U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2009, 04:54 PM
 
246 posts, read 517,182 times
Reputation: 315

Advertisements

How bout a nice aquarium (seriously), an I-Max theatre and some nice restaurants around them and maybe something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2009, 05:14 PM
 
422 posts, read 1,115,668 times
Reputation: 381
I have heard rumblings about an Imax and Aqaurium downtown the past few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2009, 08:38 AM
 
714 posts, read 1,597,069 times
Reputation: 507
Do you think we should be comparable to ABQ if not try to be better? In terms of comparables, it would appear all of those things we may go to ABQ for can be done here, especially if the Fountains comes through, something feasible comes of the ASARCO land, and the downtown redevelopment continues. As Juarez is less of a selling point than in the past, then EP REALLY needs to work on its viability as a destination. I hear Aquarium...is that feasible? Can it link to our zoo? ABQ does that nicely. Why isn't EP a "winterbird"destination? I keep looking out our window and think of how our weather right now is the best in the country. Can EP get an NBA team to come here for an exhibition at the Haskins Center? Spurs? Mavs? Can we be a spring training location for a MLB team? Why PHX? What is going on at Cohen at this time anyway? I think our weather right now is more moderate. Pardon my ramblings, but I think the moment for realizing potential is here and if I am to live here for some time to come, I would like to see EP become more than its untapped potential.

Last edited by Caltep; 02-27-2009 at 08:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2009, 11:24 AM
 
272 posts, read 947,298 times
Reputation: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltep View Post
Do you think we should be comparable to ABQ if not try to be better? In terms of comparables, it would appear all of those things we may go to ABQ for can be done here, especially if the Fountains comes through, something feasible comes of the ASARCO land, and the downtown redevelopment continues. As Juarez is less of a selling point than in the past, then EP REALLY needs to work on its viability as a destination. I hear Aquarium...is that feasible? Can it link to our zoo? ABQ does that nicely. Why isn't EP a "winterbird"destination? I keep looking out our window and think of how our weather right now is the best in the country. Can EP get an NBA team to come here for an exhibition at the Haskins Center? Spurs? Mavs? Can we be a spring training location for a MLB team? Why PHX? What is going on at Cohen at this time anyway? I think our weather right now is more moderate. Pardon my ramblings, but I think the moment for realizing potential is here and if I am to live here for some time to come, I would like to see EP become more than its untapped potential.
I agree with everything you said. El Paso should make a much better effort to sell itself as a retirement and snowbird community and take some of those Midwest Senior citizens away from Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque and even the Rio Grande Valley. I think with the new master planned communities in the Northeast, Far East, Far West and Santa Teresa areas with plenty of golf courses we should start promoting the area much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Glory Road - El Paso, Texas (R.O)
2,613 posts, read 5,121,556 times
Reputation: 1835
Great post Caltep. Great post!

As far as sports go, we absolutely should have the following:

-An annual NBA exhibition game. Not just two random teams though. El Paso needs to "buddy up" with a team and have them play here annually. The Suns, Nuggets, or Mavs perhaps?

-Spring Training Camp for a MLB team. Seriously, just hand over the keys to Cohen Stadium and get some use out of it. With our late winter, early spring weather, we should "buddy up" with a team from a colder environment. Brewers or Twins maybe?

-Dallas Cowboy Football camp. We were in the running a few years ago. Again, this is a license to print money in El Paso. Even if we have to build them a camp with taxpayer money. This would pay off in the long run.

The big question is, exactly who can make the above happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 09:30 AM
 
197 posts, read 450,836 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
The big question is, exactly who can make the above happen?
New blood is needed in city government - especially those in major decision-making capacities. I think it's the only way. I think those currently holding the positions are entrenched with very antiquated EP views. Automatic defeatist attitudes that EP "can't be" anything but what it always has been before. Ridiculous, self-defeatist, small-minded, unworldly, self-inflicted obstacles. Overwhelming predetermined limitations and beliefs that EP will always be "held back" by and cheapened by being located right next to Mexico.

I would dare to suggest that candidates who have lived in EP their entire lives may not be what is best for the progress of EP. Newbies to the area should get more involved to provide some balance and reality about how other places work and the old guard needs to get new attitudes and get with the program if the wish to stay in public service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 10:46 AM
 
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
3,858 posts, read 5,958,161 times
Reputation: 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
As far as sports go, we absolutely should have the following....
The Baggar Vance route could help in the short term - golf, boxing, or similar high profile event to get outsiders to spend money locally. It's too bad that the "It Came From The 50s" film festival didn't take hold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 12:01 PM
 
714 posts, read 1,597,069 times
Reputation: 507
Default Yes, but...

..we have seen how newbies are/are not accepted in EP, either as disgruntled transplants or as job stealers. So imagine a non-EP native bringing these new-fangled ideas to the table. I agree, folks in EP like it as it is/was...maybe it makes every visit out of here feel like a vacation. We don't have it so it's always new when we go somewhere else, even in basics like shopping malls. I don't know if EP has an Economic Development Board, but someone in govt needs to set a higher vision. But then of course, EP city would approve it and EP county will shoot it down and then opportunity is lost. Regency Hawkins doesn't even guarantee with the recent approval of tax concessions that they would build the Fountains due to the economy. They said if it had gone through the first time, construction would already be in progress.


Quote:
Originally Posted by alliswell View Post
New blood is needed in city government - especially those in major decision-making capacities. I think it's the only way. I think those currently holding the positions are entrenched with very antiquated EP views. Automatic defeatist attitudes that EP "can't be" anything but what it always has been before. Ridiculous, self-defeatist, small-minded, unworldly, self-inflicted obstacles. Overwhelming predetermined limitations and beliefs that EP will always be "held back" by and cheapened by being located right next to Mexico.

I would dare to suggest that candidates who have lived in EP their entire lives may not be what is best for the progress of EP. Newbies to the area should get more involved to provide some balance and reality about how other places work and the old guard needs to get new attitudes and get with the program if the wish to stay in public service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 04:19 PM
 
197 posts, read 450,836 times
Reputation: 97
The "job stealer" thing always cracks me up. It's convoluded logic. If resident El Pasoans were qualified, they would apply and get the job. The only reason they don't get the job is because they are not qualified. The inherent workforce here has a reputation with outside employers as being flawed, unqualified, and grossly unmotivated. Living here you experience it first hand -- stores, restaurants, factory floors -- they are plaqued with workers who want to find a reason to tell you "no" first, tell you what you can't have, tell you what they can't do, find a way to expend as little effort and energy as they possibly can -- but still insist they are underpaid and overlooked for better jobs. It's hilarious.

EP needs an influx from the outside world to keep raising the bar on skills, education, and work ethic. And then the choice is really very clear and simple for the homegrown workforce, raise to the occassion and compete or don't.

The upside is that those who are qualified and get it when it comes to what it takes to keep a job and advance are unique and fewer making it easier to get recognized.

The whole "job stealer" argument is just an excuse to not to have to take responsibility and accountability for ones own short-comings, lack of ambition, and own up to having an expectation of being entitled "just because".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 10:00 PM
 
246 posts, read 517,182 times
Reputation: 315
Anyone know the latest on this. Are they going to tear it down soon? The sooner its gone the better. I'm still crossing my fingers that this project is gonna take off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top