U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:19 PM

10 posts, read 27,025 times

Advertisements

I may be relocating to El Paso in the near future. I currently reside an hour fron Austin, Texas and 2 1/2 hours from Houston, Texas, so there is alot to do within a close area. What cultural/recreational ativities are available in/near El Paso?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 03:39 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,604,929 times
um...

Well...

Oh! the rec centers have an AWESOME half day summer camp for kids and teens. Also, downtown is trying to get more touring musicals, plays, etc. Lots of stuff at UTEP during the year.

Albuquerque is only 4 hours away.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:33 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,745,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeJ View Post
I may be relocating to El Paso in the near future. I currently reside an hour fron Austin, Texas and 2 1/2 hours from Houston, Texas, so there is alot to do within a close area. What cultural/recreational ativities are available in/near El Paso?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
We get the rodeo coming through here, there's the county fair, and some very good monster truck shows now and then. What more could someone want?

Once in a while a decent enough rock music group puts us on their concert route, or a rare country music band. I think there are some operas and a ballet at Christmas unless they stopped having those.

Really it's not so bad -- they also have free concerts at the Chamizal, music under the stars, and something downtown that includes jazz music. It's not Austin here though.

As far as outdoors recreation -- pleny of that because the weather here is great for just about everything. Even snow skiing but you have to go to Ruidoso for that, and water skiing but in Elephant Butte. Plenty of horse activities, bicycling, and good hiking without leaving town. Very good camping close by, nice weekend or day trips to other good areas to go.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:26 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,673,322 times
Heh, if your coming from Austin, your gonna be really bored here.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:51 PM

3,185 posts, read 11,057,545 times
Here would be some ideas (I am listing a bunch, so rather than getting too descriptive, I have just linked the respective web sites and you can click there and check them out yourself):

Annual Arts International Exhibition
El Paso Arts International Exhibition

Viva El Paso!
Home

Alfresco! Fridays
El Paso Convention and Visitors Bureau

El Paso Kids-N-Co
KIDS-N-CO

Mission Ysleta
*The site of this mission was first used as a refugee camp in 1675 for Pueblo Indians who were escaping Apache raiders. The Spanish settled Tigua Indian refugees of the Pueblo Revolt at Ysleta in 1680.
Ysleta Mission

El Paso Opera
El Paso Opera

El Paso Playhouse Theatre
index

El Paso Pro-Musica (chamber music)
El Paso Pro-Musica

El Paso Symphony Orchestra
El Paso Symphony Orchestra - Home

Jazz El Paso
Jazz El Paso Connection - El Paso Jazz - El Paso Live Music - El Paso Events

Music Under The Stars

Spencer Theater for the Performing Arts (in Ruidoso, NM - 130 miles from EP)
The official website of the Spencer Theater for the Performing Arts, Ruidoso, New Mexico. Your first choice for entertainment in Ruidoso, NM.

UTEP Dinner Theater
academics.utep.edu/udt > Home

Wyler Ariel Tramway
TPWD: Wyler Aerial Tramway

A few fairly notable nearby "day trip" options:

White Sands National Monument (near Alamogordo, NM - 80 miles from EP)
White Sands National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

Mt. Cristo Rey
*"On the west side off McNutt Road in Sunland Park, N.M. Atop an
800-foot peak stands a magnificent 29-foot statue of Christ by internationally acclaimed Spanish sculptor Urbici Soler, the site of an annual pilgrimage on Easter Sunday."

Carlsbad Caverns (Carlsbad, NM - 155 miles from EP)
Carlsbad Caverns National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

----------------

A good place to get general ideas / starting points (not just for EP but for most any bigger sized city) would be the EP Chamber's various listings:

Overall:
El Paso Convention and Visitors Bureau / Culture and Heritage

Here are museum listings:

El Paso Convention and Visitors Bureau / Museums

Here are winery listings:

El Paso Convention and Visitors Bureau / Wineries

Here are galleries / art gallery listings:

El Paso Convention and Visitors Bureau / Galleries Galore

Here are golf listings if you are into that:

El Paso Convention and Visitors Bureau / Got Golf?

*Here are some outdoors listings too:

El Paso Convention and Visitors Bureau / The Great Outdoors

*Daytrip ideas:

El Paso Convention and Visitors Bureau / Day Trips

Hopefully this will help as a good started place to research various events / activities to do in EP!! Good luck!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:35 PM

13,140 posts, read 35,994,034 times
Wow EnjoyEP....that was alot of good info. That would have been a good ''Sticky Thread'' as that's great advice for those moving to EP who have no clue about those kind of things.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:28 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,673,322 times
And most people who live here cant afford to goto any of them. And if they can, dont. Why, I dont know. Its an El Paso thing..

So yeah check out the web pages, and then get a computer and buy yourself a great game, or a big screen TV, and get used to spending time at home, because thats what El Pasoans do.. Culture here is shooting a gun in the air and screaming like a banshi... while at a cook out with your familia.

That or a dive bar some place.. really.. EnJoyEP means well and he does a great job as a mod. But really.. Come down, spend a couple weeks and you'll see.. El Paso is not like any other place in the world. You have to experiance it for yourself. We can not tell you one way or the other what El Paso has to offer you.

El Paso is a Poor city, low income city, and it is spread out far and wide. I really think you should come down and scout it out, and see for yourself, how El Paso really is, and not buy into the hype or advetising of a few web pages.. heck after seeing the video on the El Paso web sight.. I wanted to move here.. but then walked outside and went.. wow what a load of crap.

Come down and experiance it.. you'll see what I mean.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:18 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,745,541 times
El Paso is different. It's really not for those who want to go to the ballet every other night and the opera the off night. It's not an "artsy-fartsy" kind of town. It is what it is.

If you want to spend a lot of time outdoors, it's a good town, might not have some fantastic play to attend, but you can go up on the mountain and watch a pretty spectacular sunset. You can ride bicycles, horses, golf, play tennis, run or just walk just about every day of the year, have that cook out with the family without weather becoming an issue.

It could be better. I never understand -- although I'm not complaining -- when you're outside here you're not going to be bothered by tons of other people usually. To me it seems that even though we have a river running right through town, not much is done with it. The hiking trails up in the Franklin are nice and desolate usually, it can be a perfect day and you won't run into too many people but then to me that's actually a plus. You can feel like you've got the whole place to yourself.

It's a laid back kind of city. Spread out like a city in the southwest would be. Pockets of housing surrounded by arroyos and mountain, giving people a sense of open space. You can feel like you're living in a much smaller town at time, traffic isn't bad unless there is an accident.

You can feel cut off from "what's happening" out here. We're remote, it's miles and miles of Texas before you get to Dallas or Austin or San Antonio but we're in reach of some very nice wilderness and mountain areas but still with a couple of malls in case you want to spend your time shopping.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:34 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,994,034 times
Muhnay.....i know it's been closed for years what did happen to the Putt Putt out on Dyer going towards Newman?? Who or what is there now as i remember the Giant T-Rex out there. Are there any Mini Golf places in Northeast???

Old 06-03-2008, 08:11 AM

3,185 posts, read 11,057,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
El Paso is different. It's really not for those who want to go to the ballet every other night and the opera the off night. It's not an "artsy-fartsy" kind of town. It is what it is.

If you want to spend a lot of time outdoors, it's a good town, might not have some fantastic play to attend, but you can go up on the mountain and watch a pretty spectacular sunset. You can ride bicycles, horses, golf, play tennis, run or just walk just about every day of the year, have that cook out with the family without weather becoming an issue.
I agree largely with the two statements above by malamute. Very well stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or