Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2020, 06:49 PM

32 posts, read 40,279 times

Advertisements

I work for a software company in Silicon Valley which is embracing a distributed employee model -- meaning we can choose where we want to work instead of being anchored to a city where our company offices are located.

Our salaries will be adjusted based on where we move but I crunched the numbers and I would still come out ahead.

I've lived in Tucson and Phoenix before living in the Bay Area so very familiar with the southwest. I don't care to move back to Arizona and I like what El Paso offers: I get my sunsets and monsoons back and wonderful Mexican food and no state income taxes! Nice. I understand the property taxes are high.

I could buy a modest home in El Paso ($250k) and pay it off in approx. 5 years. (which would be a challenge in the Bay Area) and use my home as a basecamp to semi-retire early after I pay off the house and travel and do as I wish.

I could go to Austin but I would probably end up in Round Rock or Pflugerville to keep house costs modest and I believe the heat is more intense there. One of the reasons I do not want to go back to Arizona is the oppressive heat.

Austin would obviously be more savvy in terms of job security since their economic opportunities are in alignment with my career and far exceed El Paso. So, I'm a little bit nervous because if I do this (move to El Paso) if anything happens to my job in the short term then I would need to find another distributed position at a tech company. But I think that distributed or at least a hybrid model of distribution will be the way of the world for knowledge workers.

That's my context. Can I get feedback or input on what you think of El Paso as a place for remote workers?

Anything you would add to my thought process?

And, finally, does anyone have realtor recommendations?

Last edited by usoda; 09-15-2020 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 12:24 PM

730 posts, read 1,886,041 times
I think it can be a nice remote work base. On I-10, international airport, so connected travel-wise. We are getting some of the same things other larger cities have. Certainly no SF Bay Area, but not some dusty outpost. If you sell a house in SF/SJ, you can certainly buy a house here in cash. $250K is a pretty extravagant house in EP. You can get modest for a lot less in any part of town, even West Side.

Last edited by Caltep; 09-17-2020 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 09-17-2020, 01:20 PM

125 posts, read 189,529 times
I agree--the market is starting to pick up a bit here, but it is still a good time to buy.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:11 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,422,177 times
If your job is somewhat secure and you can remote in, I would totally be in EP. Safe, relatively clean, and out of the limelight, just how I like it. If it was not for the job issue I would be back to my town, I miss it tremendously and that is just a fact after 15 years away. Been all over the world and now I can appreciate it.

Old 09-22-2020, 05:12 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,185,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltep View Post
I think it can be a nice remote work base. On I-10, international airport, so connected travel-wise. We are getting some of the same things other larger cities have. Certainly no SF Bay Area, but not some dusty outpost. If you sell a house in SF/SJ, you can certainly buy a house here in cash. $250K is a pretty extravagant house in EP. You can get modest for a lot less in any part of town, even West Side.
International airport? I've never seen a Customs area there. I was there last August, I must have missed it. What international cities can you fly to directly out of ELP, or what international cities can you fly directly into ELP? Or what airline?

Old 09-22-2020, 08:54 PM

89 posts, read 105,757 times
I remember hearing, I think on this site that they had a to or from a Canadian airport. But as far as the EP airport the times I've flown out of there was very smooth.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:03 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,335,467 times
For remote workers, ELP is a yes for sure IMO. ELP is a good size city with fantastic weather, good cost of living and still a hometown feeling. Parts as it's westside are pretty upscale and Kern's Place off UNLV has lots of character.
Lots of outdoor activities and open spaces. People are friendly and bilingual for the most part.
It's not cosmopolitan as you probably know. Think quiet and serene and fewer things to do within the city compared to others. Don't think there's another city similar to ELP. The job market is usually what keeps people from moving here and that seems that it is not an issue with you.

Old 10-11-2020, 04:56 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,627,044 times
As far as a realtor recommendation and good overview of the El Paso region are concerned, check out John Peña’s YouTube channel. He puts out lots of good information about El Paso and its environs.

https://youtu.be/MqKJ3L8XDVA

https://penaelpaso.com/

Old 10-11-2020, 05:00 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,627,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
For remote workers, ELP is a yes for sure IMO. ELP is a good size city with fantastic weather, good cost of living and still a hometown feeling. Parts as it's westside are pretty upscale and Kern's Place off UNLV has lots of character.
I believe you meant to say UTEP (University of Texas - El Paso) instead of UNLV

Old 10-12-2020, 01:59 PM

4,513 posts, read 2,489,057 times
Most tech jobs can be done remotely, so being here in El Paso, would be fine as far as your job goes.
El paso has low violent crime. Named one of the safest cities of its size for multiple yrs in a row.
The most common crime here is probably burglary of unlocked cars/garages. I walk my dogs around 2 am each night, and am perfectly safe.
The weather is great. Even when temps are over 100, the low humidity makes it not an issue. You can run in the mornings all summer. Winters are generally mild, with daytime temps averaging in the mid 50s.
As a caucasian woman in her 50's, and having lived in El Paso since 96 (alamogordo for 10 yrs previous in USAF), I haven't felt discriminated against.
The housing mkt right now is a sellers mkt, but even then, our prices don't get the overinflated bubbles like some places do. You can buy a 3 bdm 2 ba house in NE with tefrigerated air/2 car garage under 150k.
On East side, figure under 170k, and on westside under 200k.
The westside is considered the more affluent area. East side has lots of shopping/restaurants but heavy traffic.
Upper valley is greener, less expensive than westside.
If you have any questions about areas, I'm happy to help.
I'm a realtor and would be happy to help. Been a realtor here for 12 years. Pm me if you want my name and ph # so you can check reviews. Can provide many references.

Last edited by Spottednikes; 10-12-2020 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso