Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 10:21 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,953,720 times

Advertisements

They should removed the building and open it up for other developement. The East side does not need another mall.. instead Build the one out here in the North East already.. with gas getting as high as it is.. we need a closer place to shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 08:23 AM

639 posts, read 1,043,393 times
Cielo Vista is right next door but they are talking about different high retail stores, stores that dont aready exist in El Paso regardless if they are minumum wage paying jobs, they are jobs and El Paso needs the jobs and better they end up in El Paso than elsewhere, one can wait an entire life time for high tech jobs to move into El Paso but if they do come to El Paso they should also be given tax incentives and create a high tech park north of the airport.

This mall is being planed for the former Farah and Howard Johnsons hotel location and there is where it will be built if it is to be built at all, I relate that NE El Paso needs a modern mall to accomandate coming growth and the needs of that area, there is where NE residents should go pull on Melina's Castro's skirt and ask her, whats up? (we need a mall).

Old 05-31-2008, 08:59 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clashman View Post
We need to give tax incentives to industries that create better jobs but not more retail. We need real jobs and our county and city officials need to give the incentives to the right companies. I am all for better shopping (makes the wife happy) and better eating (makes me happy) but we need more than just that and the bar should be set higher.
Normally i would agree 100% as there shouldn't be tax incentives for strip malls or big box stores. But for El Paso to get a ''High End Mall'' then i'm all for it. It already has such an image problem rivaling Tucson as old and poor etc..etc.... It would be comparatively the the same as building a new 20,000 seat High End Arena as that would not create any substantive jobs but it would be a heck of an shot in the arm for EP's image and entertainment venue. Look at the new arena Tulsa is building as it's just awesome and it's gotta help Tulsa moving up the stature ladder.

But that's just my opinion on it......

Old 05-31-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
instead Build the one out here in the North East already..
I wish they would build one out there as i can only hope that with the Bliss expansion that may convince a Mall Developer in the future.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:24 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
This (http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/personal-finance/lifestyle-money/lifestyle-money/best-cities-earn-money-spend/ - broken link) is why El Paso needs to concentrate on attracting better jobs, not more minimum wage jobs. Of the top five cities in Texas, only El Paso is excluded. Further, Texas has four cities (areas) in the top ten!

Regards

Old 05-31-2008, 11:09 AM

Well the interest is there to build this new mall that will create 2,500 new jobs,it is alot better than not to have 2,500 new jobs, bringing this new mall in is not going to discourage better high tech paying jobs from finding their way to El Paso, El Paso needs to go out and bring these companies to relocate in El Paso, take the jobs El Paso you need them more than anything, having a job is better than unemployment, no money no honey.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:26 AM

Default El Paso 6th largest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
This (http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/personal-finance/lifestyle-money/lifestyle-money/best-cities-earn-money-spend/ - broken link) is why El Paso needs to concentrate on attracting better jobs, not more minimum wage jobs. Of the top five cities in Texas, only El Paso is excluded. Further, Texas has four cities (areas) in the top ten!

Regards
None of the top five Texas cities are on the Mexican border either, as is Austin and Fort Worth have out paced El Paso, back in the 70's 80's and 90's El Paso was the 4'th largest city in Texas, now it is the 6'th largest city.

I doubt that El Paso will ever catch up and or surpass these cities in population unless the sea levels rise drasticly in the near future, but as far as population gains are concern El Paso is better off without the congestions of crowded big cities, not to say that El Paso dont already have big city headaches, just think about double the problems if El Paso had a huge population surge, slow pace is better.

El Paso should designate itself a retirement destination, old people dont need amusement parks or giant malls, they just need a nice old fashion downtown with live aligators in the town square like the back in the good old days.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:31 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
I do believe El Paso will catch up, albeit at a much (much) slower pace as the previous poster mentions. The influx of military and their families will no doubt result in more spending. Politics aside, 'trickle-down economics' works and will prevail in El Paso, no way to avoid it really.

I also agree good jobs are better than no jobs, but you have to consider the consequences. If you compare apples to apples, you might be okay, but if you put in a store that carries the same products, higher quality, and reasonably more expensive, there will no doubt be a market for it. More often than not, people do not shop at an inferior store if they can afford better.

But what happens to the store that currently has all the customers? They currently enjoy the crowds, but then the new and improved store on the block takes them away. The old store customers flee to the "new" store. Over time the old store will fade out, unable to break even, and perhaps, unfairly earning a reputation for being less of a store than the "high end" store. This also creates more unemployment.

Competition is great, better deals for all of us, but as in any competition, there is a winner and loser. Don't expect that the city can just absorb a new retail center without affecting existing ones. Just as Walmart and SAMS put out small mom and pop stores, so too will newer retail centers at the expense of others.

El Paso leaders really need to study the plan to understand what the consequences might be. Lawmakers thought it was politically correct and a great idea to introduce ethonal additives to gasoline. That made the price of rice and corn go up substantially; look at what it's done to food prices, aka, cost of living. Those measly 3-5% raises most people get (if even that) each year have been wiped out in a few short months due to food costs alone.

I do aplogize for my tone here, I do admit it is negative, but I see things on an economic level, not paychecks alone. I would love to see El Paso progress.

Regards

Old 05-31-2008, 05:37 PM

195 posts, read 657,851 times
What about a big 3-story mall in the Northeast? Either that or remodel Northpark Mall and make it into a Bassett Center like mall? Hot damn!

Old 05-31-2008, 05:57 PM

On the Redco site El Paso already has Tax incentives to land high tech/wage companies and include the state of Texas incentives it's attractive. So again i support the new establishment if it happens. Lets move EP forward City Council.

El Paso Regional Economic Development Corporation - El Paso Business Incentives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso