U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:20 AM

5,080 posts, read 7,663,299 times

Advertisements

I am doing some renovation in my backyard garden.. what are some great plants to plant in my EL PASO garden?

What zone are we in, 6,7 or 8? I forget.

What kinda of fruit plants do really well in EL PASO?

See this is about El Paso and plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 07:56 AM

11,215 posts, read 7,605,444 times
I lived in the Chicagoland area and planted there the Russian Olive tree.
It grows very fast and can withstand cold spells. El Paso is a bit warm for it, but if its watered ofent it will do great. It can be trimmed to become a tree or let it alone and it will shape into a bush. It loses its leaves in the winter and has a great aroma in the spring. A nice and unique in the El Paso area alternative to the slow growing and expensive regular olive tree.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:06 PM

I will look into that, thanks wildwest.

I just looked up that tree and its very pretty.. silvery leaves and branches. Short life span though. I will give it some consideration. Thanks so much for the idea.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I will look into that, thanks wildwest.

I just looked up that tree and its very pretty.. silvery leaves and branches. Short life span though. I will give it some consideration. Thanks so much for the idea.
Hmm, wasn't aware of the short life span but this site states otherwise.
Notice also that it is tolerant to drought:

Russian Olive | Plant Information

but yet another one states:

"Life Span: Russian-olives are not a long-lived species. In the United States average life expectancy is about 50 years"

Old 06-24-2008, 08:19 PM

52 posts, read 273,761 times
Default plants for EP

Hi Muhnay,

I'm new to the board, but have lived in El Paso for 15 years and am very much a plant freak.

El Paso is z8b in most parts of the city while the low cold air drainage in the upper valley is z8a.

I wouldn't bother growing a Russian olive when real Mediterranean olives (Olea europaea) grow in abundance all over the city. Here is an old timer (maybe 50 or 60 years old).

This one is off Montana and Piedras.

For a plant with nice color the Red Bird of Paradise ( Caesalpinia pulcherrima) is a good choice. It needs full sun, and will die to the ground at the first freeze, but will come back from the roots in spring. It grow very fast, and is very low water/low maintenance.

A very nice small shrub that is low water and low maintenance is the Texas Sage (Leucophyllum frutescens). In mid to late summer, when the humidity starts to increase it explodes with an abundance of lavender/purple blooms

Texas Sage

This is just a few to start with. Of course there is also a wide variety of palms, yuccas and agaves I can show you if you're interested.

Mike

Old 06-24-2008, 09:18 PM

722 posts, read 1,786,123 times
The Oleander does tremendous here. Nice flowers on it. I like the purple plum for a tree.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:23 PM

Old 06-24-2008, 09:25 PM

http://www.bashamlandscape.com/images/purple_leaf_plum_big.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-24-2008, 09:33 PM

Yes, I would also highly recommend the Oleanders/Daphnes and the Texas Sage
The regular olive just takes too long to grow IMO

Old 06-24-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmac500 View Post
Hi Muhnay,

I'm new to the board, but have lived in El Paso for 15 years and am very much a plant freak.

El Paso is z8b in most parts of the city while the low cold air drainage in the upper valley is z8a.

I wouldn't bother growing a Russian olive when real Mediterranean olives (Olea europaea) grow in abundance all over the city. Here is an old timer (maybe 50 or 60 years old).

This one is off Montana and Piedras.

For a plant with nice color the Red Bird of Paradise ( Caesalpinia pulcherrima) is a good choice. It needs full sun, and will die to the ground at the first freeze, but will come back from the roots in spring. It grow very fast, and is very low water/low maintenance.

A very nice small shrub that is low water and low maintenance is the Texas Sage (Leucophyllum frutescens). In mid to late summer, when the humidity starts to increase it explodes with an abundance of lavender/purple blooms

Texas Sage

This is just a few to start with. Of course there is also a wide variety of palms, yuccas and agaves I can show you if you're interested.

Mike
Thanks for the insight.. I will look into those as well.. they all seem a bit large for my backyard.. but the Olive Tree I may have to try.. love the look of it.

As for Palms I want to plant 3 in my median ( between the sidewalk & road. Some of the plants you have shown here would be great additions to my houses front yard.. its next on my list. =)

Thanks for the advice and insight.. all of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or