U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 10:42 AM

13,140 posts, read 36,001,283 times

Advertisements

WOW!!! I just read about that this today as a recall effort is being put together as many are opposed to the Stormwater fees. From my take he's raised these fees because of the flooding in the recient past so he's trying to get these projects built. But on the opposite end is people and businesses are saying the fees are too high.

Who'd run if successful ?? Former pro buisiness Mayor Wardy?? Anyway interesting .......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 01:04 PM

5,402 posts, read 12,196,901 times
How much rain does El Paso get per year?

I don't live in El Paso, so I really don't have a say in whether it is really needed, or not. However, I *did* live in El Paso growing up, and I witnessed flooding as a kid, but only once, or twice.

I think perhaps the mayor is trying to use the floods of 2006 as an excuse to bring in revenue to the city. I'm now old enough to have seen this scheme executed numerous times. A tax to build something, or address a problem when that potential problem should have been addressed the first time during construction/planning.

Once El Paso let's the city institute a new tax, it will never be taken away, only increased forevermore. The funds do initially address the problems, but then they are quietly diverted to other things, such as bonuses, retirement plans, etc. Things it was never meant to be used for.

Also, if severe flooding affects only certain areas of the city, it's a shame that other parts of the city have to pay for the poor planning and quality improvements they may never benefit from.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:18 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,676,827 times
I need to find my pictures of the 2004 Flood the 2005 flood and then the flood that got all the attention in 2006. Then I can show you how much rain El Paso gets. ever since they built the damn, err freeway off ramp at the end of my street, any time it rains we get water up to our front door, if not int the house. We have a law suit in place now with the city and water department.. when I say we, the few of us here on the street that banded together to get them to fix the problem.

please recall Cook, he is a wack job and has no business leading our city government.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:33 PM

639 posts, read 716,565 times
It's totally wrong to re call mayor John Cook, it was not the mayor that caused the floods of 06, the main fault lies with the city planning engineers and developers who did'nt provide adequete storm drains and reservors for rain runoff in any affected neighborhoods that flooded out in 06, but then again they probably never ever gave it any thought about what if.

When my neighborhood was built in the sixties my street was the only street in El Paso that was not paved, infact the street did'nt get paved till after I moved out of El Paso in 1988 and my street would turn into a lake and all residents had to park their cars at the entrance of our street and we never sued anyone about the muddy mess that mother nature would dump on us everytime we got a big rain storm.

The floods of 06 exposed what areas need serious work that or condem the area and get people out of there, this storm drain tax really dont make any sense because once it's initiated it will remain taxing everyone, I think that they should not proceed with such a stupid tax, bad timing when El Pasoans are already taxed more than their fair share.

It's the cities responsibility to fix the problem and whom ever was sittin in the mayor's office at the time that those expose neighborhoods were built, those are the ones that should have been re called, now you as tax payers will have to foot the bill just for some lousy re call, the person that instigated this recall more than likely has a grudge or is just trying to make puplicity for themselfs and besides I do believe that it was the city manager that started all this storm tax mess why isnt she talking?

Old 06-15-2008, 03:35 PM

They are not recalling him because of the Floods HIGH.. but because he sucks as a mayor, and is raising our already high tax rate again to deal with these flood waters. It should fall to the budget and company that deals with this and not punish the people with higher taxes because they failed to do their jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
It's totally wrong to re call mayor John Cook, it was not the mayor that caused the floods of 06, the main fault lies with the city planning engineers and developers who did'nt provide adequete storm drains and reservors for rain runoff in any affected neighborhoods that flooded out in 06, but then again they probably never ever gave it any thought about what if.

When my neighborhood was built in the sixties my street was the only street in El Paso that was not paved, infact the street did'nt get paved till after I moved out of El Paso in 1988 and my street would turn into a lake and all residents had to park their cars at the entrance of our street and we never sued anyone about the muddy mess that mother nature would dump on us everytime we got a big rain storm.

The floods of 06 exposed what areas need serious work that or condem the area and get people out of there, this storm drain tax really dont make any sense because once it's initiated it will remain taxing everyone, I think that they should not proceed with such a stupid tax, bad timing when El Pasoans are already taxed more than their fair share.

It's the cities responsibility to fix the problem and whom ever was sittin in the mayor's office at the time that those expose neighborhoods were built, those are the ones that should have been re called, now you as tax payers will have to foot the bill just for some lousy re call, the person that instigated this recall more than likely has a grudge or is just trying to make puplicity for themselfs and besides I do believe that it was the city manager that started all this storm tax mess why isnt she talking?

Old 06-15-2008, 03:47 PM

639 posts, read 716,565 times
I kinda find this as a bitter pill because there are some city representitives that should'nt be in office and they are alot worst than anything the mayor has done or has not done at all, example Melina Castro, Eddie Holguin, Rachel Quintana, and that other guy that left, Alejandro Lozano, this re call is just as bad as the strom itself, your better bet is to meet the mayor when he runs for re election then you can sent him on to retirement.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:17 PM

Oh hey I agree.. but Cook is not the best face to put on our great city. He is a wack job and comes off as such in the many interviews he has done the nation has seen. Also I don't think he is well equipped for the job. So I say recall him, and do the same to the people you mention on the council.. lets start over.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:33 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,761,562 times
I agree with what's being posted. We already pay ungodly property taxes here and our roads are full of potholes and there is no good rain water management.

At least give back the other taxes we pay and then we can pay this "fee" which is really just another tax that will do what they should have been doing with the first taxes.

Much of the problem in the rains is that the mountains already had a very good rain water management system of their own. There's a river that carries the water off, there are the arroyos that take the water to the river. The river isn't the problem because flooding from the river itself was resolved many years ago with Elephant Butte Dam and Caballo Dam and the irrigation canals.

Greedy developers however brought in truckloads of dirt to fill in arroyos and flatten areas of the mountain to build their cheap but expensive houses and other buildings. The problem for people whose houses have been in place for many many years is that the damaged arroyos could no longer take care of the rains and the landscaping of those newer subdivisions higher up washed down right into their living rooms. There's a reason the mountain wasn't coated with many feet of soft dirt -- it washes away, it has always washed away, it will always wash away.

And it's not just our own poor planning, but in Juarez they had an earthen dam with housing tracts built right under it, that became too full and they had to pump the water out, and that water has to end up in the same river all the water ends up in and that's when areas in town flooded.

So now even though they've been heaping taxes on us that they should have used for infrastructure but never did, they want to heap on more taxes and people are to the breaking point.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:24 PM

13,140 posts, read 36,001,283 times
Wondering if Mayor Cook has any call in shows on the Radio or Tv. One thing i like about the Mayor of Albuquerque is that he has an hour long Tv call in show every month and also a weekly hour radio show where he either has guests i.e. Police Chief, Economic Developement Head or Parks and Rec Director etc...and also takes calls from citizens about ANY concern they have and either's answers it or tells them to call the Mayors office and he'll get them the answer.

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 06-15-2008 at 06:48 PM..

Old 06-15-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Wondering if Mayor Cook has any call in shows on the Radio or Tv. One thing i like about the Mayor of Albuquerque is that he has an hour long Tv call in show every month and also a weekly hour radio show where he either has guests i.e. Police Chief, Economic Developement Head or Parks and Rec Director etc...and also takes calls from citizens about ANY concern they have and either's answers it or tells them to call the Mayors office and he'll get them the answer.
Dude this is El Paso.. your kidding right? maybe 10 years from now they will catch on, but we'll still be 10 years behind what ever cool thing they are doing now in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or