U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:31 PM

845 posts, read 1,241,842 times
Muhnay, Desiree Wheatley's last name is spelled like I just spelled it, with two e's. As I recall, she was 15, she went to Charles Middle, before that, Fannin Elementary, and her death was set to the account of David Leonard Wood. Wood is now on Texas' death row for that murder and the murders of five other girls and women whose bodies were found out in the desert off McCombs near what is now Painted Dunes Golf Course in the late Eighties.

There was another girl, Melissa Alaniz, age 13, who disappeared at around the same time as the murders and has never been found; it was suspected that Wood killed her, too, though it was never proven. Melissa lived in the same neighborhood as Desiree (Apollo Heights, which for the uninitiated is around Salem Drive and Kenworthy Street in Northeast and has streets mostly named for figures from Greco-Roman mythology--Trojan, Hermes, Polycrates, Cupid).

My mother was the nurse at Fannin when Desiree Wheatley was there and remembers her as being perpetually unhappy, and also remembers Melissa Alaniz, whose mother was in the habit of walking her and her siblings to school and eating lunch in the cafeteria alongside them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 08:37 PM

845 posts, read 1,241,842 times
I think Henry Lee Lucas might have been more of a hot air blower and all-around twisted personality than a killer. He managed to win a commutation of his death sentence to life imprisonment from George W. Bush when he was Texas governor (a historic accomplishment) after sending police scurrying to check out all his alleged murders, literally hundreds of them, and then, as I recall, they came up empty on just about every one of them.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:56 AM

70 posts, read 315,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by councilor j View Post
Juarez dosent have very many murders for having over a million people and for being Juarez and all.Most American cities its size have double that and for El Paso thats hard to believe that a city of that size only had 14 murders,I just dont get it.
Not really 243 homicides for 243 Juarez is ALOT!in fact go to Detriot's crimerate and it would say they had about same number and Detriot is the most dangerous city in America and has about the same amount. Maybe for 70's,80's,or even 90's standard 243 is a little but now in days any city with over 100 murders is a dangerous city. For and example back in the day SA had some 1,200 murders for one single year some where in the early 90's or late 80's simular in other cities like LA or Miami too at the time but in 2005 I read SA had about 160 murders. I remember it saying that was like someone being killed every 3 days in SA back in 2005 whick is crazy. My point is if 160 murders is alot then 243 murders is alot of murders. think about it detriot americas nightmare with about 250 murders but it has a population of 5 mil while Juarez has 243 murders with a population of 1 mil that is crazy!!!

Old 11-21-2007, 01:02 AM

5,080 posts, read 3,072,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrabilius View Post
Muhnay, Desiree Wheatley's last name is spelled like I just spelled it, with two e's. As I recall, she was 15, she went to Charles Middle, before that, Fannin Elementary, and her death was set to the account of David Leonard Wood. Wood is now on Texas' death row for that murder and the murders of five other girls and women whose bodies were found out in the desert off McCombs near what is now Painted Dunes Golf Course in the late Eighties.

There was another girl, Melissa Alaniz, age 13, who disappeared at around the same time as the murders and has never been found; it was suspected that Wood killed her, too, though it was never proven. Melissa lived in the same neighborhood as Desiree (Apollo Heights, which for the uninitiated is around Salem Drive and Kenworthy Street in Northeast and has streets mostly named for figures from Greco-Roman mythology--Trojan, Hermes, Polycrates, Cupid).

My mother was the nurse at Fannin when Desiree Wheatley was there and remembers her as being perpetually unhappy, and also remembers Melissa Alaniz, whose mother was in the habit of walking her and her siblings to school and eating lunch in the cafeteria alongside them.
Yes I know.. I dated her Sister. Sundee.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:11 PM

47,586 posts, read 34,426,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by councilor j View Post
Juarez dosent have very many murders for having over a million people and for being Juarez and all.Most American cities its size have double that and for El Paso thats hard to believe that a city of that size only had 14 murders,I just dont get it.
El Paso and Juarez share in some ways -- it makes more sense to do your murdering over there if you live in El Paso -- and that is what happens sometimes.

Just like the recent rape story -- a guy living on this side was going over to Juarez to do his raping -- helping our statistics, hurting their's of course.

It might be for reasons of law enforcement -- Juarez simply doesn't have a strong tax base to provide the same kind of police and sheriff forces.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
You forget thats reported murders.. live here and you'll understand. Mexico is not known for its superior law enforcement, or keeping well documented documents. =)
I wonder if they keep statistics on the "disappeared".

Old 11-22-2007, 01:13 AM

With the Attitude that they dont even want their people back that are deported.. do you really think they care enough to track who disappeared?

Old 11-22-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
With the Attitude that they dont even want their people back that are deported.. do you really think they care enough to track who disappeared?
No they don't. But to be fair -- how many taxpayers do they have to keep a good police force going? All those umbrella communities that spring up on the outskirts have very few taxpayers -- yet require a whole lot of government services -- or would if they were to be provided.

There are colonias where no police dare to enter -- they would be killed on sight -- so whatever happens in them -- happens. Who knows all what goes on?

Old 11-22-2007, 12:16 PM

They don't need tax payers as long as drug cartels supplement their income.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,260 times
Default Juarez

Let me ask this question to all of you.

If you had a beautiful 17 year old very blonde daughter who is dating a mexican from Juarez, would you let her go to Juarez with him for Christmas??? My brother and sister in law have lost their minds I think. My husband and I are very afraid for our niece.

We live in Colorado.
Carrie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso