U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 01:50 AM

5,080 posts, read 7,665,726 times

Advertisements

I was cleaning up the yard today, and the wife and I decided to do some changes to the gate area where our trash cans sit.. well would if they were not these giant freaking huge plastic cans.

See back when I was younger we had 2 small metal round trash cans. They never seemed to get over filled, and they did the trick just fine.. the pad we had cemented in when I was younger worked perfectly for these cans. I also recall a time when Garbage men worked for a living, and would walk up to your house and grab your metal can and dump it in the truck and then return them to where they sat... not only once, but several times a week.

Now what do we have.. a guy in a truck that just drives along, and has a mechanical arm pick these huge cans up and dump them.. but done make them to heavy or the guy has to get out of his truck and he whines and cries because he had to work for once in his damn life. This is not progress, back then it would be a crew of 3 that meant more jobs for people.. now we have a truck and a guy. Now we have to do most of the work for them and pay a higher price for doing most of the work too. Now they don't even offer the curb side pick up.. you know where you had an old couch you no longer want, you stick it on the curb and call them they come by and pick it up.. nope they don't do that no more.

Did we consume less back then? Was Packaging smaller? Was the stuff we consumed more natural and left less waste? I know my Grandma, had a compost heap in the corner, she would put lettuce, and banana peels and so forth in it, and then use the soil it made in her flower beds... so that took less space in the can. We held onto cans too and would take them to the recycle truck that parked at Sunrise center, or Northgate mall, so that saved space in the can. News Papers and magazine you could bundle and they would be picked up and recycled too... so that saved space in the can... my Grandpa told me how they used to stuff news papers in walls as insulation... or in there clothes on really cold days back in Kansas when he was growing up.

So why do we have these large cans now? Because they come once a week.. and we are more of a throw away society now. And we have become lazy. Some change is not always good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 09:30 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,702,162 times
Well I have some insider information for you regarding solid waste department. Back when I was in College I worked for the sanitation department as an engineering intern. Let me say this, the good ole days were really not so good if you knew how much it cost to keep the "cadillac" service you mentioned. Also, it's a little known fact that the city actually makes a pretty good profit off the garbage collection fee it charges, and said profit goes into the city's generall fund to pay help offset the other city services (i.e. police, fire/ems, etc...) so it's a "de facto" tax. People outside the city limits generally pay a lower waste collection fee with at least twice a week pick up since the unincorporated areas are serviced by private companies and not the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or