U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 11:39 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times

Advertisements

I don't think redneck is that bad of a word. I thought it referred to a hard working type of person, like a farmer who works outside and gets a red neck from the sun. There's an old country song "Rednecks, white socks, and blue ribbon beer" that makes it seem like an okay thing to be, a non-pretentious working type person, from a rural area.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:49 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I had a big debate with TexasReb about the word redneck. I can lean either way on it.. it is a racial slur and then it is also a term for someone who works outside in the hot sun all day like a cowboy or a maintenance worker on a street crew etc.. because if you have ever done either you know how red your neck can get out there in our Texas sun. The way it was used here I find it to be more of a slur use.. It would be like if I asked, Are the wet - backs in El Paso friendly.. now if I were to do that, you know Heaven would open up and the angels of condemnment would be on my back poking me with their spears of righteousness showing me the error of my ways.. Even if I did not mean anything by it. I an willing to bet just saying it as I have here may get it deleted.. because its not nice.. just as the term Red Neck is not either.
That other word I don't think is bad either because the first time I heard it I didn't know what I meant and someone here, hispanic in fact, told me it was because of the inner tubes and rafts day laborers used to use to come over and it got their backs wet but not the rest of them.

I guess any word can be bad depending on how it's said but some words get started because they're simpler ways of describing someone.

The thing is -- and we all know it -- there is that divide in El Paso, it exists. People are for the most part cordial at least face to face and in mixed company but we all know what gets said, that some here think Americans really don't belong here but things get said on both sides. This town is split -- some feel more loyalty to Mexico and it's citizens, some to the USA and it's citizens. We all know so why pretend it isn't so. Maybe sometimes it's better just to clear the air -- but then again I know this forum wants to stay polite. When too much non-politeness is allowed then it can defeat the main purpose.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:31 AM

756 posts, read 1,756,860 times
I think someone could use the word redneck as a racial slur.....I am educated on racial slurs being from the south!!!
so far I have not met a redneck in el paso and I know a redneck when I see one, now I have met a few cowboys but that is not the same thing.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:23 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,151,033 times
I went to a country concert in ABQ on Wed. and Jason Aldean asked the crowd" how many rednecks we got here in Albuquerque" and the crowd screamed in joy, but of course no one was offended

Old 06-23-2008, 07:26 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,987,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I went to a country concert in ABQ on Wed. and Jason Aldean asked the crowd" how many rednecks we got here in Albuquerque" and the crowd screamed in joy, but of course no one was offended
Yeah i think in some cases to certain groups saying a racial slur will be accepted. If you go to some hard core Rap concert they may say the ''N Word'' thru out the concert yet it won't offend anyone there in the crowds or like i see on HBO late at nite the Black Comedians using that word and the audience laughing away but some really are offended by the ''N Word'' or other racial slurs towards different racial groups.

In today's world people of ALL races ought to know better by now as i remember companies getting sued big time for money. Also some states have hate crimes legislation as saying a racial slur in a crime will get you added time in Prison.

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 06-23-2008 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: Addition....6/3

Old 06-23-2008, 01:16 PM

3,185 posts, read 11,055,221 times
I don't see what this thread really has to do with life in El Paso or visiting El Paso, etc. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso