Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 06:17 PM

14 posts, read 17,040 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I am a long time lurker on this forum, first time poster. I am moving to El Paso for a great job soon. I recently graduated from college at University of Arizona with an engineering degree and got a great offer. I used to live in Las Cruces when I was a little kid so I am familiar with the area. I have also lived in Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, and Tucson. I have looked at the Venue at Montecillo and it looks nice. I'm hoping to find something like living at one of the buildings by 4th ave in tucson or mill ave in tempe (obviously to a lesser extent). Perhaps UTEP area or downtown is best? I am 24 and not married/no kids.

Edit: Job is downtown and I have a car.

Thank you,

James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 07:43 AM

10 posts, read 10,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurer333 View Post
Hey guys,

I am a long time lurker on this forum, first time poster. I am moving to El Paso for a great job soon. I recently graduated from college at University of Arizona with an engineering degree and got a great offer. I used to live in Las Cruces when I was a little kid so I am familiar with the area. I have also lived in Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, and Tucson. I have looked at the Venue at Montecillo and it looks nice. I'm hoping to find something like living at one of the buildings by 4th ave in tucson or mill ave in tempe (obviously to a lesser extent). Perhaps UTEP area or downtown is best? I am 24 and not married/no kids.

Edit: Job is downtown and I have a car.

Thank you,

James
James, I just moved here about a month ago for work and knew nothing about El Paso. After being here for almost 2 months it seems like anywhere on the Westside is pretty decent. The East has better prices and you get more bang for your buck but the West is definitely nicer. I've been downtown twice, and downtown looks okay but I didnt see any places worth living downtown unless I missed a few streets. El Paso is a great place so far, and I think you'll enjoy it. I lucked up and found a decent spot on the west and processed everything long distance . Legends of El Paso are nice, Villas at Helen Troy, Legends of El Paso, Venue of Monticello, Sanit Dwellings they are brand new. If you're looking for cheaper i have a few other places i checked out to.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:01 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
Check out:

Puerta Villa at Cimarron - Apartment Homes in El Paso, TX

Not the cheapest but in a nice and quiet area. 2 miles from the grocery store, walking/jogging trail next to it runs through the Franklin Mountains.

Are you into outdoor activities? Weather is nice enough year round here to do outdoor activities with maybe a few weeks being the exception. Biking is big here.

IMO, El Paso is an incredibly underrated city that gets a lot of bad rap from people who have never even been here.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:24 PM

I'm into outdoor activities, but also into going out to bars, being around young people, and short commutes. I would like to live somewhere with a lot of other people in their 20s, is this possible?

Old 03-01-2015, 05:25 PM

575 posts, read 884,169 times
look for something close to UTEP then -- downtown Mesa to Executive, Sunset Heights, Kern Place

Old 03-03-2015, 06:38 PM

How about the venue at monticello? The Venue at Montecillo | Apartments for Rent in El Paso TX
some people in the reviews complain about the price, but honestly that is not an issue with my new job.
Also is there an exciting college vibe around utep? I was worried it's too much of a commuter school to have young people and buzz around.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:26 PM

340 posts, read 609,098 times
Quote:
How about the venue at monticello? The Venue at Montecillo | Apartments for Rent in El Paso TX
some people in the reviews complain about the price, but honestly that is not an issue with my new job.
Those apartments are very new and look really nice. They're close to UTEP and not far from downtownl, so your commute would be pretty easy.

Quote:
Also is there an exciting college vibe around utep? I was worried it's too much of a commuter school to have young people and buzz around.
Yes, the area around UTEP has a college vibe and a lot of younger people. It's not super exciting, but it's El Paso. The area around UTEP is the most exciting area of this city, and has more going on and more young, single people than any other part of town by far. Downtown, unfortunately, is pretty lame and really doesn't offer what you are looking for at all.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:00 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Check out:

Puerta Villa at Cimarron - Apartment Homes in El Paso, TX

Not the cheapest but in a nice and quiet area. 2 miles from the grocery store, walking/jogging trail next to it runs through the Franklin Mountains.

Are you into outdoor activities? Weather is nice enough year round here to do outdoor activities with maybe a few weeks being the exception. Biking is big here.

IMO, El Paso is an incredibly underrated city that gets a lot of bad rap from people who have never even been here.
You got that right. How much do those apts. run?

Old 03-08-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
You got that right. How much do those apts. run?
Puerta Villa At Cimarron Apartments - El Paso, TX 79912 | Apartments for Rent

Starting at $760 a month...honestly not bad at all imo. How do these compare to the Venue at Montecillo? Similar prices. Any ideas?

quiet area is not an asset to me. Things going on and proximity to activities, is.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:01 PM

340 posts, read 609,098 times
Quote:
Starting at $760 a month...honestly not bad at all imo. How do these compare to the Venue at Montecillo? Similar prices. Any ideas?

quiet area is not an asset to me. Things going on and proximity to activities, is.
Then definitely go with the Montecillo apartments. They're much closer to UTEP and the cafes, restaurants, bars, clubs etc. around there. Puerta Villa apts. are in a quiet residential area farther out. Not much going on in the that area - it's a very suburban type neighborhood.

Also, most of the one bedrooms at Puerto Villa are like $850 I think. The $760 price is for their smaller one bedroom, of which they only have two units, and rarely have openings. And they don't include any utilities.

Last edited by unnativeelpasoan; 03-08-2015 at 09:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso