U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 11:30 PM

246 posts, read 517,258 times

Advertisements

I think you all would agree that most of sports fans in El Paso live off UTEP football and basketball seasons. However I wish El Paso had some respectable professional sports teams. Im not talking about having NBA, NFL, MLB, etc. Im talking about some of the smaller semi-pro teams we have now and used to have. Some of the teams that El Paso used to have were:

El Paso Rumble ( Indoor Football)
El Paso Flames (basketball)
El Paso Buzzards (Hockey)
El Paso Mustangs (football)

How many of you remember those teams.Those teams just fell apart and had financial problems and others sorts of that nature. The El Paso Buzzards however became a huge success in their early years including two championships. However the owner was corrupted and eventually the team was disbanded.

And how did we lose our only double-A baseball team? Poor attendance? ticket prices? Losing the El Paso diablos double-A squad was the last straw for me. Sorry to say but professional ball in El Paso is in a sad state right now. We couldn't even keep up our Affiliate diablos team especially with Cohen Stadium!

And does anyone go to El Paso Patriots games anymore. I don't even know where the play at anymore since Dudley was torn down. Plus they had to move down leagues at least twice since the began playing as a franchise.

So who knows whats in store for the future of pro sports in El Paso. Maybe with the new Arena proposal in the Downtown Revitalization will start to change things but right now it just play sucks because I want to see the quality of professional sports get better soon!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 11:45 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,663,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utelpaso88 View Post
I think you all would agree that most of sports fans in El Paso live off UTEP football and basketball seasons. However I wish El Paso had some respectable professional sports teams. I'm not talking about having NBA, NFL, MLB, etc. Im talking about some of the smaller semi-pro teams we have now and used to have. Some of the teams that El Paso used to have were:

El Paso Rumble ( Indoor Football)
El Paso Flames (basketball)
El Paso Buzzards (Hockey)
El Paso Mustangs (football)

You forgot the Rattlers. The inline Hockey team we had.

How many of you remember those teams.Those teams just fell apart and had financial problems and others sorts of that nature. The El Paso Buzzards however became a huge success in their early years including two championships. However the owner was corrupted and eventually the team was disbanded.

THIS IS A LIE. The team wanted more of the concession sales and more handling of their financial future.. the city would not give up the concession or allow the team to get any more money than what they had coming in already.. so the team could not afford its power players, or expand the team.. at one time the owner was trying to have his own arena built but the city blocked him at every turn.. so the team folded.

And how did we lose our only double-A baseball team? Poor attendance? ticket prices? Losing the El Paso diablos double-A squad was the last straw for me. Sorry to say but professional ball in El Paso is in a sad state right now. We couldn't even keep up our Affiliate diablos team especially with Cohen Stadium!

Now the guy who owned this team was corrupt, and sold the team off.

And does anyone go to El Paso Patriots games anymore. I don't even know where the play at anymore since Dudley was torn down. Plus they had to move down leagues at least twice since the began playing as a franchise.

They were playing just below Fort Bliss Officer club. Soccer is not my thing so no I don't go.

So who knows whats in store for the future of pro sports in El Paso. Maybe with the new Arena proposal in the Downtown Revitalization will start to change things but right now it just play sucks because I want to see the quality of professional sports get better soon!!
This is one of the points I have been making about El Paso all along. And you just proved it for me. We wont have a pro sports team like any of those again, unless investors believe that the people of this city will support it... and right now they don't think so. Also we need better leadership in our city.. our city council is awful... we need open thinkers who are willing to take chances and attract these sorta things.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:10 PM

195 posts, read 569,209 times
Muhnay, you are absolutely right! El Paso needs some good leadership for once, it seems like they had it back in the mid 1900's. But right now, they are a joke! Plus i don't know if El Pasoans could support a pro sports team let alone a real pro sports team like in the NFL, MLB, or NBA. But i agree with you dawg!

Old 06-11-2008, 06:13 AM

5,402 posts, read 12,179,859 times
I attended the Astros/Brewers game last night at Minute Maid Park and was thinking about El Paso/this thread. My wife, and three kids, ages 1.5 to 5 years old all went.

Full house, air-conditioned, cold beer, pizzas and hotdogs for the kids, lots of eye candy if you know what I mean, and overall just a fun time (Houston won 6 to 1).

Then I got to thinking of what El Paso lacks in terms of sports, and it is a shame that many people living there will never experience this sort of thing, but I think the reason is that El Paso in general would not support professional sports. I'm sure there are a lot of sports fans there, but how many would be willing to put their money where there mouth is in regards to sports?

The posts I've made in the El Paso forum have an economic theme to them as this is the complaint I have about El Paso. Some people are happy just to get mediocre jobs, minimum wage jobs which does bring in money to the coffers of El Paso, but what is needed is residual, or disposable income.

So while others cheer and are happy to attract *any* job, I say El Paso needs to attract high paying jobs, people with disposable income will be in better shape to support sports teams as attending the games is not cheap, especially professional sports.

If there are any teams in El Paso, and El Pasoans likes them, then people need to go and show their support with their dollars. These teams are there not only to entertain, but to make a profit. No profit, why stay?

Old 06-11-2008, 10:13 AM

507 posts, read 1,410,461 times
You have to understand that the eintire City as a whole is one BIG giant BandWagon. They only support teams if they are doing good. If a professional Pro Team came into the area and wasnt very good, They would go under in a matter of 4 seasons maybe less.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:08 PM

246 posts, read 517,258 times
I'm bringing this subject back up after all the hoopla about the Texas vs The Nation's poor attendance. I was there, but was very disappointed in the turnout. Last year they brought in over 40,000 fans, but only 26,000 or less this year. Now there's talk of taking it out of El Paso. What is it going to take for El Paso to support these events and pro franchise's. Thats the current subject on KROD sports talk. And I also can;t believe we lost the arena football team the El Paso Generals after only 1 season in which they made the playoffs! Again! Right now I think we're the laughing stock of the Southwest because we can't support any major sporting events or pro franchises. El Paso is losing out on all of this and unless its starting showing support for these things in the future, you won't see any more semi-pro franchises (generals, buzzards, diablos) operate or succeed in the near future or even have NFL and NBA exhibition games here. Thats my two cents.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:48 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,701,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utelpaso88 View Post
I'm bringing this subject back up after all the hoopla about the Texas vs The Nation's poor attendance. I was there, but was very disappointed in the turnout. Last year they brought in over 40,000 fans, but only 26,000 or less this year. Now there's talk of taking it out of El Paso. What is it going to take for El Paso to support these events and pro franchise's. Thats the current subject on KROD sports talk. And I also can;t believe we lost the arena football team the El Paso Generals after only 1 season in which they made the playoffs! Again! Right now I think we're the laughing stock of the Southwest because we can't support any major sporting events or pro franchises. El Paso is losing out on all of this and unless its starting showing support for these things in the future, you won't see any more semi-pro franchises (generals, buzzards, diablos) operate or succeed in the near future or even have NFL and NBA exhibition games here. Thats my two cents.
I never even heard of this game (Texas Vs. Nation) until recently. It seems too late after the college season ends and at this point nobody is really paying attention to college football with the super bowl hype and hoops season getting into full swing. I think it just gets lost in the time of year it's played.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:33 AM

714 posts, read 1,597,291 times
I think perhaps b/c TX vs. the Nation does not draw any of the big name college players. I think lipbalm is right....pretty late in the season and the only other football left is the Super Bowl. I think El Paso does support; the Sun Bowl would not have lasted this long unless EP residents supported it. This year's game is prime evidence of that. But, the Sun Bowl is a local product...I believe TX vs. the Nation is just held here but can be held anywhere. I also think with the big business of combines, these all star games are on their way out - Shrine game only drew 9000< and the Hula Bowl folded.

I honestly believe that El Paso cannot support a major pro team, but CAN bring something here like an NFL or NBA pre-season game with TX teams involved. We get excited for these "one time" events, as evidenced by the UT game in 2008. I do think El Paso can be a great spring training place for an MLB team.....look at all the income cities make just by being a spring training site.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:24 PM

2,625 posts, read 10,050,046 times
Wwe wrestling events and the monter truck shows do really well here! I was kinda suprised that the ceo and president totally talked so bad about El paso, and said that the Texas vs THE Nation game was going to be moved next year due to bad attendance, and the today hes like "SORRY!" 26,000 fans is really good for an all star game. Texas vs. The Nation CEO apologizes for comments, says 'we will be back' - El Paso Times Last years 42000 was spectacular, i hope theyre not thinking that were going to have than many fans every year, 90% of the players are unknown, the only reason i go is to see the UTEP players and see what crazy helmet the Oregon players are wearing.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:27 PM

2,613 posts, read 5,122,394 times
Very few cities can support an NFL team. As a matter of fact, not all the current cities that have an NFL team can support an NFL team. It is not a slight on El Paso that we are no a pro sports team town. Not every city is.

I agree with Caltep and have been saying the same thing for years on this board. We need to buddy up to a franchise in each professional sport and create a program with them. A yearly NBA exhibition game - maybe we pair up with Phoenix or Dallas. A week or two of spring training with a MLB team. Give them full access to Cohen stadium for a week or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso