U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:16 PM

10 posts, read 27,011 times

Advertisements

I may be relocating to El Paso in the near future. All the research I've done regarding area school districts (Grades pre K through 12) indicates that they rank very low in Texas and nationally. As such, can anyone please provide feedback on the area's private schools? How do they compare to the area's public schools? Which are the best?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 03:05 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,226,604 times
Don't worry about the public schools in El Paso. They're all right, considering they serve a city where a lot of kids aren't proficient in English and whose families struggle economically.

If you have to send your kids to a private school...there are all kinds of horror stories about the discipline and the conditions at Cathedral High, which is all-male (boys being beaten, possibly sexually molested by teachers, otherwise abused).

Old 06-01-2008, 03:37 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,601,528 times
I just moved from El Paso to Northern Va. Supposedly some of the best school in the country. My daughter was almost a full year AHEAD of the kids in the rest of her class. El Paso schools are very good. There are some charter ones out in the west side.

What's the name of the girl's school over in central by Copia? Anyway, a friend of ours had his daughter there and pulled her out. She had dyslexia and they were NOT willing to help her out with that.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrkelly View Post
What's the name of the girl's school over in central by Copia? Anyway, a friend of ours had his daughter there and pulled her out. She had dyslexia and they were NOT willing to help her out with that.
There's a Catholic elementary-intermediate school (St. Joseph) on Lamar off North Copia, but I think it's co-ed. Loretto Academy a few blocks east on the other side of the Patriot Freeway, on Hardaway off Trowbridge, is an all-female high school.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:17 PM

Loretto. Thank you. That's it. It's not just high school, I think it's elementary through high.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:30 PM

The primary school (which I think is K-8) is co-ed, but not the high school. Which one are you talking about?

I wouldn't be surprised if what you said about not giving needed help for learning disabilities applied to both of them.

Last edited by atrabilius; 06-01-2008 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: .

Old 06-01-2008, 06:15 PM

She was in 5th grade there. He ended up transferring her back to Whitaker.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:41 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeJ View Post
I may be relocating to El Paso in the near future. All the research I've done regarding area school districts (Grades pre K through 12) indicates that they rank very low in Texas and nationally. As such, can anyone please provide feedback on the area's private schools? How do they compare to the area's public schools? Which are the best?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
The public schools except for a couple aren't too great for academics. In some schools the teaching of math and science seem to be a big problem but there are kids that end up doing okay from each school and many that don't from each school.

The college here is required to provide much remediation and they say it's from the high schools not preparing the students for college. I'm not sure people always get what they pay for though in the private schools here, but many people like St. Clements. I've heard pros and cons about Loretto.

You might try that web site Greatschools.net and see what kind of comments parents and students are leaving -- if any -- the lack of which can indicate something also. They include the private schools which seem to have quite a bit more parent participation judging from the number of comments left.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:13 PM

254 posts, read 699,358 times
Default Area Schools

Do not send them to Da Vinci! Do not listen to all the hype abt. being advance is Science & Technology! I live in the Upper Valley/West side and the schools are good, if not better, compared to Da Vinci! My child was doing 5th grade work and she was in 6th grade! She was also in GT (Gifted and Talented Program) at her elem. Biggest mistake of my life, pulling her out of Lincoln. Not unless your child needs discipline,,,w/c is what Da Vinci is, I think, like a reform school. Bond Elem., Brown MS, Lincoln MS,,,these are good schools, good community.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:55 PM

507 posts, read 1,410,716 times
As a private school kid that just graduated from El Paso, I went to many private schools. Speaking from my parents standpoint I think you should check out Faith Christian Academy. I received a GREAT education there. It was great. Not like other schools that don't really teach your kids, I learned a lot at Faith. It is also a great environment for your kids. That schools really helped me prepare for college, from what to expect, to applying for many scholarships and things like that. If it wasn't for that school I wouldn't know what to do. They really care about you. The price is kinda steep though. I believe the rate is 4000 a year now, plus some other fees, and the school has bus service to any part of the city. The administration is great there. If you have a problem with something, they address it then and there. I think that you should check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or