Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 05:05 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,162,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
The mountains are just fine.
Here again it's possible to say that; "It's all in the eyes of the beholder!"

As someone whose playground was Crazy Cat Mtn when I was a kid, I doubt that I'd be permitted to even walk there today with all the McMansions that have been constructed there. And I'm old enough to remember when there was NO TV, much less TV towers on the higher peaks. Were it not for the areas placed in public trust as state parks, the mountain would long ago have been further defaced by developers.

So I would have to say; "The mountains are NOT just fine!" They are continually under pressure of further desecration by developers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 05:59 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,259 times
Fair enough but the isolated portion you qouted was more directed to the "what's left of them comment."

Old 05-30-2012, 08:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
The mountain or what's left of it, they're ripping it apart pretty fast.

You're kidding...? That breaks my heart!
Not kidding. It's a disgrace what they're doing to the beautiful Franklin Mountain. It's a wound that will never heal and the damage can never be undone.

The developers here should be relocated to a flat plains area like Lubbock where they don't have a mountain to destroy -- a mountain they view as nothing but an obstacle that needs tearing down.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,591 times
Default hy

Hello!

I have some questions about El Paso. My wife and me are going to move to El Paso. We will come from Europe. We are foreigners and therefore we have some questions to you.
We want to rent a house near to 79912. It looks like a good place to live.
What is your opinion about it? Could you recommend a good house for us?
What are the most important things, which we have to pay attention to?
Air condition and heating system; maintenance for the garden and the pool,
How much does a maintenance cost

What is the best bank in EP?
What and where is the best choice if we want
- to have internet/TV/phone (ATT or anything else)
- to buy a new or used car.
What kind of car we should buy?
Which and where is the best car service in EP? (price/service rate)

Old 06-08-2012, 07:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGergo View Post
Hello!

I have some questions about El Paso. My wife and me are going to move to El Paso. We will come from Europe. We are foreigners and therefore we have some questions to you.
We want to rent a house near to 79912. It looks like a good place to live.
What is your opinion about it? Could you recommend a good house for us?
What are the most important things, which we have to pay attention to?
Air condition and heating system; maintenance for the garden and the pool,
How much does a maintenance cost

What is the best bank in EP?
What and where is the best choice if we want
- to have internet/TV/phone (ATT or anything else)
- to buy a new or used car.
What kind of car we should buy?
Which and where is the best car service in EP? (price/service rate)
A lot of people like 79912. It's close enough to downtown, the hospitals, UTEP, shopping, the nightclubs. If you work on the West Side, 79912 would be a good choice.

Air conditioning is a matter of personal preference, you may find evaporative cooling perfectly fine, or if you leave the windows and doors open, you can get a good breeze going through or have a couple of fans that's good enough. Some people like refrigerated air.

Most houses use piped in gas for heat and that's affordable. Maintenance costs are probably low here - but it could depend on how often you require maintenance.

Myself, I would look for lots of traffic and avoid it -- there are quiet neighborhoods but there are neighborhoods where cars rip through all hours of the day and night.

There are all kinds of new and used car dealerships -- I always buy used cars and have good luck with them, I'd rather pay $100 here and there to a mechanic than have a monthly payment. There are plenty of car service options, there are places that you can pull up and get oil changed, fluids checked and refilled, parts like gas filters replaced and they have you quickly in and out. 79912 is also near a lot of places on Doniphan that fix cars - it's always a good idea to check the BBB for ratings.

In my opinion the best banks are the credit unions. They have lots of branches and often the better loan rates. ATT offers good internet and phones but there are lots of other options. A lot of people just use a cell phone and have no land line. There are alot of free television channels here, I don't see any real need for paid television but if you watch a lot of television, that's a very available option.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,591 times
Thank you your answers!

And I have some other questions.
I would like to buy a GPS. What types of GPS do you recommend me? My wife is going to work in Juarez therefore I need Mexican map too.

Is there any saving card in Walmart, Albertson or ect? Something similar than the Lufthansa Miles and More card. You can collect miles and than you can buy things or air tickets.

In Hungary there is a special website: aurkereso.hu I use this side if I want to buy something. This site can make a list about the best offers.

LCD TV, Plazma TV - Árak, TV Akciók - Olcsó LCD TV, Plazma TV, HDTV vásárlás, LED tévé árak összehasonlítása

Google Translate

(best prices and best recommended shops) Can you recommend me a similar webpage?

Old 11-03-2012, 11:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,618 times
I can't believe it. I have lived here in El Paso for 11 years. Moved from outside Washington, D.C. The medical care is is substandard.
There are nine pulmonologists here for 800,000 people. Seven went to medical school in Mexico and one went to school in the Phillipines. In Tucson, AZ there are 600,000 people and 59 pulmonologists.
There is no Cyberknife within 350 miles of this city. There are 100 Cyberknifes in the U.S. Look up cyberknife and see what it does.
Whole Foods started in Texas. El Paso is the fourth largest city in the State of Texas. Whole Foods does not have a store here (what does that tell you?).
Our Mayor and City Council voted to tear down City Hall and put it in three separate buildings (imagine needing a permit for something)? so the city can build a baseball stadium.
The mentally in this town is lacking and the taxes are terribly high.

We are moving to Arizona.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:25 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,259 times
Imagine needing a permit, finding out in advance where to go to get it, and then going to that place to get it. Imagine.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:48 PM

643 posts, read 1,313,175 times
Arizona is going to be so much better!

Good luck with your move! Texans do things a bit different. I'm alright with that!!

Old 05-01-2014, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 4,618 times
In Arizona now. Much better. Different attitude completely. Property taxes are one third of Texas and the grocery stores here have a better grade of food and meat then they sell in El Paso, even Albertsons here is like night and day from the El Paso stores.
Don't know why people stay in El Paso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso