U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 08:32 AM

291 posts, read 472,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

“Poor Mexico, to be so far away from God
And so close to the United States of America.”
Octavio Paz

AND vice versa.
It was Porfirio Diaz, dictator who said that...

Regards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 12:24 PM

135 posts, read 195,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Isn't it USA's fault that Juarez and Mexico is in such a bad shape?
If we caused it, why should we interfere?
Hmm, look into corruption in Mexico. Maybe if the goverment got the money it was supposed to, and it in turn spent it in ways to build infrastructure and increase education for the last 20-30 years, things wouldn't be so bad. Mexico is not a poor country. It actually has great potential. But when you have people like Salinas pillaging it for billions through the government, and everyone else following suit taking what they can get when they can get it, it doesn't leave much for a government to work with. The culture of obscene corruption has put Mexico on the fast track to a failed state. Change that culture, and watch Mexico bloom. Don't, and get ready to change the maps to rename Mexico as Narcolandia.

Although I know your post was in jest, it is interesting how it's a lot easier for people (especially people I know in Mexico) to truly believe and blame the big bad evil US aka "The Great Root of All Evil in the World and Mexico" for Mexico's problems than collectively as a nation look in the proverbial mirror.

As long as it stays in Mexico, leave it there I say. Hopefully things will eventually get bad enough that the calm legit people (95%+ of mexico) will decide to do something about it and really change Mexico and take it off it's current path. Even though it's super ugly right now, everyone I know on this side thinks that it's not going to affect them, especially if they stay away from the narco clubs and so there isn't any real surge or uprising form people truly demanding that the government stops passing the buck to everyone else that they can, and start really taking care of the people. And sorry, building a few pretty new overpasses in the last few months in Juarez is not the kind of help people in Juarez need right now.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:13 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,897,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
Cartels threaten hits in U.S. - El Paso Times

i guess its just a matter of time, before we do get involved, right?
They've got DEA agents down there in Veracruz where the 12 decapitated corpses were just found.

Unfortunately I think we are getting involved.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:16 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,328,006 times
Will Mexico get involved to stem the crime in Houston and Detroit?

Old 09-06-2008, 10:43 PM

135 posts, read 195,414 times
Is Houston or Detroit right on the border of Mexico? And are Detroit hitmen telling the Juarez government that they've decided to go into Juarez if need be to kill specific people? Apples and oranges, apples and oranges...

Old 03-20-2010, 03:03 PM

124 posts, read 268,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Yeah but Haiti had/has paramilitary thugs under the dictators compared to Mexico which has a free standing army. I think only Brazil has an larger army in Latin America than Mexico.

Secondly i think alot of Mexicans still fume over the Mexican/American war as when they lost as then President Polk made them sign over what is now the western USA.
Ah Yes---the "Blame America First" theory---I presume you are referring to the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in which Mexico ceded land to the US for fifteen million dollars (equivalent to 380 million in today's dollars) and the forgiveness of another 3.25 million (equivalent to $81.4.) In addition, there was the Gasden Purchase in which the US paid Mexico another $10 million. I have attached a link to Wikipedia.org so that you might be further enlightened....

Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-23-2010, 01:54 PM

5,402 posts, read 12,228,078 times
Default ??

Mexicomike, did you realize you were replying to a ghost... this is an old blast from the past thread...2008, maybe that is why no follow up. Errr, until mine that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or