U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,320 times
From what I have heard from El Paso natives, I agree with you Muhnay. Although I have never lived in El Paso, several people I work with in the IT industry in Austin have grew up in El Paso or the Valley. They go back to El Paso to visit family during the holidays, but would NEVER consider moving back. Two friends originally from El Paso are both Anglo (non spanish speaking (IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE THERE TO BE BILINGUAL)) and did have a really tough time finding decent paying jobs after high school. Mountains and deserts can be pretty, but I couldn't give up grass and trees. Water has been an issue with most of the state of Texas. Even here in Austin the polititians are constantly talking about water supplies in the next 10 years. El Paso will never be a Phoenix unless they move Juarez and do some serious beutification projects. Anyone that has lived in Texas long enough knows money for cities can be a problem. Take Corpus Christi for instance "The sparkling city by the sea". The city has all the right ingredients to be a great vacation destination, yet fails to make the grade. South Padre on the other hand is much better, but had to sell out to big business to be successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 09:49 PM

5,080 posts, read 2,894,658 times
I know I am hard on this city, but I want people who are looking at it as a new home to know. "Its not always greener on the other side of the fence." I dont want to blow smoke up any ones butt either. I would rather give a complete discription, bad and good.. I have a hard time finding any good with El Paso, other than its home and where I grew up, my mom and aunt are here but other than that.. it has really gone down hill, and will only get worse. I am a AAA member and they recently did an article on El Paso, and felt the writer was viewing El Paso with rose colored glasses, and was lieing to her readers. I also get Travel and Liesure Magazine, and there was a story of a guy that was traveling across the country, he said something nice of each city along the way.. his words "there is nothing good about El Paso" and choose to travel to Las Cruises before stopping to eat or anything. To me that says a lot, our curb appeal must be really low.

There is a running joke that most El Paso people will tell you, ask your friends there Austin.. That El Paso is a black hole, it gets hold of you and it takes a lot of hard work to escape it. It will put you in poverty, and hold you down.. So many people never want to come within 50 miles of this city for fear they will be dragged back kicking and screaming.

yeah I have a friend whos sister works for IBM there in Austin, she is what they call Yuppie Scum. She is filthy rich. Huge house on some lake there. Anyways, I have heard you have some water issues out that way, kinda wierd considering all the lakes and rivers in the area.

Oh Man I know, I would love it if they would do something with Corpus.. its such a pretty place, it has such great potential. Some place I would love to live, but it would need some serious TLC. As I have said, I go down that way once a year. They could also steal some of that Spring Break Brownsville stuff, if they just did something with their island. And the cool thing its in the perfect location.. 3-4 hours to Houstin, 2 hours to San Antonio, 4 to Austin. It really could be the Gem of the Gulf Coast.

Im just glad someone out there knows I am not trying to scare people off with lies and bullcrap.. that I am only telling them the truth of El Paso.. so they can make an informed decision.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:07 AM

175 posts, read 812,079 times
Default funny one

I am just surprised that someone would actually think that El Paso could become the next Phoenix, if any city became the next Phoenix it would be Albuquerque,Tucson or Austin, but I doubt that would ever happen,not for another 30 to 40 years maybe.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:17 AM

12,984 posts, read 23,450,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by councilor j View Post
I am just surprised that someone would actually think that El Paso could become the next Phoenix, if any city became the next Phoenix it would be Albuquerque,Tucson or Austin, but I doubt that would ever happen,not for another 30 to 40 years maybe.
I'm even more surprised that some idiotic statement that Albuquerque could ever be a Phoenix. It can't grow much more physically as the Sandia mountains on its east, Sandia pueblo on its north boundary, Isleta pueblo on its south boundary and Laguna pueblo to its near west boundary.El Paso can and is growing on its east boundary with no limit for 200 miles if it had the water..

El paso is larger in square miles and population than ABQ.....

Old 01-04-2007, 05:19 AM

Its also growing upto the state line near Chapperal. And they have grown on the west side right upto Trans Mountain rd.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:34 PM

710 posts, read 1,758,325 times
El paso is larger in square miles and population than ABQ.....

El Paso itself may be slightly larger than Albuquerque (within the city limits), however Albuquerque's metro area is larger in both area and population. Albuquerque's growth rate is twice that of El Paso. You have to consider alot of things, first of all the economy and the Job market in Albuquerque is way stronger than El Paso. There are significantly more High Tech jobs & companies in Albuquerque (better salaries) Than El Paso, The media market in Albuquerque is ranked 48th in the US the El Paso market is 98th. The Albuquerque Sunport has twice the air traffic of El Paso International about 600,000 flights a month, to 280,000 a month in El Paso.
Albuquerque has significantly more housing units and apartment units in the city itself and this doesn't include Rio Rancho. The Albuquerque Metro area is predicted to grow by 300,000 residents in the next 15 years, it has plenty of room to grow with the planned communities of Mesa Del Sol on the SE part of town 60,000 residents. Westland Development 100,000 residents to the west, Rio West which is west of Rio Rancho 50,000 residents and plenty of room east of the Sandia's.
So yes it could be called the next Phoenix, however Albuquerque is controlling sprawl alot better than Phoenix did.
As for water the Chama river water project is about 50% complete which will bring in plenty of water for the Metro area for years to come.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:52 PM

Let us not also forget your on Interstae 40.. one of the busiest east/west highways in the country. So I can see ABQ.. the next Phoinex like city. Besides your also closer to larger metro areas than El Paso is. So I can stand to reason the statement is not all wrong. =)

Old 01-04-2007, 07:25 PM

12,984 posts, read 23,450,024 times
Then lets define the next Phoenix. I'm assuming the original poster (Guerilla) is emplying population by reading his/her first 2 posts. So lets look at the numbers. The 2000 U.S.Census numbers (not mine).

Albuquerque 448,607
rio rancho 51,765
loslunas 10,034

El Paso 563,662
socorro 27,152
juarez 1,500,000 < ?? (non u.s. census)

Phoenix 1,321,045
mesa 396,375
glendale 218,812
scottsdale 202,705
chandler 176,581
tempe 158,625
gilbert 109,697

As you can see Phoenix and its metro is huge.
Although i cringe saying it you have to add Juarez to E.P. metro so it is bigger than ABQ.
So even adding Mesa Del Sol , Rio Rancho expansion and ABQ west side there is still only so much more to grow in square miles and population as ABQ is boxed in by the reservations. Were as E.P. can go 200 miles east past Horizon City if it chose to do so.

But i will admit about ABQ's economy is fantastic and is high tech with the Labs and Sandia tech park, Eclipse, Intel and too many others to list as this is why i have lived in ABQ the last 12 yrs instead of my hometown of E.P. Yes i think mayor Martin Chavez rocks as mayor.....

Old 01-04-2007, 07:58 PM

710 posts, read 1,758,325 times
Albuquerque | Rio Rancho | Belen | Los Lunas | Los Ranchos de Albuquerque | Estancia Valley add Bernallilo and Placitas.

These are the Metro area communities, if you live here you should be able to understand the tremendous growth of the area. 2000 metro area population 729,000 ; 2005 820,000 ; 1.2 million in 15 years.
El Paso metro 679,000- 2000 census.
As for juarez you can't include it into the metro population because it is not recognized by the US government therefore does not recieve federal monies based on that.
Also based on the El Paso economy it will grow, however there is limitations when the economy cannot drive the growth, basically it strains the city and chokes it.
As you know Albuquerque does have some growing problems and is setting itself up for the projected growth.
Albuquerque will NEVER be like Phoenix, however I see it becoming a major player in the southwest.
The Metro communities is from the Albuquerque economic development site.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:03 PM

Man harry o you keep talking like that and I may have to join you up there. =)

I was referring to economics, location and growth potential. ABq has us beat on that.. being a border town we will always be low rent.

Lets also include Anthony, and Las Cruses into them numbers for El Paso as well.. and then we have to also include Chapperal N.M. as it is now considered a BURB of El Paso.. we heard they Incorperated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso