U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 01:26 PM

246 posts, read 517,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smguy101 View Post
dont we have one high rise condo building? its by Utep isnt it?
its not really high rise its more mid rise
I don't think its a condo building but I might be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 01:31 PM

5,402 posts, read 12,177,518 times
Ahhh, now I see what you mean by Brownstones, I thought that was a neighborhood name.

I think one reason we don't have them is because we don't have to do that, we've plenty of open land. Common-walled homes are usually found in old city centers, built when no one considered living in suburban areas. Most homes in Europe are like this, and I think someone looking for a home would, if given the choice, choose a free standing home than one attached to a neighbors if the home was only one, or two stories.

The closest thing to that you have in El Paso are duplexes. Our families in Europe, and Argentina really envy that we live in free standing homes. To them, it is a status symbol, they think we are so lucky. 'All relative I guess.

I think what you are wanting, Munhay, is a themed, or master planned community based on common wall construction?

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 06-19-2008 at 02:10 PM..

Old 06-19-2008, 01:50 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,661,206 times
I disagree, if Duplexes are popular, then Brownstones should be even more so... you get more house with one.

Also just because we don't have to, does not mean we shouldn't. If we keep sprawling.. what makes El Paso great will be lost to us. We need to start thinking of new ways to make a smaller footprint... and give more reasonable housing that bonds communities.

Here are some more images.. these would make great homes in El Paso.. they can have a more Mexican, Western feel to them too..

Some of these may even be a good idea in the flood area, as you can see they rise up 10-15 feet above the ground level.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:43 PM

93 posts, read 264,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Condos have garages too, but you are limited in space, and you are usually alloted one spot, and have to pay for a second. Plus you can't store your junk in a condo garage, but again, they do have storage, but guess what, you have to pay!
Where I live, no condo comes with free parking. If you want parking, you have to buy the space separately! Especially downtown. I know people who's sole business and source of income is to buy parking spots and either resell them, or rent them out!!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:30 PM

200 posts, read 516,575 times
I live in a high rise apt. in downtown Jakarta. Those high rise condo/apts/shopping center one-stop-shops that are cropping up in "Houston & Boise" are commonplace here, because it's so densely populated that a 20 min trip to the store could easily take 2 hours due to traffic. I'm sure we'll see more of these popping up all over the US & El Paso sooner than later w/the cost of fuel.

These high rise condo/apt may sound & look uber-appealing & "sophisto" when depicted in pop culture t.v. shows, but you'd gasp in disbelief if I told you how much our rent is for a 2 bedrm one-of-these that's maybe 1800 sq ft. Especially, when you can hear your neighbor's screaming infant behind the wall of your living room while trying to watch a movie. Furthermore, the hassle of people knowing your business & just being too close for comfort.

Take it from me, the grass is always greener on the other side. We should relish in our surplus of wide open space in the Southwest. Besides why would you want to pay 300,000+ for your living space to be attached to another unit & potentially not have a garage if not your own? Last time I checked, a great many of El Pasoans are on tight budgets.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:16 AM

5,402 posts, read 12,177,518 times
Anelizk, my company had asked me if I'd be interested in relocating to Abu Dhabi recently. The rent for a 3 bedroom flat was 95K US per year, paid in full, up front. Of course, my company would have been footing the bill. 'Just threw that out for comparison.

There is currently an opportunity for me to relocate to LA, but again, my 3k sq ft home in Houston which I paid only 160K for will cost me over 1.3 million in LA, I've been told. I could get a small home of 1500 sq ft for about 600K. 'Don't think I'll take up that opportunity either.

Regards

Old 06-22-2008, 04:44 AM

200 posts, read 516,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Anelizk, my company had asked me if I'd be interested in relocating to Abu Dhabi recently. The rent for a 3 bedroom flat was 95K US per year, paid in full, up front. Of course, my company would have been footing the bill. 'Just threw that out for comparison.

There is currently an opportunity for me to relocate to LA, but again, my 3k sq ft home in Houston which I paid only 160K for will cost me over 1.3 million in LA, I've been told. I could get a small home of 1500 sq ft for about 600K. 'Don't think I'll take up that opportunity either.

Regards
Your experience w/the Abu Dhabi offer is very similar to mine, however, it was "go to Indonesia or possibly get sent to Iraq" for my husband (he's a Navy pilot), our obscene rent is on the dime of good folks like yourself!

Your smart for turning down LA, while CA is beautiful, the advantages you spoke of in Houston far outweigh getting to go to the beach! We're headed to Alb. NM come Nov.& we're looking forward to those same advantages also!

Cheers!

Old 06-22-2008, 06:50 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anelizk View Post
I live in a high rise apt. in downtown Jakarta. Those high rise condo/apts/shopping center one-stop-shops that are cropping up in "Houston & Boise" are commonplace here, because it's so densely populated that a 20 min trip to the store could easily take 2 hours due to traffic. I'm sure we'll see more of these popping up all over the US & El Paso sooner than later w/the cost of fuel.

These high rise condo/apt may sound & look uber-appealing & "sophisto" when depicted in pop culture t.v. shows, but you'd gasp in disbelief if I told you how much our rent is for a 2 bedrm one-of-these that's maybe 1800 sq ft. Especially, when you can hear your neighbor's screaming infant behind the wall of your living room while trying to watch a movie. Furthermore, the hassle of people knowing your business & just being too close for comfort.

Take it from me, the grass is always greener on the other side. We should relish in our surplus of wide open space in the Southwest. Besides why would you want to pay 300,000+ for your living space to be attached to another unit & potentially not have a garage if not your own? Last time I checked, a great many of El Pasoans are on tight budgets.

Yes -- to me the Southwest is about big skies and open space. It's supposed to sprawl because we like elbow room. I think the houses going up are far too close together and look all the same.

I prefer the older neighborhoods here where the yards are bigger, or especially certain non-subdivision type neighborhoods where all the houses look quite different from each other.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:31 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,661,206 times
Hey MAL, same houses and style and just a foot or two between them out here as well.. so we might as well build brownstones.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:39 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Hey MAL, same houses and style and just a foot or two between them out here as well.. so we might as well build brownstones.
Well --- I think there are some condos -- somewhere on Resler north and south of Mesa St, and I think I've seen others in that same general area. There are quite a few duplexes where you can own one half a house.

You're right -- the way the new subdivisions look with only enough space to squeeze between the houses if you're skinny, they might as well be like those brownstones. The houses all have the same look just like those brownstones.

What we don't have are trees like those, the brick and the steps up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or