Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:59 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,085 times

Advertisements

I found this thread way to late, but I want to throw out my thoughts so:

Best Visually Attracitve Campus:
Its a toss, because they are all three very attractive in very different ways. So on this one it comes down to a matter of personal opinion (not one is ugly, and not one lacks beauty).
Because there have already been posted many many pics of UTEP, I post some on the other campuses!
UNM:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mMDS5yg0Ivc/RqV-WoHp4FI/AAAAAAAAAB0/2Nle2RLfmhM/s400/unm+016.jpg (broken link)
http://www4.unm.edu/sust/uploads/images/Fountain%20at%20UNM%20007.jpg (broken link)

http://www.ece.unm.edu/spcom/LOGOS/duckpond.jpg (broken link)

NMSU:

http://www.nmsu.edu/~nursing/images/CHSS2.jpg (broken link)

Basketball:
The Pit was the 13th Best Venue of the 20th Century
CNN/SI - Century's Best - SI's Top 20 Venues of the 20th Century - Thursday June 03, 1999 03:09 PM'
Hands down the best of the three

Don is definitely a number two.
The Pan Am is still a fun place to be.

Football:
Sun Bowl hands down.
I like Aggie Memorial better than University Stadium, but they are comprable

Baseball
Needless to Say

Golf:
UNM South
NMSU
UTEP

Best Campus Life
NMSU
UNM and UTEP a wash

Best Campus Resources
UNM
NMSU
UTEP

Best Campus Layout
UNM and NMSU are both very good and easy to figure out, UNM much bigger and NMSU with land grants adds some spice to class location
UTEP's hilly spread out I always found odd for a college campus. I think it detracted from the feeling of being a true university. Just my 2 cents.

Overall, all three are goregeous campuses. It comes down to personal opinions, and what University fits your educational needs best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 01:05 AM

507 posts, read 1,659,269 times
I just hate the fact that UTEP has little college feel to it.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:36 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,418 times
I find that growth at UTEP and UNM has diminished their campus appeal. UTEP has maintained its architectural integrity, but has become very urban looking. UNM's newer buildings are huge and modern, losing the pueblo style of the original campus. NMSU's newer building are actually recapturing the architectural style they got away from in the past.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:58 AM

730 posts, read 1,894,752 times
Come to campus and check out the new UTEP bookstore. Pretty nice.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:36 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Best Basketball

1. UNM
2. NMSU
3. UTEP

Best football

1. UTEP
2. NMSU
3. UNM

Best Campus

1. NMSU (a true college feeling/town)
2. UNM
3. UTEP

Best Academics

1. UNM
2. NMSU in a close 2nd (NMSU is a better research/engineering college)
3. UTEP (not even close to UNM or NMSU)

Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
There is a great place to look at UTEP. Go down Hawthorne Street and you will see the alley that is river st to the left. Go up that street/hill for a bit and UTEP will look like its sitting in your lap.

I don't remember UNM and NMSU that well to make a fair comparison. I do know the University of California-Berkeley with its tall campinile and Strawberry Canyon over-looking the Bay, but Cal is in another league.

The worst campus-- University of Texas - Permian Basin. Good school but so ugly as it looks like a big prison. I was actually shocked when they flew me out there to teach for a year- but I was teaching Criminology so it was cool -lol.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:06 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,720 times
Visually Stunning
1. UTEP - El Paso (it just doesnt match the city)
2. UNM - Albuquerque (Urban southwest feeling)
3. NMSU - Las Cruces

Best Campus
1. UNM - Albuquerque
2. NMSU - Las Cruces
3. UTEP - El Paso

Best Basketball Facility
1."The Pit" - Albuquerque (24 Sold out game streak baby!) 4th in the nation, Plus the Renovation!!
2.NMSU - Las Cruces
3.UTEP - El Paso

Best Football Stadium
1. UTEP - El Paso (Holds more thats all)
2. UNM - Albuquerque (Better Videoboard)
3. NMSU - Las Cruces (NEW freakin awesome videoboard)

Best Baseball Stadium
1. UNM - Albuquerque (Istopes Field, Holds More!!)
2. NMSU - Las Cruces (Wow, Best of the WAC)
3. UTEP - El Paso

Best Golf
1. UNM - Albuquerque (Signature Course) Plus 5 others.
2. NMSU - Las Cruces
3. UTEP - El Paso

Old 06-17-2009, 03:16 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
The worst campus-- University of Texas - Permian Basin. Good school but so ugly as it looks like a big prison. I was actually shocked when they flew me out there to teach for a year- but I was teaching Criminology so it was cool -lol.
I recently visited Texas A&M . . . how disappointing. The campus is huge, but it's butt ugly.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:18 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I recently visited Texas A&M . . . how disappointing. The campus is huge, but it's butt ugly.
Tell me about it..
For some reason I always wanted to go there.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:43 PM

730 posts, read 1,894,752 times
I sort of wish UTEP had a significant building that folks identify with...like some sort of belltower or other building (Stanford and Cal Berkeley have nice ones). Even some type of fountain (I know, desert and drought) attached to some type of plaza or gathering place. I think we all are aware that Bhutanese architecture is the hallmark of the UTEP identity, but I always love schools that had that one special building or place. UTEP does not have a "real" campus center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso