Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 02:04 PM

37 posts, read 36,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
That's utter bs. I've lived here for 20 yrs and regularly walk my dogs between 11 pm and 2 am. Never had any issues. I have 9 rentals spread throughout the city, in east side and ne and the renters have never had any issues.

We have a police dept that is very respectful of illegal aliens that might be a victim of a crime. There is no fear of reporting crime.

The reason it IS a safe city, is partly because it is so close to juarez. The drug cartels don't want to cause problems here, which might increase border security, and result in them not being able to get drugs or money across.

The crime we have here tends to be non violent auto theft, ID theft/credit card cloning/mail stolen. Not violent crime.

Completely albeit respectfully disagree with most of the above. Nevermind your own vested interest in portraying the town as safe, what with all of your property spread across town and in some the known crime areas. A good 80% of all crime in El Paso is up in the NE; no problems? Ok. Whatever you say bud. I've said my piece, feel free to have the last rebuttal. I just hope he or she who reads my post knws it comes from a former long-time resident who had friends and acquaintances all er the city and knows the true pulse of the city better than most.

No wonder you can walk your dgg safely. You obviously live in a well-to-do enclave where I'm quite sure the poor people -ain't-.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 11:53 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
The ne crime is in the Devil's triangle area that they tried to rename Angel's triangle. I lived in one of my ne rentals for about 5 months while waiting to close on a short sale we were buying, and walked my dogs late, with no issues. My houses in the ne are in sandstone ranch, mesquite hills, and summerlin. In the tierras in east side. And they've (the renters) had no issues with crime.

Granted, My renters aren't hanging around in the dive bars off dyer or downtown in the rough areas.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:59 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Quote:
The reason it IS a safe city, is partly because it is so close to juarez. The drug cartels don't want to cause problems here, which might increase border security, and result in them not being able to get drugs or money across.

The crime we have here tends to be non violent auto theft, ID theft/credit card cloning/mail stolen. Not violent crime.
I think that's what people refuse to understand.

The cartels have their families live here while they "work" in Juarez. They don't want their families subject to Juarez violence. They also don't want the attention of EPPD, EPCSD, Customs, Border Patrol or the FBI. Law enforcement on this side of the border isn't as corruptable as they are on the Mexican side.

Quote:
The ne crime is in the Devil's triangle area that they tried to rename Angel's triangle. I lived in one of my ne rentals for about 5 months while waiting to close on a short sale we were buying, and walked my dogs late, with no issues. My houses in the ne are in sandstone ranch, mesquite hills, and summerlin. In the tierras in east side. And they've (the renters) had no issues with crime.

Granted, My renters aren't hanging around in the dive bars off dyer or downtown in the rough areas.
I lived in the Tierras. Awesome area! If we had stayed in EP I think we would've bought a house in that area.

Mesquite Hills has a high concentration of law enforcement and senior military personnel. Those two types tend to not cause problems or condone many problems.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:14 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0racle View Post
So sick to death of this statement being trumpeted ad nauseam from on high here in the ELP forum.

Anyone and everyone who knows El Paso and has lived around and amongst the locals, KNOWS that the -only- reason this city is rated so safe is because the vast lion's share of the crime committed is going UNreported because those who would report the offense are themselves hesitant to draw light on themselves ajd their own legal status.

Make no mistake folks, just like any and every American city, home invasions, shootings in the streets, armed robberies, and random rapes can and do occur in el paso with alarming regularity. There simply is no record to cite for this assertion, and that's just how city leaders like it.

Look, you have a city that borders one of the most VIOLENT in the world, has TONS of illegal human trafficking, TONS of cartel movement and activity, and is chock-full of non-citizens who have no regard for quality of life or human life.

This is the OTHER side of El Paso that you don't and won't hear about in the forums. And YES, it DOES exist. One of the safest cities? Bwahahahah! Yea, as long as you're tucked away on the Westside behind a very big iron gate. El Paso is admittedly much more dangerous for women as int'l sex trafficking is rampant in the metro area.

Safer than Detroit, STL, Memphis? You betcher butt. One of the safest? Sure. When tallying REPORTED crime to la policia.

Is it a warzone? Hell no. But no, do not walk around as a woman in the middle of the dead night. You're liable to get "disappeared". This is the Borderland. No place for fairy tales of utter safety.
So El Paso is really unsafe because of all the "unreported" crime? Any arguments beside your personal anecdotes, offhand information from relatives, and your "being in the know"?

Thought not.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:22 PM

340 posts, read 608,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Man View Post
How do the cartels set up their families in El Paso? Wouldn't they need some sort of residency documentation?
Actually, a lot of people involved with the cartels at the higher, more powerful level have dual US/Mexican citizenship. Also, foreigners can always buy property in the US and a lot of cartel kids go to college in the US. It's easy to come to the US legally if you've got $$$. Money talks.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:56 PM

343 posts, read 306,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
Actually, a lot of people involved with the cartels at the higher, more powerful level have dual US/Mexican citizenship. Also, foreigners can always buy property in the US and a lot of cartel kids go to college in the US. It's easy to come to the US legally if you've got $$$. Money talks.
Facts. If you have enough money you can come on an investor's visa and bring your whole family quite easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso