. Tesla can aslo tap into our eco-friendly & growing solar farm in Santa Teresa. I hope our Economic Development department is on the ball.

California very much in running for Tesla Gigafactory - SFGate

What happens when a $35,000 Tesla arrives? - CNET

edit: El Paso wants Tesla’s attention- Two economic development officials in El Paso say the city is looking into how to get the attention of Tesla Motors - EL PASO INC,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 07:03 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,134,255 times
Have you forwarded that to any of the City's email? Great opportunity!

Old 07-21-2014, 05:22 AM

238 posts, read 420,166 times
Like the chances of establishing an MLS team in this city, they are slim to none. Texas has also prohibited the sale of their direct to consumer sales model which further reduces the chances of establishing such a plant in Texas at all. The El Paso fanboys would probably ostracize me for this comment but I am thinking realistically and not trying to sell false hope.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 AM

643 posts, read 1,312,658 times
I don't think anyone expected B-Anal to post anything positive, did we?

There's always a possibility for a plant like this to be built here in El Paso. I know that the Butterfield Trail Industrial Area is looking at attracting tech companies. This might be a good start. Like all larger production plants, there are always smaller support plants around it.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:22 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,492,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banal View Post
Like the chances of establishing an MLS team in this city, they are slim to none. Texas has also prohibited the sale of their direct to consumer sales model which further reduces the chances of establishing such a plant in Texas at all. The El Paso fanboys would probably ostracize me for this comment but I am thinking realistically and not trying to sell false hope.
The prospect of getting the Gigafactory built in Texas might be enough for Texas lawmakers to change the law. DFW and San Antonio are DYING to get that plant built in their cities, and Perry seems eager to score Texas another big plant build.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:24 AM

238 posts, read 420,166 times
Keyword: possibility. In other words 0.1% is a possibility.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:14 PM

340 posts, read 608,907 times
In all fairness, New Mexico needs this more than El Paso...

Old 07-22-2014, 08:47 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,830,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
I don't think anyone expected B-Anal to post anything positive, did we?

There's always a possibility for a plant like this to be built here in El Paso. I know that the Butterfield Trail Industrial Area is looking at attracting tech companies. This might be a good start. Like all larger production plants, there are always smaller support plants around it.
I thought Butterfield Trail was nearly built out. I might be wrong about this, but I read an EPT article a while back saying that it was. Even if it doesn't have the room for the big production plant, though, there might be room for smaller ones. Or they could put the plant in space that some other company vacated, or maybe elsewhere in town.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:53 AM

643 posts, read 1,312,658 times
Atribilius, from what I know/heard only about 20%-30% of Butterfield Trail is leased. I'm sure they would be able to accommodate a plant there. I guess we'll wait to see what happens.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:33 PM

111 posts, read 176,914 times
If el paso does nothing to at least try to bring this, it could haunt the city for years. 6000 well paying jobs is a game changer anywhere. This would attract more business to the area and could potentially make el paso a bigger player in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso