U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 04:31 PM

2,625 posts, read 10,053,382 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, which university is the most visually stunning, im not being biased but heres my rankings

1.UTEP
2.NMSU
3.UNM

Even people that dislike El Paso, like the beatiful architecture of Utep, its truly the gem of EL Paso,

http://www.walterindenver.com/archives/utep.jpg (broken link)

you be the judge...

ok ok lets take it further...best campus
1 utep
2 nmsu
3 unm

Best basketball facility
1 unm
2 utep
3 nmsu

best football stadium

1 utep
2 unm
3 nmsu, close tie for second

Last edited by LEVOW; 02-19-2008 at 04:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 04:54 PM

639 posts, read 715,566 times
I pretty much agree with your rankings LEVOW, UTEP by far has the most attractive campus between the three universities however I tend to find Aggie Memorial Stadium to be a notch above the University Stadium in ABQ as far as appeariance goes I think they both have about the same capacity 40,000, I've never been in the Pit in ABQ, the Pan American Center has always been my envy since back when UTEP played in the Memorial Gym, but I'll take the Don, smaller but screaming, I miss those old Don Haskins days and the rivalship with UNM.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:32 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,670,223 times
UTEP. Period.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:31 PM

799 posts, read 2,579,569 times
I'll agree with you LEVOW, UTEP's campus is very architecturally pleasing and nice, with NMSU second. UNM is not a very attractive campus.
As for Arena's the PIT without a doubt, followed by UTEP & NMSU......Also the PIT is by far the LOUDEST with 18,000 fans. A 60 million dollar remodel of the PIT start's at the end of the season.
The football stadium also goes to UTEP as the Sun Bowl has a very picturesque setting with good sight lines, and is very LOUD with 50,000 fans. Second is University Stadium which has awfull sight lines, however the south endzone is going to be enclosed & 25 million dollar is getting pumped into Luxury Suites and the press box, which will start in about a month.
Aggie Memorial is just awful!!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:33 PM

114 posts, read 317,722 times
UTEP ranks #1...that is a beautiful photo you detailed above. SunBowl Stadium rocks...according to Coach Price and the Don...home to national and league champions and a nice feel....

Old 02-19-2008, 09:45 PM

874 posts, read 2,653,549 times
Best looking campus:
1. UTEP
2. NMSU
3. UNM

Best basketball arena:
1. UTEP
2. UNM
3. NMSU
UTEP's Don Haskins Center after its renovation several years ago, became top-notch all seat arena, with large video boards and even plasma screens at the concession stands. That being said, I think with the upcoming major renovations at the Pit in ABQ..I think they will easily overtake the "Don" and become the best arena of the three that are on this list. The Pit for years needed a renovation, it seats over 18,000 but currently lacks video boards, still has bleachers, and was getting "old". Now that it will get a huge facelift, I think it will really become one of the best arenas in America once again, not only because of the number of fans it can seat but also because of the facility's updated improvements as well.

Best football stadium:
1. UTEP
2. UNM
3. NMSU

Last edited by Chuco; 02-19-2008 at 09:54 PM..

Old 02-20-2008, 08:56 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,987,475 times
Well i'll make some people mad but thats o.k as everyone here knows i pull for all 3 to thrive.

I really like NMSU campus the best. I think because it is smaller than UTEP or UNM as it has a small town feel to it. Also it's spread out where as UTEP and UNM are more Urban and kinda condense feel to it.

As far as arenas well I'll start with UNM and that is the i don't care for the PIT that much. Yes it does hold alot of fans i believe 18,000 to 19,000 as that is impressive but....most of its seats are benches and also it does look like a warehouse from the outside. I've seen massive structures like where the Orlando Magic and the Miami Heat play in Florida as those arenas look like they are 7 stories tall and solid glass.

As for UTEP's the Haskins Center when built in the late 70's? was state of the art back then some 30 years ago and still looks very modern but.....at 12,000 it should be bigger as El Paso will never have any NCAA regional tournaments like Albuquerque does because of their large arena (Pit)

So UNM should build a 200 million dollar state of the art Arena and UTEP expand the Haskins to 18,000 so you can have more venues there.

Anyway thats my thoughts !
6/3

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 02-20-2008 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 02-20-2008, 09:15 AM

3,185 posts, read 11,055,221 times
Good idea for a thread, LEVOW!

Here are mine...

Visually Stunning

1.UTEP - El Paso
2.UNM - Albuquerque
3.NMSU - Las Cruces

Best Campus

1.UTEP - El Paso
2.NMSU - Las Cruces
3.UNM - Albuquerque

Best Basketball Facility
1.UNM "The Pit" - Albuquerque
2.NMSU - Las Cruces
3.UTEP - El Paso

Best Football Stadium
1.UTEP - El Paso
2.UNM - Albuquerque
3.NMSU - Las Cruces

*Overall, El Paso has quite a nice gem in UTEP, its architecture, and its facilities. However, my hands-down favorite facility between all of these campuses is The Pit in ABQ.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:26 AM

707 posts, read 2,649,593 times
Campus:
UTEP
UNM
NMSU

Basketball:
UNM
UTEP
NMSU

Football:
UTEP
UNM
NMSU

Baseball:
UNM plays at the beautiful Isotopes Park
UTEP
NMSU

Golf:
UNM
NMSU
UTEP

The Pit remodel is going to elevate UNM even more above UTEP and NMSU. The Sun Bowl is hard to beat. As for the UTEP Campus, one of the most beautiful in the nation!

Old 02-20-2008, 09:39 AM

421 posts, read 1,976,371 times
UTEP hands down as far as the purty factor. NMSU is also really nice as it has a much more open, green feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or