Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 07:47 AM

363 posts, read 442,757 times

Advertisements

Santa Teresa is another choice as you can avoid the property tax and basically live in El Paso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 12:52 PM

25 posts, read 25,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doolish1 View Post
Santa Teresa is another choice as you can avoid the property tax and basically live in El Paso.

Just a quick reply from someone who's just passing by and observing this thread: Living there is perhaps okay, all fine and good. But the commute to literally everything and everywhere is long. On top of that, God forbide you need to defend yourself in crime infested NM. I don't know about you but I'd rather live in a SYG State that has immunity from criminal prosecution than take my chances in the courts of a VERY liberal State with a generally anti 2A climate IIRC. El Paso is isolated enough as it is, so I'd like to be 'right there in the middle of things' or at least within reasonable driving distance of downtown amenities. Church, entertainment, restaurants, shopping etc. Of course, YMMV... And by all means, do correct me if any of my claims is wrong.

Old 07-12-2022, 04:30 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
I would suspect that crime in El Paso is worse than Las Cruces. I don't think crime infested is something I would describe NM as... Besides maybe Alburquerque I guess

Old 07-14-2022, 06:32 AM

25 posts, read 25,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I would suspect that crime in El Paso is worse than Las Cruces. I don't think crime infested is something I would describe NM as... Besides maybe Alburquerque I guess

I stand corrected. Albuquerque is what immediately came to mind at the time of writing. Still, NM has utterly worthless ultra lefist self defense laws where the burden of proof lies with the defendant. I would not want to live there. Without going too much down that rabbit hole, the right to self defend is the core foundation of America. No other country in the world has it. The US Constitution is unique and is what distinguishes America from the rest of the world. I wouldn't know about Las Crucas vs El Paso, but I think that is a pretty apples and oranges fair. Surprisingly, despite neighbouring one of the violent crime capitals of the world El Paso is one of the safest cities in the US.

Old 07-14-2022, 08:33 AM

206 posts, read 134,321 times
Tail end of the earning yrs...

I would stay employed at a high end / medical research job in income tax free state (TX? if it works for you), and rent a nice. small, and small well secured apartment while investing / planning my post-income / career new location. Including buying RE elsewhere if so desired.

LC is plenty nice, but wages might be lower than ELP. It seems preferred as a retiree destination. Has a very intellectual and involved retiree community.

Proximity to airport (ELP) is handy if you plan on a lot of travel during these yrs.
Take as much money in as possible during these last few yrs, spending it when you finally retire will be easy.

If your relocation choices are wide open... look into Oro Valley, AZ (NE Tucson. )
That might save you a future move. SE AZ has a lot to offer and climate is very different than PHX.

Old 07-17-2022, 05:46 AM

363 posts, read 442,757 times
I like all these areas mentioned. Phoenix has many areas which are great. I think Sun City is cool in PHX because it is cheaper because it is a city with no schools to pay for.

I also like Tucson, I think Green Valley is a great area south of Tucson, in addition to Oro. Marana also is a newer area which gives better access to PHX from Tucson.

There are no crime concerns in El Paso, Texas. I have lived in so many places and El Paso was a really cool place to live. I cannot think of a place that I thought was remotely dangerous. There are some older neighborhoods, but I did not feel unsafe walking around anywhere in the metro. I will say straight up I would NOT want to retire in El Paso or Las Cruces just because I would not want to enter a hospital in the area. I have no confidence in the medical care in this area.

Las Cruces is very different from El Paso. It has a whole different vibe. I really like Las Cruces. They have a ridiculous farmer's market 2 times a week and a great community feel, especially supporting the Aggies. I also think their college golf course is the best golf course in Las Cruces or El Paso.

Again, if I am getting into retirement age, I am looking at Phoenix, Houston and Central Florida because they have the warmth and the health care that I would need.

I would NOT want to rely on the El Paso or Tucson area health care systems at that age.

Old 07-22-2022, 03:16 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,782 times
I have lived in most of the SW desert cities. to avoid traffic and some crime. I liked to live in these areas:
Northwest El Paso , Santa Teresa , NM
Las Cruces any area to live and work except east Dona Ana on the east side of I-10 ( HOT )
Tucson : North Tucson , Oro valley
Sierra Vista , AZ ( small 45 K ) if you can work for Ft Huachuca )
Albuquerque : west side : Rio Rancho , Vista Hills, NE : Tanoan , Academy NE ( lots of property and car theft all over ALBQ
Alamogordo ........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Phoenix area : Surprise , North Peoria , Arrowhead . ( REALLY REALLY HOT )
Prescott , AZ small ( 45 k ) my favorite for the year round climate .

Old 08-13-2022, 09:00 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,854,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatNL View Post
I stand corrected. Albuquerque is what immediately came to mind at the time of writing. Still, NM has utterly worthless ultra lefist self defense laws where the burden of proof lies with the defendant. I would not want to live there. Without going too much down that rabbit hole, the right to self defend is the core foundation of America. No other country in the world has it. The US Constitution is unique and is what distinguishes America from the rest of the world. I wouldn't know about Las Crucas vs El Paso, but I think that is a pretty apples and oranges fair. Surprisingly, despite neighbouring one of the violent crime capitals of the world El Paso is one of the safest cities in the US.
Lately, it seems more crime in LC percentage wise than ELP. I agree about the politics in NM now. Not appealing at all. Of course, they think the same about TX.LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: