U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-12-2007, 04:15 PM
 
Location: El Paso, Texas
61 posts, read 198,847 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

As I posted in the other thread, the poverty level in El Paso is estimated at 29%, not 70%.

This is according to the Census Bureau.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2007, 01:10 PM
jse
 
10 posts, read 20,995 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eplifestyle View Post
As I posted in the other thread, the poverty level in El Paso is estimated at 29%, not 70%.

This is according to the Census Bureau.

I do have this figure wrong. My estimate would be 50%. Being a teacher, I see the Title I stats on all the schools in my district. There are very few schools in which 2/3s of the students are not eligible for the free or reduced lunch program, which means the family's income is at or below the poverty line and I'm sure that is typical of all county school districts. I will not dispute the Census Bureau figure, but I will speculate that it does not account for the large number of local crossing families who get the benefit of gov't services and if the population under 40 only was considered, the figure would approach mine.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2007, 12:55 PM
 
Location: El Paso, Texas
61 posts, read 198,847 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jse View Post
I do have this figure wrong. My estimate would be 50%. Being a teacher, I see the Title I stats on all the schools in my district. There are very few schools in which 2/3s of the students are not eligible for the free or reduced lunch program, which means the family's income is at or below the poverty line and I'm sure that is typical of all county school districts. I will not dispute the Census Bureau figure, but I will speculate that it does not account for the large number of local crossing families who get the benefit of gov't services and if the population under 40 only was considered, the figure would approach mine.
Yes, that is why I posted the figure as an estimate.

In theory, Census Bureau data includes all of the local population. Of course, people who live here illegally are called "undocumented" for a reason.

Also in theory, there are no undocumented children in the school system. We know this to be untrue, of course. We have no practical method of determining U.S. citizens below the poverty line versus undocumented immigrants in the same situation.

I concede that the Census Bureau data are not exact. But I don't think I would agree that 2/3 of the students in the combined EP districts live below the poverty line. We would have to pull the data from the lunch programs to know for sure. But even if we did, we already know that people sometimes take advantage of programs intended for others.

So I still think even 50% is too high. But a "poverty line" is a somewhat arbritary measure with limited value. Suffice to say, shall we, that El Paso is an area with below average per capita income.

Cheers,
-eplifestyle
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2007, 04:30 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 3,361,199 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by eplifestyle View Post
As I posted in the other thread, the poverty level in El Paso is estimated at 29%, not 70%.

This is according to the Census Bureau.
LOL, this is very funny. What a crock.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2007, 10:19 AM
jfe
 
Location: El Paso
61 posts, read 193,093 times
Reputation: 36
True, city council is a joke

True, property taxes are horrendous, I am tired of having to dish out thousands of dollars, and it keeps increasing each year

Phoenix has home owner's associations all over the place, so that creates an additional cost of living.

Real estate in El Paso used to be great, bought my at $84 sf, now similar homes are $120+ ?!?

They are going to drive me out of my own house with taxes if this keeps up, and then the now famous bubble will burst.

I love El Paso
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2007, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Metro Milwaukee, WI
3,058 posts, read 8,203,351 times
Reputation: 1616
Here are a few things to make you feel better jfe -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfe View Post
True, city council is a joke
This is a problem not exclusive to El Paso. I live in Albuquerque currently, and the city council here is beyond a joke as well. I used to live in a rather big Midwestern city - Milwaukee, WI - and their city council is even worse. I believe many other cities in the U.S. suffer from this same problem. So while it probably won't make you feel totally better about EP's council, take heart, councils are bad throughout the U.S.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfe View Post
True, property taxes are horrendous, I am tired of having to dish out thousands of dollars, and it keeps increasing each year
Texas property taxes are extremely high, however, from a New Mexican, take to heart that Texas has no personal income tax! That is a great, great thing! In doing the math, if you tabulate the relative low cost of housing in TX (and EP) and the no-PIT, even with the high property taxes, you still are coming out ahead of most of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfe View Post
Real estate in El Paso used to be great, bought my at $84 sf, now similar homes are $120+ ?!?
Trust me on this one, while EP's real estate has gone up in the past 1-2 years, my extensive research shows that still, EP is BY FAR one of the most affordable communities for housing costs in the nation. It has gotten absoultely out of hand in so many other cities. In fact, Money Magazine recently rated the ten most undervalued housing communities of all sizable communities in the U.S., and eight of the ten of them were in Texas (with El Paso being like #5 or #6)...so while it may seem a substantial increase, it still is much, much better than most places.

Hang in there...EP is great!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2007, 02:59 AM
 
47,585 posts, read 35,904,646 times
Reputation: 21593
I think you sum it up pretty well --- it's possible El Paso will head into a different direction again with the military coming. That should definitely help the economy and the culture some.

It's not the friendly town it used to be and it's become very Mexican -- two classes -- either very rich or very poor. Too much road rage and rude people. Hopefully with the military coming in it will become more diverse again, more middle class.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2007, 11:06 AM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 3,361,199 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think you sum it up pretty well --- it's possible El Paso will head into a different direction again with the military coming. That should definitely help the economy and the culture some.

It's not the friendly town it used to be and it's become very Mexican -- two classes -- either very rich or very poor. Too much road rage and rude people. Hopefully with the military coming in it will become more diverse again, more middle class.
As a Former DA Police officer at Fort Bliss, they have been on a higher state of warning with the new troops coming. Crime will rise, and it will be hell on Fort Bliss for a few years.. but hey all the meetings we had on the subject were just the experts talking crap cause the hate El Paso.. right? What do they know.. the EP people on this forum know more than they do im sure.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2007, 12:41 AM
 
47,585 posts, read 35,904,646 times
Reputation: 21593
Fort Bliss will be the salvation of El Paso -- if the troops and their families come in -- otherwise there will be no jobs, no money. I'm looking forward to the military families to add some diversity to the place. Otherwise you might as well be living somewhere in Mexico. Not that you can't enjoy living in some cities of Mexico -- you can -- but sometimes you miss the good ole USA.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2007, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Mo City, TX
956 posts, read 1,641,046 times
Reputation: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
As a Former DA Police officer at Fort Bliss, they have been on a higher state of warning with the new troops coming. Crime will rise, and it will be hell on Fort Bliss for a few years.. but hey all the meetings we had on the subject were just the experts talking crap cause the hate El Paso.. right? What do they know.. the EP people on this forum know more than they do im sure.
I think you are right. You just have to take a drive to some of those bars on Dyer to know what type of problem element will be arriving soon. I don't know why everyone thinks Ft. Bliss expansion will help el paso as a whole. As usual few will benefit a great deal, but the vast majority of El Paso will not really feel much of a change other then increase traffic and crime.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top