Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 10:15 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times

Advertisements

I do recall another 'Silver Mines' at Morningside Mall, now the Yelesta School District offices; I never had any money to play, but used to like to pop my head in there as a kid. Pac Man was the rage at the time. Later I recall another place, probably more of a billiards place in the East side called Khans. Anyone remember that one? I think it was on Pebble Hills, or thereabouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 11:59 AM

24 posts, read 35,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrabilius View Post
I also remember the Detour arcades. There was a arcade at Rushfair Center called Silver Mines in the Seventies that shut down after a few months despite doing what looked like a thriving business--there were a lot of long-haired teenagers habitually standing around the front door and I guess enough people complained to the management.

The game arcade "on Fairbanks at McCombs" was actually in the strip mall on Trans-Mountain between Dyer and McCombs whose back doors face Sahara Lane. I knew somebody who got shot there once.

When I played arcade games, it was usually the ones at convenience stores and supermarkets, especially the ones at the 7-Eleven on Fairbanks at Rushing and the Smith's on the other side of Fairbanks, which were closest to my house.
Hello -

Your post brought back so many memories of 7 - 11 - old times - good times - only in El Paso, Texas! Are you still living in El Paso? Which schools did you attend? My parents went to Bowie; sister to El Paso High; brother went to Coronado and Irvin..... I ended up moving to Oregon in 1982 - 87 went to high school where Mr. Holland's Opus was filmed, U.S. Grant High in Portland, Oregon..... Thanks again for the good memories.

Take care,

Roberto -
Westminster, Colorado

Old 12-11-2012, 04:17 PM

Smile El Paso - Fun Times back in the 70's - 80's

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I do recall another 'Silver Mines' at Morningside Mall, now the Yelesta School District offices; I never had any money to play, but used to like to pop my head in there as a kid. Pac Man was the rage at the time. Later I recall another place, probably more of a billiards place in the East side called Khans. Anyone remember that one? I think it was on Pebble Hills, or thereabouts.
Does anyone remember the name of the record store in Sunrise Center? Or the one at Northgate Mall?

Take care,

Roberto Corral
Westminster, Colorado

Old 12-13-2012, 02:22 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,830,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccorral1117 View Post
Does anyone remember the name of the record store in Sunrise Center? Or the one at Northgate Mall?
I don't remember a record store at Northgate but there was one at Sunrise called Sound Warehouse--a pretty big one. I bought a lot of vinyl albums there back in the day. I lived near Rushing and Trans-Mountain, didn't have a car (like a lot of other kids at Andress) and had to get rides down there all the time.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 PM

404 posts, read 860,295 times
Quote:

Take care,

Roberto Corral
Westminster, Colorado
If not mistaken I think it was called the Melody Shop, I know there was one at Basset Center and Northgate Mall had the other store.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:53 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,830,573 times
The Melody Shop must have been before my time.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:22 AM

Default Danny's Music Box

I recall a store called Danny's Music Box, or something like that... 'sold instruments and equipment.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:18 PM

Talking re: Record Store[s], Duncan's musical shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I recall a store called Danny's Music Box, or something like that... 'sold instruments and equipment.
The musical instrument shop was not called Danny's but Duncan's...... In fact, I still have my 7th grade music folder and they sponsored our music department at Canyon Hills Middle School..... Boy, they don't build schools like that anymore..... Home of The Cobra's!

Old 12-19-2012, 04:24 AM

Default 'Still exists....

Quote:
The musical instrument shop was not called Danny's but Duncan's...... In fact, I still have my 7th grade music folder and they sponsored our music department at Canyon Hills Middle School..... Boy, they don't build schools like that anymore..... Home of The Cobra's!
Danny's Music Box still lives I see (Google). I distinctly remember the name as it is the name of my father (no affiliation of course).

Old 12-20-2012, 08:06 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Quote:
I remember the old Detour game rooms back in the 70's and 80's in El Paso, Texas. There were three on Dyer - the one by Fort Bliss - by the old Gibson's in the shopping center - the one in the Sunrise Center - Shakey's Pizza was across the street and the best one was at Northgate...... I remember getting like 500,000+ on Defender was HARD - but real cool once you could do it. Plus, pac man was fun and all the old pinball machines.... My ultimate favorite game was crazy climber....... Thanks for bringing up such old memories of home.

Take care,

Roberto -
Westminster, Colorado
formerly of El Paso, TX -
Of course i remember Crazy Climber as that was one of my fave arcade games back then .

Does anyone remember the second Rock music radio station back then called ''The Pass'' ? They played more Album-Oriented Rock than KLAQ featuring bands like Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and Mahogany Rush etc. as a few example.. LOL, what about the ''Head Shop'' on Dyer down by Sunrise Shopping Center as many of my pothead friends back then used to frequent that place .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso