U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2017, 04:16 PM

3 posts, read 10,988 times

Advertisements

Hi, I might be relocating to El Paso, TX because my boyfriend is stationed there in about a month in the army.
I don't really know how else to ask residents there there opinions on the city and if its safe, nice, etc. I have read many things online as that is my only option because i don't really know of anyone who lives there.
I would be wanting to know the safest areas, if it is even a reasonable place for a smaller, younger woman to live by herself, go to college at University of Texas at El Paso, find a job, etc.
My mom seems to be convinced that it is really unsafe and with the articles we have read online, we aren't sure what to think about El Paso.
My main worries are safety in daily life, doing errands, if where i possibly live will be safe and if there are nice food places to host or waitress at or child care places that i could possibly work at. i am looking for a full time job when i get there.

Thank you

Also, i could possibly live in cities around El Paso, but still in Texas. I know El Paso is mainly spanish speaking, because this is my first time moving out, i just want to feel as comfortable as possible. If anyone knows of any larger cities in Texas near El Paso that better fit the needs listed above, that would be wonderful to add!

Last edited by Katherine00; 06-11-2017 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: Added info
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 07:31 PM

15,676 posts, read 3,108,907 times
What is your budget?There are no larger Texas cities close to El Paso.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:53 PM

2,613 posts, read 5,121,556 times
What articles did you read that made you feel El Paso is not safe?

Also, there is not much violent crime here. From what little there is, a lot of it involves soldiers.

If you were able to find this forum, I am surprised you haven't been able to find info on how safe El Paso is.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:47 PM

1,486 posts, read 572,187 times
El paso is the safest city of its size in the US.
You will be very safe. I walk my dogs around midnight and feel completely safe. I've gone to grocery stores at that time, and feel safe.
Just don't cross into mexico and you'll be fine.
Good areas are 79934, summerlin subdivision), 79912 (west side), 79922, 79932(both upper valley), 79938 (east sidea by tierras). I have a lot of rental homes in those areas that I rent to a lot of military and they've never had any issues.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:02 PM

341 posts, read 458,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine00 View Post
Hi, I might be relocating to El Paso, TX because my boyfriend is stationed there in about a month in the army.
I don't really know how else to ask residents there there opinions on the city and if its safe, nice, etc. I have read many things online as that is my only option because i don't really know of anyone who lives there.
I would be wanting to know the safest areas, if it is even a reasonable place for a smaller, younger woman to live by herself, go to college at University of Texas at El Paso, find a job, etc.
My mom seems to be convinced that it is really unsafe and with the articles we have read online, we aren't sure what to think about El Paso.
My main worries are safety in daily life, doing errands, if where i possibly live will be safe and if there are nice food places to host or waitress at or child care places that i could possibly work at. i am looking for a full time job when i get there.

Thank you

Also, i could possibly live in cities around El Paso, but still in Texas. I know El Paso is mainly spanish speaking, because this is my first time moving out, i just want to feel as comfortable as possible. If anyone knows of any larger cities in Texas near El Paso that better fit the needs listed above, that would be wonderful to add!
I am curious how old you are and where you're from because really your biggest concern, particularly if you're planning to live alone, should be how you are going to support yourself and pay your bills. You will NOT be able to support yourself from being a hostess at a nice restaurant! There are NOT a lot of good jobs in El Paso, especially jobs for someone w/out a degree or experience, and even fewer options for someone who is not bilingual. Also, who is going to pay your college tuition? I'm sorry, not trying to rain on your parade, but you don't seem to have a very good plan in place... Not to mention the boyfriend situation... Is he planning to live on base? (You said you would be living alone.) You are gonna be real lonely here, knowing no one, working your butt off to pay your bills, while your BF is hanging out with his new army buddies... Are you sure you've really thought this through??

Last edited by unnativeelpasoan; 06-12-2017 at 04:37 PM..

Old 06-12-2017, 06:34 PM

575 posts, read 628,094 times
also, there are no "cities near El Paso" other than Las Cruces, New Mexico (a 40-ish minute drive). The next nearest is Albuquerque, a 4 hour + drive. There are suburban satellites, but that's really basically El Paso. Nowhere in the Southwest (or West, for that matter) can you avoid Spanish, but you don't necessarily need it to live here.

It's safe here. I'm a single woman, and I've lived here for 30 years and love it. Do not believe everything you read online about the border.

Now, about moving here to follow your boyfriend, that's a different story. I wouldn't move unless you really want to go to UTEP. Other than athletes, most of the UTEP students are from this direct area, so there's not a really great campus life.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:05 PM

I am a white female. Will i really be the only one there? Stupid to ask, but online, many have said that i would be the odd one out in most places i go. Grocery stores, etc.

I dont know hardly any spanish, not enough to hold a conversation, so these things worry me.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:19 PM

575 posts, read 628,094 times
Really? That's what you worry about? I'm sorry, but your perceived horror of being surrounded by scary brown people is worrying me. I suggest you examine your "online" sources more critically. I would discourage your moving here if that's the way you feel.

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 06-12-2017, 07:30 PM

I think it was misunderstood.
That is in NO way how i feel, but that is how online sources made it out to be, so i was wanting some clarification on it.

Thank you for your help!

Old 06-12-2017, 08:35 PM

1,486 posts, read 572,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine00 View Post
I am a white female. Will i really be the only one there? Stupid to ask, but online, many have said that i would be the odd one out in most places i go. Grocery stores, etc.

I dont know hardly any spanish, not enough to hold a conversation, so these things worry me.
Most everyone here speaks english. El paso people are very friendly. We don't really have any race issues at all here, in spite of being about 85 percent hispanic. Staying north of 1-10 drops that percentage. Near the base it is much lower. But it really doesn't matter because most people DO speak english.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or