U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 10:47 AM

2,625 posts, read 10,050,046 times

Advertisements

I also went to a Saks once and several Nordstroms and I kind of thought the same thing.. it just looked nice in there but nothing really that made me say "wow" They just looked nicer but that was about it.. oh yeah and the merchandise was really expensive.

thats exactly what i meant, i mean it was ok, but northing to be like {oh my god]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 02:28 PM

138 posts, read 391,174 times
Going into the store to look and actually goingto the store to buy something is completely different. The point is upscale department stores carry certain products that mid-scale stores do not. Therefore an upscale department store is a destination for shopping for a certain line or product, for which many (or most) in El Paso cannot afford.

El Paso cannot support real upscale department stores for that fact alone. The population here cannot sustain that type of retailer.

I purchased a pair of Chanel sunglasses at Saks for example. I went straight to Saks to purchase them. I did not even bother to go to Macy's. Why? Because I know Macy's doesn't carry anything Chanel (other than their makeup line). Another example: I bought a good friend a pair of Christian Louboutin pumps for Christmas last year. I went straight to Neiman Marcus to purchase them. I did not even bother with Dillard's. Why? Because I know Dillard's doesn't carry Christian Louboutin.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:40 PM

714 posts, read 1,597,291 times
Default Hmmm...outta my park.

I shop at Target, Kohl's, and Academy Sports....I thnk I am lost on some of those designer names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj4003 View Post
Going into the store to look and actually goingto the store to buy something is completely different. The point is upscale department stores carry certain products that mid-scale stores do not. Therefore an upscale department store is a destination for shopping for a certain line or product, for which many (or most) in El Paso cannot afford.

El Paso cannot support real upscale department stores for that fact alone. The population here cannot sustain that type of retailer.

I purchased a pair of Chanel sunglasses at Saks for example. I went straight to Saks to purchase them. I did not even bother to go to Macy's. Why? Because I know Macy's doesn't carry anything Chanel (other than their makeup line). Another example: I bought a good friend a pair of Christian Louboutin pumps for Christmas last year. I went straight to Neiman Marcus to purchase them. I did not even bother with Dillard's. Why? Because I know Dillard's doesn't carry Christian Louboutin.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:44 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,663,299 times
JJ I have been in El Paso too long.. I cant see spending 400 bucks on a pair of jeans when the 13 dollar pair does the same thing.. I cant see spending 1000 + on a watch when the 10 dollar one does the same thing. I cant see spending 200 bucks on sun glasses when the 20 dollar pair does the same thing. I see people in these high end fashions and go.. what a dumb ass. They don't impress me.. instead I find them quite laughable.. how sad that your so shallow that you have to religh on expensive items to make you look deep. ( not you as in you, but you as in people who buy that crap ). Its just sad.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:44 PM

I lived near malls with Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom's, etc. never could afford it-but I am plain middle class. I do believe the apparently defunct mall could have done much to bring up ELP's cred around the country, and I think it could have done well even if it didn't sell $400 jeans and $$$ sunglasses.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:57 AM

2,625 posts, read 10,050,046 times

this is one of the "shallowest" statements i have ever heard, for once i agree w muhnay, youll never catch me spending 400 on some jeans, in fact ill go to jcpenney, [moms is a manager there] and with 400 ill buy clothes for the entire family, clothes doesnt make a man or a woman.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:18 PM

138 posts, read 391,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post

this is one of the "shallowest" statements i have ever heard, for once i agree w muhnay, youll never catch me spending 400 on some jeans, in fact ill go to jcpenney, [moms is a manager there] and with 400 ill buy clothes for the entire family, clothes doesnt make a man or a woman.

You have just proven my case. All I have said is that there is not a big demand for those stores/brands in El Paso because people simply cannot afford them.

Furthermore, I resent the fact that you said my statement was shallow when it was not even directed at anyone, but I was instead pointing out the difference in products at particular department stores.

Also, I never even said anything about $400 jeans at all! I myself most likely wouldn't spend $400 on a pair of jeans either. The most I have spent on a pair of jeans is probably something like $250 for True Religions. Even then, I purchased them simply because I liked the style. Additionally, I purchased them at Nordstrom where their return policy is so loose that you can buy a pair of jeans and take them back 3 years later ripped to shreds with no receipt and they will simply tell you to go pick out another pair to exchange them for! Haha!

Old 10-17-2008, 05:15 PM

I may have to take Levow off ignore.. seems he is starting in on you now that he cant reach me.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:34 PM

Default I don't know, guy......

Wow...even $250.00 for jeans is steep for me. Hell, $25.00 is pushing the limit. Maybe I am without style and a little too practical, but in these tough times, $250.00 is enough gas for one month for one of our cars. I think I'd rather drive 150 miles than walk 10 looking stylish.

But even the thing about Nordstrom's return policy seems a bit shallow...but hey, maybe you are joking as denoted by "ha! ha!" Really hope you were.

I endorse the center and I'm sure the developers did some market analysis to see what stores would work in there. I'm sure they wouldn't have gone through this effort to now know their market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj4003 View Post
You have just proven my case. All I have said is that there is not a big demand for those stores/brands in El Paso because people simply cannot afford them.

Furthermore, I resent the fact that you said my statement was shallow when it was not even directed at anyone, but I was instead pointing out the difference in products at particular department stores.

Also, I never even said anything about $400 jeans at all! I myself most likely wouldn't spend $400 on a pair of jeans either. The most I have spent on a pair of jeans is probably something like $250 for True Religions. Even then, I purchased them simply because I liked the style. Additionally, I purchased them at Nordstrom where their return policy is so loose that you can buy a pair of jeans and take them back 3 years later ripped to shreds with no receipt and they will simply tell you to go pick out another pair to exchange them for! Haha!

Old 10-17-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltep View Post
I'm sure the developers did some market analysis to see what stores would work in there. I'm sure they wouldn't have gone through this effort to now know their market.
I agree.. and think they would of too. Good Point tried to rep you for it.. but I have to spread it around. The Rep thing is sorta like Obamas tax idea..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or