Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:55 PM

269 posts, read 540,676 times

Advertisements

My family is military, and we're being offered a choice of Bliss or Gordon. We are currently living in Fairbanks, AK, so it's a big change either way.

My three children will all be under age 5 when we leave, and I would be interested in buying or renting a reasonably-priced semi-rural kind of place in either location. $200,000-ish, I imagine, depending on the local housing allowance. What are good neighborhoods, or not-so-good?

What's the water situation like in the desert?

Can any El Pasoans weigh in? Especially if you know something about Gordon, too. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 08:48 PM

114 posts, read 364,914 times
The west side has a part this is rural setting; horses, farms, gardens and nice homes for the price you quoted.. Our water is rated superior and is plentiful.. we do have conservation efforts inplace and the water is priced comporable to other cities our size.

As you know, Ft. Bliss is poised for huge growth and sits on the largest military reservation in the world. It is pegged to become a Post of Excellance.

This region is semi arid and while the summers may get hot, there is little humidity so the heat index is much less than that of most of the country, especially the south. The rest of the year is comfortable. We even get some snow; this year - 7 inches.

There are some excellent articles on this site about El Paso and several photos. Enjoy!

Don't know much about Ft. Gordon. Good luck and thanks for your service to our country.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:56 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,878,685 times
Weather wise, I would pick Fort Bliss/Biggs over Fort Gordon. Also have you considered that GA. is having a really bad drought and water levels are at all time lows. just something to consider. I'll chime in more later.. busy now.. but wanted to respond real quick.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:10 PM

269 posts, read 540,676 times
Thanks, guys. El Paso does sound intriguing. I hear the economy around Augusta is not doing well, and that makes me nervous about investing in a house there... El Paso sounds as if it's doing better.

Don't mind conserving water... always thought grass was highly overrated. We're on a low-producing well/cold-weather septic here, so "if it's yellow let it mellow," yk? Just want enough land and water to raise a few chickens and a veggie garden.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:11 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,878,685 times
El Paso has its farming areas, and there are places all around here to raise Chickens.. not so much in city proper.. but in the area fer-sure.

I am hoping with the many soldiers coming here in the coming years the economy goes up in leaps and bounds.

If its yellow, don't touch it fellow, was what I always heard.. but I like yours too. I think you would enjoy El Paso.. good luck on your move, where ever you end up.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:57 AM

3 posts, read 12,887 times
my name is sgt.fisher and I am currently diployed. And I just fund out that I got orders for ft.bliss for the october.what ineed to find out is what part of the city is good to find apartments in or if enybody know's of some please help. It's my wife and 3 cats. we would like to get a 2bdr so we have little space. Onother thing is what's the weather like in october. heat does not bother me cause I'm on my 3rd diployment so heats not a facter but I still would like to know. Is it easy to get around to and from post cause i would kinda like to live about 15-20min away from post. If enybody can help please contact me here or here at my Email. [email="chevybeast72@aol.com"]chevybeast72@aol.com[/EMAIL

Old 02-05-2008, 08:15 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,497,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound View Post
My family is military, and we're being offered a choice of Bliss or Gordon. We are currently living in Fairbanks, AK, so it's a big change either way.

My three children will all be under age 5 when we leave, and I would be interested in buying or renting a reasonably-priced semi-rural kind of place in either location. $200,000-ish, I imagine, depending on the local housing allowance. What are good neighborhoods, or not-so-good?

What's the water situation like in the desert?

Can any El Pasoans weigh in? Especially if you know something about Gordon, too. Thanks in advance!

Coffeehound.......it's two totally different worlds between the two areas.

Ft.Gordon is very green with lots of water everywhere and also highly humid. If you like green and water/swamp and humid type climates then that may be your best choice.

El Paso is the exact opposite as its a desert and brown and very little water and very dry. Lots of sunshine in EP.

So i guess it's preference as to which type of Flora and Fauna that you'll enjoy better.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,780 times
Hey, Coffeehound!

If you've been living in Fairbanks, AK, I'm guessing you or your mate are working at Fort Wainwright. Regardless, Fort Bliss and El Paso will be a major change.

I worked at Fort Wainwright until a couple of years ago then moved down here to Colorado to warm up and get more sunshine during the short days of winter. However, I grew up in New Mexico and am headed down to work on the Fort Bliss Expansion in a few weeks.

I agree with what the others have written above. El Paso and southern New Mexico will be the opposite of Fairbanks; that is, they will be hot in the summer and more temperate the rest of the year. By hot, I mean up to about 100 F in July and by temperate I mean down to about 30 F in January (El Paso, City in Texas - DesertUSA). Of course, 30 F and the longer winter days will seem a lot milder than the -45 F and few hours of daylight you have been experiencing in Fairbanks the last few years.

Although Alaska offers superb opportunities for outdoor recreation, you will find ample opportunities for outdoor recreation in the El Paso and southern New Mexico areas as well. Lotsa' opportunities for hiking, biking, backpacking, camping, fishing and hunting. Lots of places to go 4-wheeling and ATVing, as well. One thing you probably will notice right away is that access is a lot easier, since in Alaska most areas require you to fly or take a jet boat if you want to get into the back country.

Oh, one other thing: although the El Paso and southern New Mexico areas comprise extensive high-desert country, southern New Mexico also has mountains within 2-3 hours drive that rise to altitudes where pines and spruce grow. Deer, elk, turkey, peccaries and other species exist in the mountains northeast and northwest of El Paso. Also, lakes and small streams where anglers can catch trout and several other species of fish.

I hope this information helps you.

Warm regards...

Old 02-05-2008, 10:14 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,580,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8DERSOLDIER View Post
my name is sgt.fisher and I am currently diployed. And I just fund out that I got orders for ft.bliss for the october.what ineed to find out is what part of the city is good to find apartments in or if enybody know's of some please help. It's my wife and 3 cats. we would like to get a 2bdr so we have little space. Onother thing is what's the weather like in october. heat does not bother me cause I'm on my 3rd diployment so heats not a facter but I still would like to know. Is it easy to get around to and from post cause i would kinda like to live about 15-20min away from post. If enybody can help please contact me here or here at my Email. [email="chevybeast72@aol.com"]chevybeast72@aol.com[/EMAIL

You are coming to El Paso at the right time since October is the favorite time of year so far in the weather poll thread.

Maybe some of the local posters here could tell about the best part of the city for you to look for apartments.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:49 AM

722 posts, read 2,093,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
You are coming to El Paso at the right time since October is the favorite time of year so far in the weather poll thread.

Maybe some of the local posters here could tell about the best part of the city for you to look for apartments.
Beautiful time to come. summer heat is over. Probably in the 70's during the day, 40's at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso