U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2008, 05:30 PM
 
13,140 posts, read 35,997,512 times
Reputation: 12077

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
What did y'all think of Larry Francis, mayor from '93 to '97?

I had followed much of what went on in EP (as much as you can from a distance of 300 miles) from '94 to '96 or so.
I don't remember much of him even though he was elected for 2 terms. I remember Suzi Azar (89-91) before him and served after Mayor Jon Rogers (81-89 my all time favorate) although she served for only 2 years which isn't long enough to accomplish much. She and her husband own Azar Nut Company and had a Canning plant i believe in Anthony TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2008, 09:48 PM
 
66 posts, read 79,891 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
please recall Cook, he is a wack job and has no business leading our city government.
I wholeheartedly agree that he is a wack job but it is getting crazy that any time that an elected official does something that some one doesn't like, there is a recall threat. Here is something novel- get out and vote in the first place, the percentage of voters here is terrible, which is why we get idiots in office

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Just sad that EP can't ever seem to get a mayor that kicks butt and really fights for the city. We need another Jon Rodgers (81-89) El Paso's only 4 term Mayor.
I remember Rodgers, but I have since heard stories that he told businesses who wanted to locate to El Paso that, in order to get his voter, they would have to use a local bank, as in his bank. Same old patronage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
What did y'all think of Larry Francis, mayor from '93 to '97?
From what I remember he seemed ok, the problem being that all the former mayors seemed to run together and don't really have that much difference between them. I definitely remember the Wardy administration because of the crap that went on with the City Attorney's office (I knew a bunch of people who got out of there when Elizondo became the City Attorney). The crap surrounding that has continued in litigation until recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I don't remember much of him even though he was elected for 2 terms. I remember Suzi Azar (89-91) before him and served after Mayor Jon Rogers (81-89 my all time favorate) although she served for only 2 years which isn't long enough to accomplish much. She and her husband own Azar Nut Company and had a Canning plant i believe in Anthony TX.

I know the Azar's socially but I really don't remember much of her term, too young at the time to care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2008, 10:30 AM
 
13,140 posts, read 35,997,512 times
Reputation: 12077
The recall effort to oust Mayor Cook failed so he will remain Mayor until the election in May of 2009.

Attempt to recall Mayor Cook fails - El Paso Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2008, 11:07 AM
 
639 posts, read 716,281 times
Reputation: 141
Thats GREAT NEWS, this recall California syndrome stuff, glad it did'nt work in El Paso now the mayor can continue been the mayor without interuption from the naysayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2008, 02:54 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 7,674,952 times
Reputation: 1105
See it would of passed had lazy El Pasoans got out and signed that petition. It is one of the reason why we have such a poor city council, we let the few decide for the many here. Too bad it failed. Ah well, lets hope he is not reelected,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2008, 11:08 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
200 posts, read 517,096 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Oh hey I agree.. but Cook is not the best face to put on our great city. He is a wack job and comes off as such in the many interviews he has done the nation has seen. Also I don't think he is well equipped for the job. So I say recall him, and do the same to the people you mention on the council.. lets start over.

Your assessment may very well be accurate, I became personally (& minorly) acquainted w/some of his family members including Cook himself in my younger days. Super nice guy, but not public office material in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2008, 12:19 AM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 7,674,952 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by anelizk View Post
Your assessment may very well be accurate, I became personally (& minorly) acquainted w/some of his family members including Cook himself in my younger days. Super nice guy, but not public office material in my opinion.
I have met the man a few times.. and I agree he is a very nice guy. I like him personally, I just don't think he is public office material either.

I had a contract with the Air Port and would run into Mayor Cook there every now and then... once while I was in a bomb class with the El Paso PD there at the Air Port... he walked in and was kinda silly because he knew he was in the wrong place. The lady that was there with us, got up and went out with him.. but he made sure to shake all our hands in the room and say hello. So yeah he is a nice guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2008, 04:49 AM
 
13,140 posts, read 35,997,512 times
Reputation: 12077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I have met the man a few times.. and I agree he is a very nice guy. I like him personally, I just don't think he is public office material either.

I had a contract with the Air Port and would run into Mayor Cook there every now and then... once while I was in a bomb class with the El Paso PD there at the Air Port... he walked in and was kinda silly because he knew he was in the wrong place. The lady that was there with us, got up and went out with him.. but he made sure to shake all our hands in the room and say hello. So yeah he is a nice guy.

Kinda the opposite up here in Albuquerque in that everybody ''Hates'' the Mayor Martin Chavez as his personality and ''Dictatorial'' attitude sucks and yet give credit where credit is due as Albuquerque is really Booming on every sectorn and he's everywhere involved in moving this city forward. He even has a weekly radio call in show (1550 a.m. saturdays 12.00-1.00 p.m.) and a once monthly TV show on GOV TV to address the issues of citizens up here.

Wonder who will run against Cook next year????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2008, 02:27 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 7,674,952 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Kinda the opposite up here in Albuquerque in that everybody ''Hates'' the Mayor Martin Chavez as his personality and ''Dictatorial'' attitude sucks and yet give credit where credit is due as Albuquerque is really Booming on every sectorn and he's everywhere involved in moving this city forward. He even has a weekly radio call in show (1550 a.m. saturdays 12.00-1.00 p.m.) and a once monthly TV show on GOV TV to address the issues of citizens up here.

Wonder who will run against Cook next year????
See thats what we need a real big prick that will get things done. who will have his/her nose in every project and will be a thorn in the sides of council members and powers that be to get things accomplished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2008, 03:13 PM
 
13,140 posts, read 35,997,512 times
Reputation: 12077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
See thats what we need a real big prick that will get things done. who will have his/her nose in every project and will be a thorn in the sides of council members and powers that be to get things accomplished.
Also they pay the Mayor and City Department heads over $100,000 a year in ABQ infact the Mayor makes more than Gov Richardson i believe and i thought the EP mayor makes $40,000 a year?? as that could discourage some good people to run for office as they may make well above that and then look at the salaries and say the heck with that job.

Mayor Martin Chavez is super unpopular with his Red Light Camera's and banning of Smoking at ''Outdoor'' City Parks and Golf Courses and yet looks like he'll crush whoever runs against him as he does deliver results for the citizens here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top