Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2008, 05:34 PM

138 posts, read 454,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Uhm we have a MACY's.
Yes, I am aware. But what I said was "Nordstrom or anything above that." As far as department stores I was referring to upscale department stores like Nordstrom, Barneys, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Saks, etc. Macy's is a mid-scale department store and is on the same level as Dillard's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 05:40 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj4003 View Post
Yes, I am aware. But what I said was "Nordstrom or anything above that." As far as department stores I was referring to upscale department stores like Nordstrom, Barneys, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Saks, etc. Macy's is a mid-scale department store and is on the same level as Dillard's.
Ahh how the mighty have fallen. I can remember when Macys was the schiznit.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
LOL Macy's isn't bad at all! It's huge brand! All I am saying is that in the world of department stores it is not on the same level as the Barneys and Saks Fifth Avenues!

Old 10-14-2008, 06:01 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltep View Post
So I heard this AM that the county commissioners vote down the mall...was their take not enough? The quote I heard on the radio is "....now there is no project". I didn't hear or read the rationales, but now we are stuck with an eyesore and with this vote, who is going to want to try to develop that property knowing they will get screwed. I am disappointed that the county commissioners have stopped progress in its tracks. What do you all think?
What a real bummer as i didn't know the county had that much power over the city.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:53 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:

I do too -- but I guess they figured out that appealing to the unwashed masses works.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:03 AM

730 posts, read 1,895,410 times
Macy's used to and maybe including their (former?) parent Federated were going through some bankruptcy protection/proceeding in the 90's. In CA, Macy's back in the day was all that, then started opening stores in regions not typical to "elite" shopping. And the merchandise selection I noticed and size of store was commensurate with the population of the immediate region. The Macy stores in the more blue collar region stores were different from the ones in upper income areas. And you kenw things were changing when they installed the price scanners and shopping carts. I guess the Target model works and stores like Macy's followed suit.

Last edited by Caltep; 10-15-2008 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 10-15-2008, 11:43 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,217,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj4003 View Post
LOL Macy's isn't bad at all! It's huge brand! All I am saying is that in the world of department stores it is not on the same level as the Barneys and Saks Fifth Avenues!
i went to saks fifth in phoenix and wasnt impressed, it was more upscale than dillards, but nothing impressive.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:00 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
i went to saks fifth in phoenix and wasnt impressed, it was more upscale than dillards, but nothing impressive.
I lived in Michigan for a little when I was in school, and one day my friends (They were from EP to) and I went to a mall in Troy, Michigan that had a Saks. As we walked through the front door we got this look from one of the ladys working there like "what are you doing here". I guess we looked like aliens (the illegal type)

Old 10-15-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding me? You are saying that in comparision to Dillard's, Saks isn't impressive? Dillard's is nowhere near Saks in the department store game. Saks at Biltmore in Phoenix carries brands that Dillard's dreams about!

Dillard's = Levi's, Birkenstock, Anne Klein, Kenneth Cole Reaction, MICHAEL by Michael Kors, Perry Ellis, Steve Madden, Lauren by Ralph Lauren, BCBG, etc.

Saks = 7 For All Mankind, Christian Louboutin (he even made an appearance at the store to sign shoes), Alexander McQueen, Zac Posen, Ralph Lauren (Black & Purple Label), Prada, Fendi, Herve Leger, Carolina Herrera, Dolce & Gabbana, Michael Kors, Roberto Cavalli, Marc Jacobs, etc.

The difference in products is clear.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:43 PM

879 posts, read 3,037,012 times
Quote:
I also went to a Saks once and several Nordstroms and I kind of thought the same thing.. it just looked nice in there but nothing really that made me say "wow" They just looked nicer but that was about it.. oh yeah and the merchandise was really expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso