Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 06:22 PM

575 posts, read 884,303 times

Advertisements

wish people wouldn't look at the dates before replying to years old threads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 04:18 PM

797 posts, read 752,285 times
Very

Old 11-26-2014, 09:46 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,388,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMexicano View Post
El Paso is 63% Mexican almost 2/3rds I mean it sits right on the border so of course it is going to be mostly Mexcian and Mexican Americans and Mexicans make up 87% of the Hispanic Latinos in El Paso. Anglo Whites make up about 18% of the El Paso population. Most border cities will be heavily populated with people of Mexican ancestry in Southwest border states of Texas, California, Arizona, and New Mexico. Remember much of these areas use to be part of Mexico and some Mexican Americans have ancestors that lived in these parts before it became part of the U.S. I think Texas joined the Union in 1845 and California in 1850 but their were Mexicans living in these lands in the 1700's and if they have Amerindian ancestry then of course way before then.
You make it sound like it is very important that parts of the SW were held by Mexico. In reality that time was short, and the area very very sparsely populated and administrated. Again, as stated earlier part of the SW were sold out by Mexico by purchasing with good old american $$$.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:23 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,218,228 times
more mexican that a tortilla tan tan! Lol

Old 11-26-2014, 04:51 PM

575 posts, read 884,303 times
Well, I think WWDude left out the Spaniards.

this is a very old thread to respond to the OP; but I think El Paso is More Mexican-American than Mexican, per se. And I'm Anglo, and I've never felt discriminated here. It helps if you have an appreciation of Hispanic culture.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:50 PM

56 posts, read 156,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonaldson View Post
After learning that El Paso is a Hispanic-dominated city I was wondering if there is any discrimination faced by the Caucasian minority?

I ask this question because my sister visited the city on a business trip and told me that El Paso is more Mexican than American and that the Mexican residents tend to treat the Caucasians like outsiders. In addition, she also mentioned that many of the Hispanic residents seem to proclaim themselves as Mexican first and don't want anything to do with America.

Is this true?
"told me that El Paso is more Mexican than American"

How is something "American". There is no such thing as American culture or race, so can something be more Mexian than American? Or by American does she mean white or Anglo? Is she saying people of Mexican descent are not American? Only anglos? No El Paso is not less American than other cities. yes we are mostly Hispanic/Latino but that does not make us less American than anybody else. Yes, of course Mexican culture is part of El Paso but so is Italian culture in New York or Irish culture in Boston, yet no one says those cities are more Italian than American (whatever that means). Now if you think only Anglos and their culture is American, then no you would not consider this an American city at all since anglos dont have much influence here.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:34 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,831,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
You make it sound like it is very important that parts of the SW were held by Mexico. In reality that time was short, and the area very very sparsely populated and administrated. Again, as stated earlier part of the SW were sold out by Mexico by purchasing with good old american $$$.
Yeah...

If a horde of Canadians moved to Maine, decided they'd run things there as they saw fit and thumbed their nose at our laws, declared the state independent when we tried to shut them down, annexed the land to Canada, picked a boundary dispute with us, started another war over that, beat the hell out of us in it, then grabbed the rest of New England and upstate New York in a treaty they got to write because they had us over the barrel, in the 19th century, we'd still be kind of PO'd at Canada, too. That's basically what we did to Mexico in the 1830s and 1840s.

But I don't think anybody takes the idea of Mexico reclaiming Texas, Nuevo Mexico and Alta California seriously except American nativists and maybe a few Chicano militants and a fringe element in Mexico. Mexico actually studied the idea long ago in the Zimmermann Telegram incident during World War I, in which Germany sneakily tried to get Mexico into the war on their side with promises of helping them reconquer the lost territories; President Venustiano Carranza appointed a commission to look at the proposal and, despite the uproar over here when the news broke, their conclusion was--forget it. Some of the conclusions of the commission probably still hold true today, basically: trying to do a Vladimir Putin in the US Southwest would cost Mexico more in military resources and international goodwill that the lost territories were worth, it would start another war with us in which we'd beat the crap out of them again, and even if they could take this land back, the millions and millions of largely English-speaking, culturally American people living in it now would probably object--strongly, maybe even violently--to being made Mexican citizens willy-nilly.

I'm pretty sure Canadian culture is something to be reckoned with along the Canadian border, too, actually.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:43 AM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano915 View Post
"told me that El Paso is more Mexican than American"

How is something "American". There is no such thing as American culture or race, so can something be more Mexian than American? Or by American does she mean white or Anglo? Is she saying people of Mexican descent are not American? Only anglos? No El Paso is not less American than other cities. yes we are mostly Hispanic/Latino but that does not make us less American than anybody else. Yes, of course Mexican culture is part of El Paso but so is Italian culture in New York or Irish culture in Boston, yet no one says those cities are more Italian than American (whatever that means). Now if you think only Anglos and their culture is American, then no you would not consider this an American city at all since anglos dont have much influence here.
With this though process you cannot be "Mexican" either.

The word American means people from the United States of America.

The word Mexican means people form the United Mexican States.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:18 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,831,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano915 View Post

I don't get those first two sentences, either, but I think you have a point with the rest of it. Lots of Italians in New York, lots of Irish in Boston, lots of Germans in Wisconsin, lots of Danes, Norwegians and Swedes in Minnesota, lots of French-Canadians in Maine. Italian or Irish culture or whatever is important in those places, but they're also in the US and their culture is basically American, and it's the same way in El Paso. It's an American city, with a Mexican influence.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:08 AM

56 posts, read 156,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
With this though process you cannot be "Mexican" either.

The word American means people from the United States of America.

The word Mexican means people form the United Mexican States.
Mexican is not just a nationality, but also a culture and an ethnicity.
American is not an ethnicity, but a nationality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso