Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 03:57 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,216,251 times

Advertisements

Id always thought, it be pretty cool, if they closed off the south end of the Sun Bowl, and added some more seats, increase the capacity from 52,000 to 70, 75,000.That would make it one of the biggest stadiums in the southwest, and i believe the biggest in Conference USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 08:10 PM

639 posts, read 1,042,946 times
I myself have always like the idea of a Sun Bowl expansion, I remember when back in the 70's the seasons always ended up misserable for the Miners, and I use to think, I'll never see this stadium to it's full capacity, forget about expansion.

But then in the early 80's they did just that and the Miners wer'nt even winning, they extended the eastside and they also added a north endzone seating, but supposenly the Sun Bowl was schedule for a 57 thousand seat expansion because the architect rendering said that their would be a balcony above the eastside seating, that portion never got built so the Sun Bowl settled for 52 thousand seats.

Now I always vission another Sun Bowl expansion, one where they would tear down the press box and extend the west side seating to equal the east side seating in height, and during that construction build a brand new press box about five stories high with a 2 thousand seat captains club and then at the South end zone build another addition to match the nouth end zone except for, the south end at the very top they could add a pedestrain plaza and a brand new state of the art score board,BUT HEY! when I hit the lottery I'm gonna buy UTEP a modern score board, better than the one that UT Austin has.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:33 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Here you go Levow as it's Utep vs NMSU at the Sun Bowl

UTEP Pregrame Field Entrance

Old 04-03-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
I myself have always like the idea of a Sun Bowl expansion, I remember when back in the 70's the seasons always ended up misserable for the Miners, and I use to think, I'll never see this stadium to it's full capacity, forget about expansion.

But then in the early 80's they did just that and the Miners wer'nt even winning, they extended the eastside and they also added a north endzone seating, but supposenly the Sun Bowl was schedule for a 57 thousand seat expansion because the architect rendering said that their would be a balcony above the eastside seating, that portion never got built so the Sun Bowl settled for 52 thousand seats.

Now I always vission another Sun Bowl expansion, one where they would tear down the press box and extend the west side seating to equal the east side seating in height, and during that construction build a brand new press box about five stories high with a 2 thousand seat captains club and then at the South end zone build another addition to match the nouth end zone except for, the south end at the very top they could add a pedestrain plaza and a brand new state of the art score board,BUT HEY! when I hit the lottery I'm gonna buy UTEP a modern score board, better than the one that UT Austin has.
damn high, you had a more extensive vision than me for a sun bowl upgrade, im all for it, if you run for office, you got my vote!!!! lol

Old 04-03-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Here you go Levow as it's Utep vs NMSU at the Sun Bowl

UTEP Pregrame Field Entrance

thanks 6'3!!!! im looking forward to the texas vs utep already!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 11:35 AM

105 posts, read 493,924 times
For my Sun Bowl wishes: (1) thoroughly upgrade the restrooms, and I mean a complete overhaul; (2) upgrade the press boxes, maybe add some suites to bring in more bucks to the athletic department; (3) add seats to the south end, but keep that end low so people can still see the mountains and Juarez; (4) yes, update the scoreboard; (5) have a good-size gift shop either under or next to the stadium--what they have there now under the stands is tiny and has few goods; (6) new seats--the metal benches are getting pretty rickety.

Other wishes: schedule more MWC and PAC-10 teams (for all sports). UTEP's a southwestern school and needs to solidify its position in the southwest again. C-USA is too diffuse of a conference and has little identity. Upgrade the interior of the Don (new scoreboards, new court, upgraded restrooms) and please, for Pete's sake, could they finally do something with the roof of the Don? All those patches on the roof look mighty ghetto. :-)

Last edited by TexanWest; 04-04-2008 at 12:08 PM..

Old 04-04-2008, 11:49 AM

new seats--the metal benches are getting pretty rickety.[quote]

lol and they get cold as hell in the winter

All those patches on the roof look mighty ghetto. :-)

very true, i think it used to have the utep logo on top, and for some reason it started pealing, but now it duz look very ghetto.

i really wonder if anybody knows if utep, does have any plans to upgrade the Sun Bowl, not just for the Miners, but also it will help lure better teams and more fans to the actual Sun Bowl game. An artist rendering of what the Sun Bowl might llok like with an upgraded pressbox and more seats would be cool [hint hint]

Old 04-04-2008, 12:12 PM

105 posts, read 493,924 times
It's possible they had to fix the roof of the Don because of leaks. But they could have at least painted it over again, or something.

I'm pretty sure Stull has thought about Sun Bowl upgrades, but they might need more donors for that. I'm sure a consistently winning football program would do the trick.

Another wish: UTEP baseball!

Old 04-04-2008, 12:18 PM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,103,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanWest View Post
Forget about UTEP baseball! On May 8th go to Cohen Stadium and join all the fans of El Paso Diablos!!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 12:25 PM

You know whats funny, my son is a pretty good lil league baseball player [by the way we need sponsors to help us get to the lil league world series in louisiana in july] and he wants to play pro ball, [like all lil kids] anyway...he was mighty dissapointed utep didnt have a baseball program, i was like nmsu has one, and he told me, "yeah but the aggies suck, i hate them" lol, i told him maybe by the time you get to college, the miners will have a baseball program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: