Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2008, 05:39 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,947,688 times

Advertisements

Nope it was sorta lost in the mix. I have no idea what its status is. I looked online did multiple searches and nothing.

Whats the companies name that is wanting to build this center? Maybe they have some news on their web page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 12:29 AM

730 posts, read 1,894,752 times
I've been to Uptown ABQ also....very nice. I know from moving here in recent years and knowing absolutely nothing about ELP that seeing familiar stores and retail put my mind somewhat at ease about coming here. I have seen in the ELP Times that folks are looking for things like Williams Sonoma, Crate & Barrel, Trader Joe's. When we moved here, I remember how excited folks were about Macy's coming to town. Where I was from, Macy's was not really a big deal anymore, given Nordstrom's and Bloomingdale's were there also. And I've heard ELP people like going to other cities b/c of the shopping and dining opportunities in those areas. I can relate to that. Some folks here can say that shopping and dining are shallow barometers of what makes a city, but if you are trying to make your mark as a city, that is one of the things people (especially visitors and tourists) look for first. Sunland Park and Cielo Vista are about average on the California mall scale. They are dated looking and this new Fountains, if anything like Uptown ABQ, will make these look shabby.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:44 PM

247 posts, read 604,921 times
So whats the deal with this project? Are they going to go through with it or not!

Old 08-28-2008, 05:17 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,608,169 times
The EP City Council to vote on it Sept 9.

Council vote expected on Farah plan - El Paso Times

Old 08-28-2008, 09:13 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,947,688 times
HEY 6/3 Did you make it down? Where did you end up?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:55 AM

248 posts, read 626,850 times
while i would have loved it when i lived there, i don't really think el paso is the kind of market to support high end stores.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utelpaso88 View Post
So whats the deal with this project? Are they going to go through with it or not!
Maybe they can't figure out if they want to do downtowns or big malls.

I think at some point they would have to make up their minds and actually chose whether it's going to be malls -- which have to do with sprawl or big downtown plans which concentrate things.

This city really doesn't have a set goal I don't think. One minute they're deciding a downtown is the way to go, then they're deciding that hospitals on the far edge of town are the way to go, then they're thinking about new malls.

Well -- that's okay with me, I'm not big on the idea of "planning" because people themselves work it out. I think sprawl is natural in the SW -- look at Tucson, because people here like wide spaces, they like the city to be horizontal.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:12 AM

38 posts, read 100,711 times
I really think we need more good cultural venues instead of more shopping malls. El Paso's economy is not so big as to sustain so many high-end stores.

If downtown could be revitalized I would push for better museums, entertainment/educational options for the children, a farmer's market, better foreign-food restaurants (other than Mexican).

I currently live in Dallas and there are just so many things to do. The Art museum has weekly activities and meetings, there is a drive-in movie theater, downtown is full of museums and markets, and there is just good entertainment and art all around. In other words, we have options! On the other hand, if you want to go out in El Paso there isn't much but...shopping malls.

I would support new business venues downtown but only if they are paired with dining, entertainment, and cultural venues.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:49 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,608,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
HEY 6/3 Did you make it down? Where did you end up?
Sorry as i didn't forget your posting dude......Yeap i visited last weekend and i'll post my assessment either later today or tomorrow. I saw good and bad and inbetween on issues.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooleniumCrunch View Post
I really think we need more good cultural venues instead of more shopping malls. El Paso's economy is not so big as to sustain so many high-end stores.

If downtown could be revitalized I would push for better museums, entertainment/educational options for the children, a farmer's market, better foreign-food restaurants (other than Mexican).

I currently live in Dallas and there are just so many things to do. The Art museum has weekly activities and meetings, there is a drive-in movie theater, downtown is full of museums and markets, and there is just good entertainment and art all around. In other words, we have options! On the other hand, if you want to go out in El Paso there isn't much but...shopping malls.

I would support new business venues downtown but only if they are paired with dining, entertainment, and cultural venues.

I agree. Internet shopping is the way many people go now. Sometimes I shop on line and just stop by the store to pick my order up.

I think for all the people who love to spend their days shopping we already have more than enough places, but people who want things to do should have something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso