Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2007, 02:19 PM

21 posts, read 72,997 times

Advertisements

I just took a new job that has me based in El Paso. Right now I'm doing a bunch of research, trying to find places to live. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm 24 years old, Caucasian male. I want to live somewhere close to a night life scene. Night clubs, bars, stuff like that. I don't give a hoot about schools, or anything like that, since I'll only be here for a year and a half at the most. Also, I'd like to live close to the airport, because that's where I'll be working. Due to the nature of my work, I need to be at the airport within 45 minutes of them calling me in. So I'm thinking no more than a 20 minute commute to the airport from where I live.

edit: gah can someone fix the spelling error in the title?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 02:32 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,605,955 times
where are you moving from and do you have a car

Old 12-28-2007, 03:03 PM

421 posts, read 2,156,292 times
I'd recommend the kern or sunset heights neighborhoods. Both of these are close to the cincinnati area. Lots of bars, restaurants, clubs, etc. You may also consider the san francisco district just west of downtown. A bit less happening, but there are also clubs & bars nearby.. Hope it helps.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:46 PM

21 posts, read 72,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
where are you moving from and do you have a car
moving from central california, and I do indeed have a car. When I lived in CA, I rode a bike to and from work, and to the grocery store, bank, gym, etc. I forgot to mention this in the OP, but living in an area that allows me to be able to commute to work via bicycle would be a big plus.

also, I forgot to mention, I want to live in an apartment not a house. I'm looking on Google Maps, and it's hard to tell, but it seems Sunset Heights is mostly houses. It doesn't look like there are any apartments there.

Last edited by nbv4; 12-28-2007 at 03:58 PM..

Old 12-28-2007, 04:00 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,951,402 times
I would live in the Celo Vista Apartments then. It's near the night life, and the airport.

You want the East side for sure.. anything from Airways, to Yarbough would be ok.. Montana can get busy thats why I limited it to that small area. Need a map of the area, or any info let me know.. I guess you could also live out in the North East.. but not much good night life out this way.

Oh and El Paso is not know for its clubbing.. not like Sixth Street in Austin.. as an example.. we have a couple cool clubs..

Old 12-28-2007, 04:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Yes -- something like Cielo Vista apartments or a 20 or 45 minute commute would not be a guarantee. One accident on I-10 can get traffic backed up for an hour and it happens a lot -- so you'd want to be sure side roads can easily get you there in time.

Depends on what kind of nightlife someone is looking for -- there's a lot of "night-life" on Montana -- all up and down it. And the airport area has as much nightlife as anywhere in El Paso.

No one moves here for the nightlife and excitement though. It's really got to be for a more laid-back, desert and mountain life, and for the near perfect weather.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:32 PM

29 posts, read 115,731 times
Sunset Heights can be deceiving; many of those homes have been converted to apartment units. Quality/Condition can be hit-or-miss, though. But if you want a guaranteed 20-minute commute, you'd probably want to stick to Eastside or East-Central. There are several decent apartment complexes on Viscount Blvd., which connects to Airway, leading to the airport. The nightlife on the East side is mostly spread-out, however.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbv4 View Post
also, I forgot to mention, I want to live in an apartment not a house. I'm looking on Google Maps, and it's hard to tell, but it seems Sunset Heights is mostly houses. It doesn't look like there are any apartments there.
While the majority of sunset are homes, it's true that a number of these have been converted to apartments. This neighborhood is still in a transitional phase. There are some nice areas and some not so nice areas. The smaller homes are cheap enough to rent with a roomate or not, depending on your financial situation. Lots of students rent in the neighborhood (the university is next door). There are more than a few apartment buildings in or adjacent to the neighborhood (along oregon & el paso st) too. I can think of about a dozen off the top of my head.

Kern, as a whole, is nicer but there are fewer apartment buildings. You will find small rentals on the periphery near the university. Again, these are catered primarily to students. Most of the buildings in the san fran district are apartment buildings. I lived there for a while back in the day when I was going to school, the buildings are nice with proximity to downtown. I wouldn't call the eastside more desirable, in my opinion at least. There may be a higher concentration of "stuff", but it lacks character. I just don't see the allure..

Old 12-30-2007, 01:51 PM

Oh and depending on traffic, I can get to the airport from sunset heights in about 15 - 20 minutes..

Last edited by holmes; 12-30-2007 at 02:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso